Thread: new to ice fishing in ak

Default new to ice fishing in ak

I plan on getting back into ice fishing. I grew up in minnesota and did alot of fishing. I have a harder time up here catching the bows. i have some good lures i think and others have said they are good but it is always slow. Shrimp does not seem to work very well either. does anyone have any pointers?

I am looking as to where there may be good pike fishing in the mat su??

What about burbot or lakers??

Thank you for any advice you may have!!!

I am from Colorado originally. I find the rainbows can be quite nasty tasting or just fine. I do not fish for them summer or winter. Get an area map or use Google Earth.

Pike are found in many waters. Most are Nancy Lake area and farther out. Access VIA snowmachine can be better. Some of the popular lakes are getting a lot of pressure and fishing quality has dropped (Flathorn and Figure 8 for example).

Lakers are in Long Lake (mile 86 of the Glenn), Kenai, Hidden, Skilak on the Kenai, and Lake Louise area lakes. I fish the Lake Louise area myself.

I am still looking for my first burbot as I have never targeted them. Do a search on this site and you will find a few places and ideas.

Mike

For starters, right now is sort of the slow part of winter. Rainbows are pretty sluggish right now in most lakes. Go to lakes with multiple species. If not there is little competition for food and they just don't bite that much. Ya might hit Finger lake, lots of fish and some nice char and rainbows too. Great place for learning.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

i pulled a couple char last year out of finger but never really had a lot of success there.

I have had success in the summer on lake louise for lakers and definately will go back that way in the winter too just a long drive. My brother caught a 28lb laker out of there.
    never any luck on long lake and i thought i understood that they were not surviving in the lake. no luck in kenai lake as well but the is a big lake!! have not fished hidden or skilak.

I am pretty sure klutina lake has lakers and dollies. I do not know what the access is like now it has been years since i was there.
    thank you for the info.

the valley lakes are fished out! wait tell summer.. your just wasting your time going out now. anything within 10 miles of a road will be fished out.
    Semper Fi!

Long Lake still produces a few lakers. Please let the spawners go. Wind, snow banks and ice quality can be an issue.

Many lakes get little or no ice fishing pressure. I drove all over the valley for 2.5 years and it was amazing what people would tell me.

I have a lake to try in the next few weekends. I will PM you. Do you have a snowmachine?

Mike