Thread: bullet mold for 35 whelen

Default bullet mold for 35 whelen

I will have the rare opertunity to be at a big gun show in springfeild mo. this saturday and would like to get a bullet mold for a 35 whelen i have coming (dont have the gun yet) any opinions on a good mold?? I would like a GC design. thanks

I can heartily recommend the RCBS #82028 - BULLET MOULD .35-200-FN. If you can find one used, snap it up. It's an ideal bullet in every 35 cal I've tried it in. They list a #57944 - BULLET MOULD .35-250-SP CS with no picture. It's listed as SP rather than FN, but it still might still be good.

If you run across an old Lyman #3589, that is certainly interesting, even though I haven't managed to find one to try. It drops a nominal 282 grain gas checked bullet! It's not a true FN, but it's a really blunt RN along the lines of 500 grain 458 solids, so it just might be a great smacker even without the FN.

Default 35 cast mold

I am a 35 cal. nut and been think of getting into casting for the Whelen.
    I think a 280g or so hard cast would be just about right at around 2k fps. Have been looking for one of these molds but no luck.
    Read that a group buy on custom molds can be more economical by spreading out the cost of the setup. This might be an option.

It won't happen before a quick trip to a gun show, but LEE Precision has the best arrangements I've seen for making custom molds. Still not cheap, but the folks I know who've done it rave about the help they got along with great results.

The best is the discontinued lyman 3589 or 358009, same mold that drops a ~280 gr roundnose bullet. I managed to shoot a 5 shot 1" group at 100 yds with that bullet. The mold often commands a premium, I've heard of folks paying $100 for one.

If you can't find one, the best approach is to go to http://www.mountainmolds.com/

They have an online bullet design program, and they make very good molds, I have a few in .475" and for the $ you can't get a better custom mold. I'd say plug in 275gr for the design weight, and as cast of 0.359" diameter. It should finish up at 280 gr cast from wheel weights, and I'd go for a 75-80% meplat over a roundnose design. You can select the number of lube grooves and the bullet nose length, also the length of the front driving band.

There is a group buy on castbollits.com for the 358009. Supposed to be an exact copy by Night Owl Enterprises (NOE). They have the cherry but haven't started cutting this boolit yet. Supposed to be delivered in Feb 2010. I have one ordered in 2cav for $82 with shipping a top punch and some Bullplate mold lube. I think you can still get in on this if you contact Swede Nelson of NOE at castboolits in the vendors forum under deliver schedual NOE molds.

I tried contacting Swede through the email at his site, but the address didn't work. Any clues?

BrownBear
    Should be able to post a message to him. He seems to be good at answering questions about his molds and such on site.

Default 3580009 mold

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    BrownBear
    Should be able to post a message to him. He seems to be good at answering questions about his molds and such on site.
    Worked for me. I am in on it! Log in there and send him a message.

I'll do that. The email at his site is dead.