Thread: A Kenai fishing guide association?

Default A Kenai fishing guide association?

is this the APHA of fishing or whats the take on this one..

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/fishing/story/1099201.html

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I heard that the news report really jumped the gun on this...that it was really just one guy that wanted to put together a new organization, but that nobody else was really interested. Does anyone else have different information? My info is word-of-mouth, but pretty reliable IMHO.

quote from ADN article:

"Gibson said the association also will be working with law enforcement to curb illegal activity, such as people guiding their "friends" and camping without permits."

Just wondering how much of an issue this is? What's "camping without permits"? And where can I do it?

Thanks, Jay

Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    quote from ADN article:

"Gibson said the association also will be working with law enforcement to curb illegal activity, such as people guiding their "friends" and camping without permits."

Just wondering how much of an issue this is? What's "camping without permits"? And where can I do it?

Thanks, Jay
    I guess the guides who camp on windy corner and hog the area for days are going to be ticked then, HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I heard that the news report really jumped the gun on this...that it was really just one guy that wanted to put together a new organization, but that nobody else was really interested. Does anyone else have different information? My info is word-of-mouth, but pretty reliable IMHO.
    I pretty much heard the same thing, no real interest, not even close to 50 people.
    Personally, if they want to do that more power to them, all I ask is that they only guide in the upper river, not below Skilak. If they want to seperate way from the other guides then totally break free.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I pretty much heard the same thing, no real interest, not even close to 50 people.
    Personally, if they want to do that more power to them, all I ask is that they only guide in the upper river, not below Skilak. If they want to seperate way from the other guides then totally break free.
    Or make them become members of The Middle Kenai Guides, The Lower Kenai Guides, The Killey River Guides, The Kenai Lake Guides, The Skilak Lake Guides, The Moose River Guides, The Tidal Kenai Guides etc. And make them pay dues for each one!!!!

I'm a member of the River Mile 22.3 North Side (Behind the Rock) Guide Association. We have a real problem with the River Mile 22.4 South Side Guide Association guide who catches more fish than I do. We will work with law enforcement to move those darn fish to our side of the river!

I rarely fish the upper river but ONCE was crowded out by a guide and his clients. Our guide was a gentleman and moved to a spot that was just as good. Not familiar enough with the area to say if a guide association is needed or not however I would expect that the KRPGA could handle whatever real issues there were.

Dividing the guides into small segments of the river just cuts down the amount of influence and credibility their organizations have. Not a good idea.

oldmil007: What's "camping without permits"? And where can I do it?
    I recommend level ground!

But seriously, folks! Some pretty good questions here about this. We need to be asking more. What is with that river? Such a complex management situation of overuse and loathing! It is quite clear that we can't all get along. I'll agree there may not be room for all of us at all times in every stretch of the river. But I will not have some professional organization telling me when, where, with whom and how to fish! I'm happy to follow all Alaska State fishing regs. By-and-large based on good biology. But what exactly is "guiding friends?" How will it be defined? How would any of this help the Kenai ecosystem? Exactly whom/what will this help? Will this mean I gotta fish solo there? What will the penalty be? Who will enforce this? Who will pay the enforcers? Our taxes? Can I get a good job with benefits and retirement as an enforcer? To fish with friends will I be required to hire a guide for us? Just what we need! More regs and signs on the Kenai!

Jeez, give us some credit for the ability to choose quieter parts of the river, times of the day, week, or year or other waters entirely during the really combative times down there!

PS- can a permit system on the Kenai be far behind?

I think permits are already required. Isn't this for the Upper River only? Lower River already has an association.

The fellow in the artical (not wanting to mention any names here) came to the last Kenai guide association meeting and talked to the members present about what he was trying to do in starting a Upper River association. He said that was trying to get guides from Cooper Landing involved in forming their own guide association but that he was not getting much interest from them to procede with this. Talking to a couple of the original 12 permitted Upper Kenai River Guides and they have no interest in branching off into a smaller group. Personally, I believe that this new group will not be formed and got a lot of press without any substance. A bad idea all the way around in my opinion.