Thread: Muzzleloader and bear baiting

Default Muzzleloader and bear baiting

Who hunts black bears over bait with a muzzleloader? What's your weapon of choice? Bullet and powder charge? I'm thinking about pulling my Cabela's percussion .50 muzzleloader out of the safe and giving it a try this year.

I have not hunted black bear over bait, but I sure wouldn't hesitate in using my muzzleloader if I were to sit on a stand. You'll be taking close range shots so long-range accuracy and bullet drop of a muzzleloader isn't an issue. I'm assuming you have the Cabelas Hawkin style muzzleloader with a 1:48" twist barrel...? If so, try a heavy all-lead conical, like the Hornady Great Plains Bullet, over 70-90 grains (give or take depending on what your gun likes) of FFg or FFFg Goex. I have a Cabelas Hawkin and my gun likes just about any all-lead conical I've tried down the barrel, provided I have the right powder charge. I haven't tried sabots in my Hawkin, so I can't comment on them. I've ignited 777 "ok" with my flintlock, but Pyrodex granular powder had very poor ignition (still using FFFFg in the pan of course). For your percussion I would suggest staying away from Pyrodex and some of the other bp-substitutes that have a high ignition temp.

A heavy conical placed in the right spot at close range will take care of a black bear just fine!

Smile Encore

I have a 50cal Encore and I use 300gr, Hornady SST/ML bullets behind 130 grains of powder. Never let me down.

Thumbs up

Nothing stands to my .54 cal renegade. Literally a 30 year history of one shot kills, dropping them where they stand. 110 grains pyrodex under a maxiball at 515(?) grains of weight.

BTW, I believe 1/48 twist barrels are for round balls and the 1/28 is for sabots, maxiballs, conical,etc. if I am right.

My barrel is the 1/28 and is dead (litereally)on out to and even past 100 yards. It's my favorite rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    Nothing stands to my .54 cal renegade. Literally a 30 year history of one shot kills, dropping them where they stand. 110 grains pyrodex under a maxiball at 515(?) grains of weight.

BTW, I believe 1/48 twist barrels are for round balls and the 1/28 is for sabots, maxiballs, conical,etc. if I am right.

My barrel is the 1/28 and is dead (litereally)on out to and even past 100 yards. It's my favorite rifle.

Traditional round ball barrels are in the 1:60" to 1:66" or slower range. Like the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. But you can certainly shoot round balls in a 1:48" twist barrel with great accuracy, just need the right powder charge. I guess technically you want the right powder charge with any projectile in any barrel to maximize accuracy. The in-line barrels in the 1:24" to 1:28" range are designed with sabots in mind, but again you can certainly shoot round balls in 'em if ya want. The 1:48" was sort of a jack-of-all-trades.

My Omega is 1:28" (I think) and is more accurate at 100 yards than some centerfire rifles I've had!

Mine has a 21" barrel and a 1 in 24" twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Mine has a 21" barrel and a 1 in 24" twist.
    Plenty of options for ya! I might suggest trying the T/C ShockWaves or Hornady SST sabots. They're essentially the same bullet. Available in 250 and 300 grains for a .50 cal. The ShockWaves are probably the most accurate bullet I've tried in my Omega (haven't tried SSTs) yet. I also get good "on-paper" performance with the Hornady XTP bullets (available in 230 or 240 and 300 grain). They are essentially a hollow point handgun bullet. I've used them on deer just fine but might opt for something else on bear.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    Plenty of options for ya! I might suggest trying the T/C ShockWaves or Hornady SST sabots. They're essentially the same bullet. Available in 250 and 300 grains for a .50 cal. The ShockWaves are probably the most accurate bullet I've tried in my Omega (haven't tried SSTs) yet. I also get good "on-paper" performance with the Hornady XTP bullets (available in 230 or 240 and 300 grain). They are essentially a hollow point handgun bullet. I've used them on deer just fine but might opt for something else on bear.
    P.S. no reason you still couldn't try the lead conicals as well.

Default First hunt

Ill be using my new Lyman GPH for blackbear this spring. It will be its first hunt. Im chomping at the bit to get out and shoot it. Hillbilly

Thumbs up Bear and Smoke

Smoke pole for bear

Mk 85 scoped in 50 cal with 325gr Hornady Flex Tip .458 in MMP Crush Rib Sabots using 777 2F at 120 gr.

or My Browning JBR Mountain Rifle in 54 cal using a Rem Golden Ball patched and 90gr of 777 2F.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post
    Smoke pole for bear

Mk 85 scoped in 50 cal with 325gr Hornady Flex Tip .458 in MMP Crush Rib Sabots using 777 2F at 120 gr.

or My Browning JBR Mountain Rifle in 54 cal using a Rem Golden Ball patched and 90gr of 777 2F.
    You running a bear stand this year? And you take a bear with that 338 I traded ya?

Thumbs up matt

The Win 70 You traded with me, I reserve it as my long range gun..........If I go grizz hunting or Moose hunting in the fall. For Black Bear over Bait a Muzzleloader, Bow or a Browning BLR in 308 Win is what I use in the spring. For the past several years I have been trying to get my son his first bear with BLR 308 Win. The last black bear I shot was in 1993 that went 7' and in the Saf books 19". Yet to top that one so I have let alot of bears walk. Yes we will run the stand again this year.........same stand since 1992.