Thread: Swim Platform Kicker Mount

Default Swim Platform Kicker Mount

I'm looking for some ideas on building a kicker mount on my swim platform. I have a 20 Hewes Sportsman with the 200 Sportjet. The swim platform basically goes across the entire width of the stern. So, I was thinking of welding something on the left side of the platform. Any ideas?

Rob

I have seen a few bolt on kicker mounts for swimstep platforms for about $100 new (maybe try Cabelas, WestMarine, go2marine etc). Also I have seen inboard jetboat owners mount their kicker in the center whenever possible.

Sobie2

Default Simple

I welded up a small aluminum bracket that I bolted on top of my swim platform. With a long shaft 10hp Merc it has served me well for several years. If you have a strong swim platform (mine is teak) well mounted to the boat it works nice. Mine is on the starboard side. The only pain with it is you have to use one of those extension tiller handles. You also have to lean over the transom to pull the choke etc. but that will happen with any kicker.

Default Pics

Tealer,
    Do you happen to have any pictures of your design?

Default Sorry

I don't have any close-ups of it. It is 4 pieces. The base (that sits on the swim platform is 12x16x3/8" thick. The upright piece the motor bolts to is 12Wx 6H and welded along one end of the 12x16 piece. On each side is a triangle piece about 4H x 12L and welded to the bottom plate and to the motor mount plate. I put a piece of 1x6 hickory soaked in boiled neetsfoot on the motor mount plate and bolted the motor thru drilled holes. I hope that makes sense. I got the metal from Greer tank from their scrap bin (they sell it very reasonable) and put it together for way less than $100. It's stout, supported and looks decent. Hope that helps

After going the store bought route and bolting it on only to have it start cracking out I had one fabricated and welded on. I don't have to worry about it now.

Default Perfect

Thanks to you both. Now I have a great visual of how to build it. I'll swing by Greer Tank or Alaska Steel next week and see what I can pick up. Gotta love the winter projects.......

Default kicker mount

I built one similar to this. i like the thought of nothing hanging back there as i'm sliding around a tight corner or hauling the boat to chitna.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default F0zzy2

Does that one pivot with some sort of quick release pin or what? Seems like a really good idea.

Default Swivel

This is what I drew up for my boat. Drawing not so hot but it gives you the idea. My swim deck dosen't go all the way across so I had to make a seprate bracket for the kicker and then it rests on th swim deck. I'll post some pick when it's finished. hopefully some time next week. Theres a piece of UHMW between both brackets and Im using the rubber V like on the front of a trailer where the bow cranks into, for the kicker to rest on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default My version

I did not end up using the supports as I saved the original braces from the plastic platforms. Deck it with plywood till I find a sheet of diamond plate. I had a kicker mount that fit onto the platform already also, note detail in corner.
    Had it welded up for $300 and installed myself. I even made a ladder that attaches to the angle edging that keeps things from slipping off for easy entry on land.
    Worked like charm and less than $400 into it!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Great info

Well, I'm off to the metal yards tomorrow in search of some scrap pieces of aluminum so I can put something together. Thanks for all the idea. I'll post what I do when it's done.

Rob

Default bit late sorry

probably too late to chime in, but if you're in FB Karold's Welding does a great job and is really cheap imho. Have the same boat and he welded a kicker plate on one side of the swim deck, I use a 25hp kicker and it does fine... I've used it in PWS to troll for silvers with just the tiller.