Thread: ADL to BDL. Worthy?

Default ADL to BDL. Worthy?

I have a Remington Sportsman78 in .270 that just shoots lights out since I bought it in 1984. My reward for promotion to E-5. The only thing I would like that it doesn't offer is the magazine floorplate capability. I despise racking out the magazine everytime I unload.

Lately I've been fancying a Boyd JSR stock in black pepper laminate and I'm thinking, why not buy the ADL to BDL conversion kit that Brownell's offers when I restock and get a BDL stock?

Will I lose some stiffness and accuracy in doing this mod? I plan on installing pillar mounts in the new stock too.

This rifle currently shoots three of my handloads with different bullets .7 to 1.1", 5-shot groups, consistently. It is and always will be my drag anywhere, through anything, in any weather deer hunting rifle. Accuracy is more than I really need currently but I would hate to see it open up too much.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post
    I have a Remington Sportsman78 in .270 that just shoots lights out since I bought it in 1984. My reward for promotion to E-5. The only thing I would like that it doesn't offer is the magazine floorplate capability. I despise racking out the magazine everytime I unload.

Lately I've been fancying a Boyd JSR stock in black pepper laminate and I'm thinking, why not buy the ADL to BDL conversion kit that Brownell's offers when I restock and get a BDL stock?

Will I lose some stiffness and accuracy in doing this mod? I plan on installing pillar mounts in the new stock too.

This rifle currently shoots three of my handloads with different bullets .7 to 1.1", 5-shot groups, consistently. It is and always will be my drag anywhere, through anything, in any weather deer hunting rifle. Accuracy is more than I really need currently but I would hate to see it open up too much.

Thanks for your input.
    It's a very common swap (ADL to BDL) and it should not have any impact on your accuracy. However swapping stocks can and often does change things. If you find a significant decrease in accuracy I would recommend you check the bedding of the replacement stock. I'll add that the laminated Boyd stock is not a bad stock IMO, but they are heavy.

I share your opinion on the ADL and racking out the rounds. I do not like Boyd's stocks all that much. They are heavy and I think the comb is to low and not thick enough for my face. The laminated part is also difficult to inlet; the glass glue sure does dull tools unless you use some kind of router and don't try to keep your inletting tight. JMO. I do have a couple and use them but don't think I will be getting anymore. Best of luck. J.

I've gone the opposite route, bdl to adl. I like simple and light, and that's what you get with the adl. You don't have to run rounds all the way into the chamber to empty the mag. More importantly there isn't a floorplate to accidentally get opened dumping your ammo on the forest floor.

The weight issue with Boyd's has been a nagging issue in my mind. The plain birch OEM stock on this gun is very light so I knew I'd be losing 10-12 oz with this change.

I've used Boyd previously for Encore foreends and have been very impressed with the durability of their laminates. My bud has purchased two stocks from Boyd's, one laminate and one walnut, and neither have required any inletting work. I realize this is not always the case. Thanks for the heads up on the workability of their laminates.

I've also been playing with the idea of trying Stocky's Classic Deluxe in grey granite because they're checkered. I have experienced some issues with my Encores slipping in a gloved hand due to no checkering on the Boyd laminates.

Anyone have any experience with Stocky's?

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...-deLuxe/Detail

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've gone the opposite route, bdl to adl. I like simple and light, and that's what you get with the adl. You don't have to run rounds all the way into the chamber to empty the mag. More importantly there isn't a floorplate to accidentally get opened dumping your ammo on the forest floor.
    I'm with you, Paul. I had a couple of ADL's converted to BDL's, many years ago, but now I strongly prefer the ADL configuration. All of my recent rifle projects have been ADL's, for lots of reasons.

To answer the OP's question. If BDL is your preference, the conversion is simple and you're not going to lose accuracy.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Like anything else in this life it's all what you want. You can make arguments for either way to go, it all depends on what you want. I can make for or against arguments in either case. It really depends on what your primary use of the rifle is going to be for.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

hap

I'm with Paul and Dan... Never had to unload in a hurry and see no reason to worry about the slight possibility of someday needing to. The stock loses stiffness when going to BDL and I have seen a number of broken BDL floorplates. I have also had duct tape holding a broken floorplate closed before.

Don't chamber every cartridge you unload - turn rifle sideways, use the bolt to move the cartridge forward enough to pop free from the magazine, back off the bolt, and catch cartridge in your hand.

There are a TON of advantages in the field of a blind magazine ADL versus a floorplate BDL.

If you want a new stock, keep your eyes out for a used 1st generation remington TI stock - they're light and feel great. You might have to open up the barrel channel, but no biggie.

Looks like stocky's carries them new - model 2950 or 2951:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...archpath=58334

I have slowly learned to detest floor plates. They should be banned.
    Tennessee

Interesting comments gents. Thanks for your inputs.

Yeah - I don't rack the round completely when unloading. Never seen a broken floorplate before but I'm sure it happens.

I'm not a synthetic stock fan. I know laminates aren't all wood but I prefer the whole grain or the laminate look more so than synthetics.

I don't hunt from the road at all, I usually stay in a tree stand or stalk/stand all day so I really don't unload more than once or twice a day. Maybe I"m just desiring something that I don't have but really don't need.

hap

BDL is the answer to the question no one really needs to ask...

You've lost me...

hap

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post
    You've lost me...
    Just rephrasing the general negative flavor of comments toward the BDL. It is a little flip and I apologize for that.
    art