Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonk or Release ?

Default Bonk or Release ?

Was just daydreaming thinking about the upcoming King Salmon Season and thought What if I caught the next world record king? Would I bonk it & dethrone the late great long time Alaskan Resident Les Anderson 97 Pound 4 ounce World Record King Salmon caught on May 17,1985 or would I release it to the gravel so it could pass on those wonderful genes. What would you do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

bonk it if it's bright, let it spawn if its dark. Dark kings taste horrible!
    Nice Marmot.

If I catch the world record king salmon and it is a bright one you have my word that I will thump it on the melon, smoke it and serve it up at the official "LuJon Just Caught the World Record King Salmon AOD Celebration!!"

Default Records....

..... are meant to be broken!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

mmmmm STRIPPS!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Unequivocal whack.... I might even shoot it, just to make sure it doesn't flop back in the water, and become just a fish story. That would be the day I would seriously consider not fishing for fun anymore... well for Kings in that river/ spot in the ocean.

I don't think I know enough about kings to accurately determine whether one was a serious contender or not. That being the case, I think I would release it. It's tough to say, though, without actually being there in the situation. I generally fish for food, but there's something special about the giant kings. If I were fishing the Kenai and caught something that was obviously over 75 pounds, I'd probably snap a few pictures, take some measurements for the "release a hog" program, and let it go. Then again, maybe I wouldn't...

I would keep it. That being said, I would also not be opposed to a change in the regulations to limit the maximum size king that was allowed to be kept in the Kenai. It seems like this would help them grow bigger over time, and might make for a neat fishery to be able to keep the smaller ones, but those over some fixed size where C&R only. It seems like this would be simplier and drive a better result than the current slot limit thing they have going on.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thumbs up call me a sellout

I would bonk it and try to cash in on every product endorsement I could. It wouldn't be worth what a world record largemouth is worth, but I could get a few bucks.

I'd release it, I don't need records
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I have come to respect those hogs...

It would be a tough situation but it is like letting a monster halibut go. You get the warm fuzzies knowing that she will produce that many more offspring. I have caught big fish but passing on those gene's is a bigger issue. I think I would do the save a hog program and get it replicated for a couple of hundred bucks. Getting a pig like that mounted would cost some big bucks and since I'm not a guide anymore, I wouldn't recoup my money by keeping it and advertising for more business. because of that.
    I pay my $25.00 to KRSA every year with that hope, "Save a hog" program. I dipnet and love red over King any day so it would be not much of a real big decision for me. That said, I wouldn't blame someone else if they decided to keep it. To each, their own. IMHO.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Don't get me wrong... I love to bring the bonker down on a fish with supreme authority, but on a potential record king, I'd probably let it swim again. I'm not really into records, and I'd be hoping the fish gods would reward me for my merciful decision in the future... nothing like stacking the karma deck a little from time to time.

I would most definitely be posting pictures on this forum, at the sporting goods stores, emailing everyone I've ever met, taping pictures above company coffee pot, etc.

And I'd be taking full advantage of the "release a hog" program.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default hmmmm.

Here's a twist.

Take some really great pictures while I'm in the water with the fish ala fishnphysician. However, instead of not removing it from the water for the photo I would keep it out just a few inches. I would tag it, then release it back to the glacial depths of the Kenai (not in this order). Once you tag a fish it's yours to do whatever you want with it. I would choose to let it go.

since i know it would be such a tough decision and i don't want to face it i have decided to forego king fishing on the kenai entirely.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default +1 on the twist idea

I'm with tcman...
    I'd have to spend some quality one on one time with my big fish in the water, reviving him while taking pictures...

Much like this fish from last season. Lifted just a bit out of the water for a great picture, tagged...but released!

Good stuff!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bonk it and bbq it!

The only fish that should be release is a big bow. Salmon are going to die anyway might as well be by my bonk stick.
    Go move to oregon you tree huggers!

Quote Originally Posted by loulaub View Post
    The only fish that should be release is a big bow. Salmon are going to die anyway
    I never knew Trout where immortal.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I never knew Trout where immortal.......
    depends on who is fishing them.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't think I know enough about kings to accurately determine whether one was a serious contender or not. That being the case, I think I would release it. It's tough to say, though, without actually being there in the situation. I generally fish for food, but there's something special about the giant kings. If I were fishing the Kenai and caught something that was obviously over 75 pounds, I'd probably snap a few pictures, take some measurements for the "release a hog" program, and let it go. Then again, maybe I wouldn't...
    I know what you mean Brian, there is something pretty cool about a fish that big and there are some solid arguments for releasing them to spawn. Then again king salmon steaks taste mighty good grilled with my special black molasses soy ginger barbecue sauce!

As a lifelong fisherman of the Kenai system I've seen a number of very large kings come out of the water. I told myself when I first started fishing kings I was going to keep my first one over 60 pounds and that would be the only trophy King I ever keep out of the Kenai. I've caught my trophy, ate every piece of him and had the fiberglass replica hung proudly over my fireplace. I now release everything that appears over 40 pounds. For me, I just think everyone should have the opportunity to catch a trophy Kenai King and so I make sure I return the big ones to the water.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast