Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charleton Heston's Basement

Default Charleton Heston's Basement

found this elseware on the net, what a stash
    Last edited by ironartist; 01-21-2010 at 12:04.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Very nice, reminds me of the back room of the Ordnance Center and School Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds Maryland.

Default Impressive collection, but...

...Not Hestons'......

Snopes is your friend
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default gun vault, BETTER

Can't believe how guys around here always HAVE TO PROVE others wrong, guess thats just the nature of the beast. Well anyways I don't care who's gun vault it belongs to, it's an impressive picture
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Can't believe how guys around here always HAVE TO PROVE others wrong, guess thats just the nature of the beast. Well anyways I don't care who's gun vault it belongs to, it's an impressive picture

Wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong, just wanted to present the truth. That, after all, should be "The Nature of the Beast", no? Unless others come to an information board to get myths and hyperbole......

It is an impressive picture, impressive enough to stand on it's own merits without having to attach an aura of celebrity to it.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong, That, after all, should be "The Nature of the Beast", no?
    I wasn't phrasing it as a question I was phrasing as a fact. I made the origanal post to show someones weapons, as stated before I DON'T CARE WHO'S IT IS!!!
    Μολών λαβέ

Its not knowing the facts that has gotten us to where we are today in America. I do not have a lesser opinion of the poster or Mr.Heston because the facts are out so its a win win to me. Lucky someone pointed out the earth was kind of round and not flat

VERY cool collection! Gotta wonder who does own it. More photos' on Snopes and interesting info too. Not only not Heston's, but perhaps not a basement room either, judging by the pitched ceiling.

Default Yeah, not Heston's-

That's Nancy Pelosi's closet. Shhhh! Don't tell her SanFran buds.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    VERY cool collection! Gotta wonder who does own it.
    It was Bruce Stern's. The collection was auctioned after his death. Maybe about two years ago or so.

Folks in the NFA world saw these pics a while back, but for some reason the pics have been making the rounds lately on other gun boards.

Not saying the snopes guy is right or wrong, not attacking him... BUUUUUUUUUUUT, I just love how we don't take anyone's word for anything, but we accept SNOPES as gospel (for some reason). Just because SNOPES says yes or no, we go with it unconditionally. HILARIOUS to me.

I wasn't phrasing it as a question I was phrasing as a fact. I made the origanal post to show someones weapons, as stated before I DON'T CARE WHO'S IT IS!!!
    You sound pretty defensive. Someone just pointed out that your statement the photo you provided was of "Charles Heston's Basement" was incorrect. You may say you don't care, but (i) you cared enough to call it "Heston's" rather than "someone's" collection; and (ii) [you might find this amazing] many other people care about details like that.

I'm glad you posted the pic of that great collection, but I'm also glad that Hippie corrected the incorrect attribution. Other people could have felt or been percieved as sloppy or ignorant by subsequenntly forwarding that pitcure to someone else and being corrected with the wrong attribution. And they may feel inwardly silly for having done it, rather than turning their derision on the people who might have corrected them.

Amigo is right. It's almost alwyas better to know the truthful facts about some matter, rather than incorrect facts. And the person who originally conveyed the incorrect facts, need not feel defensive of chastise the person who respectfully corrects him. Hippie wasn't being condescending or contentious. I don't see your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Not saying the snopes guy is right or wrong, not attacking him... BUUUUUUUUUUUT, I just love how we don't take anyone's word for anything, but we accept SNOPES as gospel (for some reason). Just because SNOPES says yes or no, we go with it unconditionally. HILARIOUS to me.
    I've noticed that Snopes can be off a bit on complex issues, but on objective information, such as "Does the pictured basement blong to Mr. X or Mr. Y?," I have not found them to be wrong. Have you? People and resources gain a reputation for accuracy or lack thereof over time on certain matters. That's appropriate. It's common sense.

I don't pay much attention to Snopes, but there is nothing wrong with someone finding it to be a credible check on factual assertions.

I also do not see how it's inapproriate to question one of the many thousands of assertions made on the internet, especially when it's unsourced. That's why, when I post information from a specific source, I identify the source or post the link. It's not really that hard: copy/paste, click, done.

Unsourced info posted on the internet, sadly, often comes from chain e-mails, and much is false in my experience. Nothing wrong with thinking for yoursefl, rather than assuming everything on the internet is correct. Snopes is, at least, sourced.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I've noticed that Snopes can be off a bit on complex issues, but on objective information, such as "Does the pictured basement blong to Mr. X or Mr. Y?," I have not found them to be wrong. Have you? People and resources gain a reputation for accuracy or lack thereof over time on certain matters. That's appropriate. It's common sense.

I don't pay much attention to Snopes, but there is nothing wrong with someone finding it to be a credible check on factual assertions.

I also do not see how it's inapproriate to question one of the many thousands of assertions made on the internet, especially when it's unsourced. That's why, when I post information from a specific source, I identify the source or post the link. It's not really that hard: copy/paste, click, done.

Unsourced info posted on the internet, sadly, often comes from chain e-mails, and much is false in my experience. Nothing wrong with thinking for yoursefl, rather than assuming everything on the internet is correct. Snopes is, at least, sourced.
    You post 5 sources FOR global warming and I'll post 5 AGAINST global warming... doesn't make either side right. I think the warm-fuzzies people get from snopes is hilarious. Just because it's sourced doesn't make any difference... they're still quoting some source of unknown (albeit 'reputable') quality.

As for whether I have ever found snopes to be wrong when they state what someone's basement lookes like; No, I've never tracked down Charleston Heston's basement to view with my own eyes and compared it against a picture Honestly I've never cared what they say so I've never proven them one way or the other..... and how would they (whoever snopes is) know anyway? Oh well, different opinions (which is one of the great things about the internet).

Don't misunderstand me, there is lots of false information (not malicious for the most part) in forums, but I'm not here to correct them for the benefit of others; the internet is "Buyer Beware" and everyone needs to know that.

KRS

Well said KRS and very true. I appreciate Ironartist sharing the picture with us. I suspect and certainly hope that he has learned his lesson and shall never again demonstrate such a reckless act of misinformation.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That's Nancy Pelosi's closet. Shhhh! Don't tell her SanFran buds.
    That's hilarious Sayak! I was personally thinking Hilary Clinton.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Well said KRS and very true. I appreciate Ironartist sharing the picture with us. I suspect and certainly hope that he has learned his lesson and shall never again demonstrate such a reckless act of misinformation.

Doc
    So do I. And no one criticized him as far as I can see for doing so. Someone did gently correct his characterization of the owner's idenity, and then he defensively *****-slapped him for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    You post 5 sources FOR global warming and I'll post 5 AGAINST global warming... doesn't make either side right. I think the warm-fuzzies people get from snopes is hilarious. Just because it's sourced doesn't make any difference... they're still quoting some source of unknown (albeit 'reputable') quality.

As for whether I have ever found snopes to be wrong when they state what someone's basement lookes like; No, I've never tracked down Charleston Heston's basement to view with my own eyes and compared it against a picture Honestly I've never cared what they say so I've never proven them one way or the other..... and how would they (whoever snopes is) know anyway? Oh well, different opinions (which is one of the great things about the internet).

Don't misunderstand me, there is lots of false information (not malicious for the most part) in forums, but I'm not here to correct them for the benefit of others; the internet is "Buyer Beware" and everyone needs to know that.

KRS
    Like I said, on complex issues, or at least those subject to difficulties of proof, you can have two sides. But that basement is either (i) Heston's; or (ii) it isn't.

If I posted something from a chain e-mail (I don't), I would mention that. If I posted a pic of Heston's basement from the "American Rifleman," I would mention that. If I did neither, and someone corrected my characterization, I would not be offended. But that's just me.

Looks like snopes was correct. See the samples from the Stern collection midway down: http://juliaauctions.net/auctions/23...highlights.asp

Default marinehawk

Apperently you didn't read this quote, well here it is AGAIN,
    and I certainly wasn't asking you for an opinion,
    I thought this thread was shelved yesterday
    Μολών λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast