Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Hunting loads 375’s – Scope ideas

Default Factory Hunting loads 375’s – Scope ideas

I just got my Ruger 375 and Winchester 375 h&h back from the stock doctor with new stocks. I would like to get some ammo run through both of these in a factory load. My load purpose will be to use one of them in a hunt for Alaska moose and bear. Does anyone have a proven factory load that you could suggest? Also I am thinking of scoping these both with Leupold 2X7’s what are your thought for this scope configuration?

Montana

I have used the 2x7's, 3x9's, and 1.5x5's from Leupold and have been very happy with all of them. I prefer the 3x9's for Alaska as I think they are a great compromise for all occasions and work very well with the ballistics of the .375's.

When on 3 power I can make shots at very close range and on 9 power I am good to go at the longer distances. I always have my scope set on the lowest setting just in case though.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Federal Safari in a 375 H&H have always worked for me.

Did you like the work the Stock Doctor did? Dennis has a reputation for doing excellent work, and I have been pleased with what he has done for me.

Cheers,

AKMATT

Default scope

The 2-7 and 2.5-8 are my favorites but I'd try the 1.75-6 on a 375.
    Drink indigenous.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Federal Safari in a 375 H&H have always worked for me.

Did you like the work the Stock Doctor did? Dennis has a reputation for doing excellent work, and I have been pleased with what he has done for me.

Cheers,

AKMATT
    Broncoformudu – Matt M

I had an outfit out of Columbia Fall, MT. build a couple of stocks. They did a great job. I am 6’-2” - 225 lbs. heavy shoulders and while you would think a longer LOP would be ok the factory stock felt to long. I had the stocks built for around 13-1/4” On those federal loads what bullet type wt.?

Thanks,
    Montana

I bought a Leupold 2-7X to put on a .375 Ruger. But the rifle turned out to be a POS and got sent back to Ruger for a refund, so that scope ended up on my .280. In the future, I'm planning to get a better .375 and most likely put a 1.75-6X Leupold on it. I can't see ever needing more than 6X on a .375.

Also, although I have never shot anything with a .375, the concensus on past threads on the subject of ammo/bullet choices seem to suggest that most any factory load other than Winchester Silvertip in either 270 or 300 grain will do fine. So I'd go with whatever shoots best.

I recently purchased a Remington XCR in 375 H & H. I decided to go with the Leupold 1.5 X 5 scope mainly because I got it for a very good price online. Actually the 1.75 X 6 was my first choice. Either should work very well with that caliber.

While sighting in the rifle once the scope was installed, I discovered that this particular gun absolutely loves the Federal Premium Safari load that has a 300 grain Nosler Partition bullet. You might be able to do better with a custom hand load for this rifle but it could not be much better.

In fact this combination of rifle and ammo worked so well that I went back to the dealer and bought the rest of his Federal ammo with the 300 grain Nosler for that caliber. All of it was in the same batch so I should be fixed for a while.

Most people that frequent this forum would agree that the 375 H & H with a 300 grain bullet would be very satisfactory for moose or bear in Alaska. At least as long as you can shoot your rifle well enough to place your bullet properly.

Group,

I will check out the 1.75 X 6. This must be in their V3 series? I do not think I am necessarily recoil sensitive and have had several 375 in the past along with a 458 all of which I could shoot quiet well - though after a range session with the 458 and some 500gr. I knew I had shot something. I have used the 375 H&H for elk here in MT. but used the 235 gr. barnes hand loads and felt the need to step up for Alaska?

Are there some issues with the ruger Alaskan rifle that I should be aware of?

Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Montana338 View Post
    Group,

I will check out the 1.75 X 6. This must be in their V3 series? I do not think I am necessarily recoil sensitive and have had several 375 in the past along with a 458 all of which I could shoot quiet well - though after a range session with the 458 and some 500gr. I knew I had shot something. I have used the 375 H&H for elk here in MT. but used the 235 gr. barnes hand loads and felt the need to step up for Alaska?

Are there some issues with the ruger Alaskan rifle that I should be aware of?

Montana
    With the Ruger 375 you will be stuck with Hornady factory ammo. They shoot fast but accuracy was less than desirable in my Alaskan.

I hand load and have a couple really nice 260gr, 270gr and 300gr loads that shoot .5 - .7 three shot groups all day long. I prefer to sacrifice a little speed for accuracy. However, I just finished up a 300gr load with RL-17 that runs fast.

My scope is the VX-7 1.5-6x24 and my cousin runs the VX-3 1.5-5x20 on his Alaskan. If I had it to do over I would go with the VX-3 2.5-8x36.

I've never had any issues or bad luck with my Alaskan. There has been one poster on here that bashes his Ruger with a vengeance.

I have no experience with the Winchester in 375 H&H but I have shot Federal Premium Cape Shock with good results in a Remington 375H&H.
    Last edited by marshall; 01-20-2010 at 12:29. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    With the Ruger 375 you will be stuck with Hornady factory ammo. They shoot fast but accuracy was less than desirable in my Alaskan.

I hand load and have a couple really nice 260gr, 270gr and 300gr loads that shoot .5 - .7 three shot groups all day long. I prefer to sacrifice a little speed for accuracy. However, I just finished up a 300gr load with RL-17 that runs fast.

My scope is the VX-7 1.5-6x24 and my cousin runs the VX-3 1.5-5x20 on his Alaskan. If I had it to do over I would go with the VX-3 2.5-8x36.

I've never had any issues or bad luck with my Alaskan. There has been one poster on here that bashes his Ruger with a vengeance.

I have no experience with the Winchester in 375 H&H but I have shot Federal Premium Cape Shock with good results in a Remington 375H&H.
    Marshall,

I called a place here locally they have some 300 gr. Federal in stock. I think I would like to look at both the 2.5 X 8X 36 and the 1.75 X 6X? – What size objective is on the 1,75X6?

Dang! I never though about the limited (Hornady only) factory ammo when I bought the Ruger. I may have to reserve myself to reloading. The reason I was leaning towards the use of factory loads on a traveling hunt was that in the event I had issues from the ammo perspective I felt like I could pick some locally.

Thanks,
    Montana

I will not say that the Ruger Alaskan is a bad rifle overall. I will say the one I had was. It would not feed properly, among other issues. There has also been at least one other forum member that had trouble with one as I recall. Most who have them have good things to say about them. I will never buy another Ruger, not because this one particular rifle was a lemon, but because Ruger's customer service in trying to fix the rifle was terrible. But if you already have one and it works OK, then by all means use it.

Default Ruger Alaskan 416

Mine was a true dangerous game rifle, you were truly in "DANGER" hunting game with it. It wouldn't cycle rounds through it without jamming. As with all "Ruger Stainless Steel Firearms" they are fine after 4 or 5 hours with the dremel, polishers etc. Love it now but it makes you wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    Mine was a true dangerous game rifle, you were truly in "DANGER" hunting game with it. It wouldn't cycle rounds through it without jamming. As with all "Ruger Stainless Steel Firearms" they are fine after 4 or 5 hours with the dremel, polishers etc. Love it now but it makes you wonder?

Tombo,

I am starting to get a little concerned. I have yet to scope my 375 Alaskan and run some ammo through it. Is this something to do with all new model Rugers or just the 375 Alaskan?

Montana

Default +1 on the 1.75-6

Quote Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
    The 2-7 and 2.5-8 are my favorites but I'd try the 1.75-6 on a 375.
    I think the 6X with this one would be good on the long end and 1.75 is low enough for when rapid acquisition is necessary.

Montana338,

On Monday I loaded up and tested some handloads for my hunting partners .375 Ruger. It turned out to be one of the easiest rifles I've worked with to get to shoot. I may have just gotten lucky, but of the first 4 loads tested 2 were well under an inch and another was right at an inch. Best was 73 gr RL 15, Barnes TSX 270 gr, new Hornady brass, Rem 9 1/2 magnum primers.

That rifle has a 3.5-10 Leupold. I have a .375 Ultra with a 3.5-10 leupold, and a .416 Rigby with a 2.5-8. The 2.5-8 is much more compact and has been plenty of power for me. I put the larger scope on the .375 because it was used for some long shooting in africa.

I'm surprised to hear about poor customer service from Ruger. I had a .22 Hornet a couple years ago that wouldnt shoot no mater what I tried, I sent it back to Ruger with a letter of explanation and they sent me a new gun no questions asked. Good luck.
    mike

The Leupold 2x7 is a very good scope. I've used them and recommend them for most big game hunting. Personally, I do not want a 375 H&H for most big game hunting. I expect it for use on big animals and often times I want it for animals that could bite back. For that scenario and for the terrain I usually hunt, I want a wider FOV than the 2x7 offers set on 2X (actually it's 2.5X actual magnification).

Everyone has their preference, but for a DGR (and most 375s have dangerous game at least in mind) I like a 1.5 power bottom end for increased FOV. If you compare the FOV of the VX3 1.5x5 and VX3 1.75x6 you'll find the 1.5x5 has 30%+ increased FOV at the lowest magnification; if you compare the 1.5x5 to the 2x7 you'll find 60% more FOV. I say it is more important because I've not once needed more than 4.5X (highest actual magnification of the 1.5x5) in the field for big game and I've shot some fairly small animals at longer than normal ranges. I have desired more FOV than some scopes provide for hunting in tight quarters with moving animals. Some people prefer going to some type of iron or auxiliary sight when in close quarters, but I much prefer the additional benefit of crosshair/magnification and the precision it allows in brush and on moving targets. Also the vast majority of my trigger time comes with optical sights. When the chips are down I want the most familiar combination possible. For me that means I leave the scope on the rifle unless it fails. The 1.5x5 allows a FOV large enough to be right at home even at bayonet range and adequate magnification for any reasonable shot on a big game animal IMO.

I realize more magnification can allow more precision as range increases, but this is of very limited benefit in the field IME. 4.5X will easily allow for shots on deer sized game at 400 yards and I doubt you'll have much call for that in a 375 H&H. However the extra FOV at distances less than 25 yards can be a real advantage on a moving target--especially if the target happens to be moving in your direction.

I didn't even mention how much better the straight objective looks when mounted on a rifle .

Quote Originally Posted by Montana338 View Post
    Marshall,

I called a place here locally they have some 300 gr. Federal in stock. I think I would like to look at both the 2.5 X 8X 36 and the 1.75 X 6X? – What size objective is on the 1,75X6?

Dang! I never though about the limited (Hornady only) factory ammo when I bought the Ruger. I may have to reserve myself to reloading. The reason I was leaning towards the use of factory loads on a traveling hunt was that in the event I had issues from the ammo perspective I felt like I could pick some locally.

Thanks,
    Montana
    The 1.75-6X32 has a 32mm objective and a 1" tube so the factory rings that came with your Ruger will work just fine. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...3-1-75-6x32mm/

You may already know but if not here's one bit of trivia for you. Your eye can only process 5 units of light as a maximum period. So if you have a 32mm objective and you use 6 power your getting 5.33 units of light, that means great low light visibility. If you have a 24mm objective and 6 power you're only getting 4 units of light, still good but not as good in low light conditions as the previous example.

Then there's the 25 power scopes with a 50mm objective. If you use 25 power your only transmitting 2 units of light to your eye and that's poor visibility in low light conditions. Don't confuse that with me saying it's a bad scope, It would be fine with good light conditions.

When hunting in low light such as early or late divide your objective by 5 and use that number as your max magnification so you can get maximum light transfer to your eye. If you can't see at that magnification level then a higher magnification wont make it any easier, just pure science. The Leupold 1.5-5x20mm and 1.75-6X32mm use this concept.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    The Leupold 2x7 is a very good scope. I've used them and recommend them for most big game hunting. Personally, I do not want a 375 H&H for most big game hunting. I expect it for use on big animals and often times I want it for animals that could bite back. For that scenario and for the terrain I usually hunt, I want a wider FOV than the 2x7 offers set on 2X (actually it's 2.5X actual magnification).

Everyone has their preference, but for a DGR (and most 375s have dangerous game at least in mind) I like a 1.5 power bottom end for increased FOV. If you compare the FOV of the VX3 1.5x5 and VX3 1.75x6 you'll find the 1.5x5 has 30%+ increased FOV at the lowest magnification; if you compare the 1.5x5 to the 2x7 you'll find 60% more FOV. I say it is more important because I've not once needed more than 4.5X (highest actual magnification of the 1.5x5) in the field for big game and I've shot some fairly small animals at longer than normal ranges. I have desired more FOV than some scopes provide for hunting in tight quarters with moving animals. Some people prefer going to some type of iron or auxiliary sight when in close quarters, but I much prefer the additional benefit of crosshair/magnification and the precision it allows in brush and on moving targets. Also the vast majority of my trigger time comes with optical sights. When the chips are down I want the most familiar combination possible. For me that means I leave the scope on the rifle unless it fails. The 1.5x5 allows a FOV large enough to be right at home even at bayonet range and adequate magnification for any reasonable shot on a big game animal IMO.

I realize more magnification can allow more precision as range increases, but this is of very limited benefit in the field IME. 4.5X will easily allow for shots on deer sized game at 400 yards and I doubt you'll have much call for that in a 375 H&H. However the extra FOV at distances less than 25 yards can be a real advantage on a moving target--especially if the target happens to be moving in your direction.

I didn't even mention how much better the straight objective looks when mounted on a rifle .

1Cor15:19.
    You make some good points here. The FOV will be an important consideration for both these rifles. The reason for their use would be in situation as you have mentioned.
    For my Montana hunting in more open country where the chances of remaining the hunter are fairly high my 338 – 338-06 – or one of 300’s work fine with a variable scope of higher magnification. I have a peep sight on my 45/70 saddle/camp rifle for a situation that may be close and personal.

I am leaning towards the 1.75 x 6 for both these 375’s (Assuming the Ruger will prove to be dependable) (You make a good point about the looks of one of these scopes on a large caliber rifle – they look classic)

Thanks for everyone’s input,
    Montana

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    The 1.75-6X32 has a 32mm objective and a 1" tube so the factory rings that came with your Ruger will work just fine. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...3-1-75-6x32mm/

You may already know but if not here's one bit of trivia for you. Your eye can only process 5 units of light as a maximum period. So if you have a 32mm objective and you use 6 power your getting 5.33 units of light, that means great low light visibility. If you have a 24mm objective and 6 power you're only getting 4 units of light, still good but not as good in low light conditions as the previous example.

Then there's the 25 power scopes with a 50mm objective. If you use 25 power your only transmitting 2 units of light to your eye and that's poor visibility in low light conditions. Don't confuse that with me saying it's a bad scope, It would be fine with good light conditions.

When hunting in low light such as early or late divide your objective by 5 and use that number as your max magnification so you can get maximum light transfer to your eye. If you can't see at that magnification level then a higher magnification wont make it any easier, just pure science. The Leupold 1.5-5x20mm and 1.75-6X32mm use this concept.

Cheers,

Marshall,
    Great information – I recall reading something of the same regards as you mentioned above – (exit pupil data related) .

When it comes to the science and math I usually take note. Reminding myself to leave the emotions at home.

(NOTE to Self: self leave the emotions out of this) I copied your information for future reference.

Thanks,
    Montana

I heard that Leupold is releasing a 1.1-8X24 scope after the Las Vegas Shot Show this week. It would be a great DG scope but rumor is it will be very expensive. Somewhere in the $2000 range

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast