Thread: Hunting Advice??

Default Hunting Advice??

hello,
    New to this Forum. Just looking for any advice on where one might do some good small game hunting (rabbit/Ptarmigan). I live in Anchorage. Im retired Army after four years of service due to a substantial amount of explosives. Got some new snow shoes for Christmas and am just trying to figure out what my capabilities are physically. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.
    JustinT

Default Drive north

Their are many hares to be found in the valley, but in my opionon they are hunted heavily and are pretty darn skittish, and flee way ahead and often times are never seen or just a glimpse wiht out a shot..... Drive up the Parks or the Glenn and hour.. the further you get AWAY from the crowds, the more bunnies you will find, and the easier they are to kill.. I have been heading north roughly 90 miles or so of the valley the past 3 weekends.. Just look on the sides of the roads.. It will be pretty obvious where the bunny sign starts.. Keep driving aways, then when you see an area just covered with tracks AWAY from the heavily hunted pull outs... .Stop and walk or park at the pull out and walk a 1/2 mile in either direction down the road before hitting the brush....
    Not sure what your disability is, But the snow is deep, and I mean real deep.. Like over your waist deep.. So snowshoes are a must, If your patient, and look, you will see allot of the tracks heading into trails, then they all merge and go into a HOLE in a snow covered brush clump, willow patch, or fallen spruce.. they are hiding under them in the daytime..and out eating at night.. dusk and dawn.. some will be out and about (CLOSE) to their holes..But MOST will be under the snow drifts invisable and hiding.. You can see their holes or brush piles I call them.. when you approach.. give them a good stomp.. if one is in their.. they will come out FAST.. not in the hole you see, but on several other escape holes on the other side.. I could spend all day walking in the valley and get 4-5 bunnies, I drive north and kill 40-50 at a time.. Makes the drive worth it.. Plus it keeps the kids motivated to walk more and more when they are seeing and shooting bunnies in great numbers...

Thanks for your service, Go kill some bunnies..

Quote Originally Posted by JustinT View Post
    hello,
    New to this Forum. Just looking for any advice on where one might do some good small game hunting (rabbit/Ptarmigan). I live in Anchorage. Im retired Army after four years of service due to a substantial amount of explosives. Got some new snow shoes for Christmas and am just trying to figure out what my capabilities are physically. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.
    JustinT

Hey Justin, I have the same issue about physical capabilities, If you have any difficulties, let me know... You can also contact me on FaceBook as that is where I keep alot of resource contacts.... Kyle Moxley

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thanks for your service and your sacrifice JustinT!

Jim

Default hatcher pass

Try up there for ptarmagin , all I can tell you is close to the Motherload Lodge , without giving exact position . In a parking lot across from it . Good luck we hear and see ptarmagin all the time up there .