Thread: Brand new tipton cleaning rod... now brass in barrel

Default Brand new tipton cleaning rod... now brass in barrel

Hey guys, just bought a brand new tipton cleaning rod, cleaned a rifle and was getting ready to put it away and I noticed what appears to be streaks of brass-ish coloring in the bottom of the rifling grooves at the muzzle. I don't know if that was there before or not... but I'm worried about it

Help, any thoughts or input?

Thanks,

KRS

It's copper.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I agree, it's copper. What part of AZ are you writing from?

It's just at the tip of the muzzle, only 3/8" long or so. Never noticed it before.

I'm in Sierra Vista.

Thanks for the help guys... I'm literally losing my mind worrying about this.

KRS

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    It's just at the tip of the muzzle, only 3/8" long or so. Never noticed it before.

I'm in Sierra Vista.

Thanks for the help guys... I'm literally losing my mind worrying about this.

KRS
    No worries, just a little more cleaning and it will be gone. Stay away from stainless steel brushes. Use any copper solvent that you have and let it soak for 10-15 minutes followed by a few dry patches. You may have to do it a few times.

I have good luck with Barnes CR-10, Wipeout and Sweet's 7.62. Anyone of those will get the copper out with ease. There are several other products that will do a good job too.

I'm a few hours north of you.

Good luck,

where can I get wipe out in anchorage? I looked a SW but didn't see any, might be my eyes getting old

Hey, you're not far away. Used to live there... glad I don't now

I'm using Butch's Bore Shine, seems to work okay however I've never tried any others you mentioned. Lots of guys mention sweets 7.62, however the Butch's came in a giant bottle so I bought that.

Good point about the brushes. I'm using the plain ones I buy at the store, the brush material is bronze however the core appears to be steel. Do they make non-steel-core brushes?

KRS

I've had excellent results using M-Pro 7 and good results using Shooter's Choice MC#7 when removing copper fouling.

For general cleaning after a range session or hunting season, I use the Shooter's choice. It removes carbon as capably as Hoppes #9 and the small amount of copper, #9 doesn't remove copper, that 1-100 fired rounds leave behind.

The M-Pro 7 takes care of heavy copper deposits in ignored or heavily fired barrels. It's also odorless. I have not been impressed with the Wipeout Foam cleaner that others swear by. YMMV

M-Pro 7 also makes a bore solvent for carbon/lead clean-up that is odorless. I'll probably try this out when I run out of Shooter's Choice so I don't need to retreat to my garage everytime I need to clean a gun.

"Yes dear. I know. The solvent smells up the whole house and is bad for me. Yes dear. I was going to the garage. Uh-huh. Yup. I love you too."

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Hey, you're not far away. Used to live there... glad I don't now

Good point about the brushes. I'm using the plain ones I buy at the store, the brush material is bronze however the core appears to be steel. Do they make non-steel-core brushes?

KRS
    Try this place when you need supplies, they're across from Dear Valley airport. They sell to the public but they limit your visit to 10 minutes. They primarily deal with mail order. They sell brushes by the dozen. The brushes are bronze with a bronze core, no steel.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchan...Store_Code=BSS

If you do a road trip up north this place is a great find. It's like Costco for shooters, everything is on the floor or still in boxes but they have tons of stuff.

Thanks guys, I'll get the cleaning equipment out again on Friday (when the wife is out of the house) and clean some more.

I was thinking it through, and it makes sense. My solvent makes the copper into a solution, and I'm pushing it out the muzzle, so if I don't finish the job the solution of copper will be streaking near the muzzle.

Appreciate the help,

KRS