Thread: Big Agnes sleeping pad

Default Big Agnes sleeping pad

Does anyone have experience with Big Agnes Insulated Air Core's? I bought one on sale at the Sportsmen's Warehouse for $50 yesterday. Seems like a solid pad, but it is not self inflating. Its a lot smaller and lighter than my old pad. I'm hoping it works out well.

Tim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

isnt that the model that when sweat soaked gives off the aroma of salmon in a stream? pretty sure that was the same one Treadwell was on that night

JK tim
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

REI.com has quite a few user reports on the BA Insulated Air Core Pad. It's rated fairly high, but there were complaints of it being slippery and noisy. Some also complained about being easy to puncture and difficult to inflate/deflate. But generally people liked them a lot. If it gets really cold the BA Dual Core Pad is warmer.

REI's other option for insulated air pads is the Exped series. It's rated even higher, but is newer with fewer overall ratings. I bought the Exped Synmat because of the built in pump. Haven't had the opportunity to use it other than on the living room floor, but it is comfortable. It also has larger valves for easier deflation, and a less slippery surface. This year should tell me if I made a good purchase.

it's slick as greased owl poop!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I don't have any thing really bad to say about them. A silicon coating ould be nice like the new thermarest has. Some shoe goo can be applied lightly to give it some traction. I have found that I get about 2 years out of one of their pads before it starts slllloooooowwwwlly leaking. I can get a night out of mine still but it is a little squishy come morning especially when it is cold out. The good news is they stand behind their product and for the price of shipping you get a new pad. I know that I have found nothing that compares comfort or weight wise for even anywhere near the cost of those pads.One of my buddies has 2 of them and he just rotates through them sending one back every two years so he allways has a good one. He probably spends 100+ days a year sleeping on them though so the average user will likely get much more life. I think of mine like a CutCo knife, sure I have to send it back to the factory every couple years but the rest of the time it just works.

I have had two of them for two years now and have been nothing but satisfied with them. Used both of them in below freezing temps in Alaska to the highs of Afghanistan. Yes before going to sleep for the night I normally blow a few breaths in there just to top them off but thats it.

Will never go back to the Thermarest!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

If you use the pad with a big agony bag, it's not such a problem as it slides into the bag.

Big agony is a joke. I like the bag. The pad isn't ideal IMHO.

I like mine. Nice and comfy. It is slippery but so is a nylon sleeping bag, I put the pad and my bag in a 6oz ulralite bivy bag and it holds it all together. But man, 2.5 inches of air tubes make the rocks disappear! I may go with a BA down bag. Been trying to talk myself into it for a couple years

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I may go with a BA down bag.
    I picked up a synth 15 degree bag. It took a bit to grow accustomed to the lack of insulation on the bottom. It's not a big deal anywhere but my feet. I always wrapped my feet up as I try to sleep without socks. That won't work in a BA.

They get blown out every fall by REI.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I picked up a synth 15 degree bag. It took a bit to grow accustomed to the lack of insulation on the bottom. It's not a big deal anywhere but my feet. I always wrapped my feet up as I try to sleep without socks. That won't work in a BA.

They get blown out every fall by REI.
    Try tossing a hot water bottle down at your feet if they get cold in the BA bag! After doing that on my goat hunt this fall I slept very comfortably w/ no cold toes! At my size I have a habit of pushing against the foot of most any bag which tends to compromise the loft to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Try tossing a hot water bottle down at your feet if they get cold in the BA bag!
    There's an idea. I ended up wearing these:

They pack like nothing and feel GOOD! Hippie was drooling over them for a week on the Togiak.

They weigh nothing and are OH SO NICE on the piggies. I picked up a similar pair from Campmor on blowout and will never camp up here without them again.

They are down so they don't do so well when wet. I keep mine in my bag and compress them in the compression sack.

The clients laughed for the first two days, then were hitting me up about where to find them! I can't wait to see three Texas NRA life members with their fluffy down booties by the fire

JuJon's post is right on. They are a bit slick, but I dabbed some shoe goo on top and bottom to increase friction with my bag and tent, and it's been a nice improvement. As far as comfort, they're tough to beat. Compared with my other options, I'll never go with anything else.

I first asked a hunting buddy about one last year, and this was how he broke it down...

Pros:
    Light.
    Compact (smaller than a Nalgene bottle).
    Comfy as heck 3” thick.
    Insulates pretty well.
    I’ll never buy anything else.

Cons:
    Could get punctured and you’re hosed unless you have a patch… its not closed cell foam and must be inflated to offer insulation and comfort.
    Takes a while to inflate and deflate.
    You’ll be so rested that you’ll leave your hunting companions in the dust because their pads suck and they didn’t sleep well.

Tough to argue with that.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thumbs up down booties

Phish... those Sierra Designs down booties are the cat's meow!

I bought a pair for my gf a few months ago and she loves them. I'd been jealous ever since. So when I found some on sale at REI a few weeks ago I couldn't pass them up. Totally worth it.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I am going on the 5th year on mine. I have nothing but good to say for it. I use it in conjunction with my Big Agnes bag so I don't worry about how slippery it is. I don't know if I'd like it as much when combined with any other bag.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Great Choice

I have used that sleeping pad for two years, both in CO and AK. It is definitely a bit more labor intensive to blow up but it is worth the weight/space savings when you are stuffing it in a backpack. It is not very big (sized for a mummy bag) so if you roll around a lot you might slide off. If you can keep from moving too much it is great.

Those down booties are also a must have for cold weather camping, I have used them sleeping at -20 in the mountains in my Hennessey hammock. Nice and toasty.