Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filming a documentary in Alaska...need people living off the grid

Default Filming a documentary in Alaska...need people living off the grid

Hello Everyone!

I am a Casting Producer in Los Angeles and we are currently looking for people "living off the grid" in Alaska for a new documentary.

Below is a little bit more about our show.

We are currently part of a documentary series entitled Bob Saget’s Strange Days. The project is being produced by State Penn Productions for the A&E television network, and will air in the fall of 2010.

The show will feature our host, Bob Saget, formerly of America’s Funniest Home Videos, and the sitcom Full House. The series will follow Bob as he explores the unique cultures, lifestyles, practices, and people of America. The show will aim to be both fun and informative, while remaining objective and without mockery. It will immerse the audience into new worlds, to understand them from an intelligent level of common human interest.

Our documentary production crew is minimal in size so as to maintain the smallest “footprint” possible at shooting locations, therefore having the least amount of impact on these locations’ standard operating environments.

We shoot content for the program, using two hand held digital video cameras, and in most cases, only utilizing available, natural light. Our entire crew consists of approximately ten individuals, several of whom never have to leave the parked vehicles. All crew and equipment is transported in three passenger vans.

Our personnel are all seasoned professionals, who are extensively versed and experienced in the proper, professional manner in which to shoot in all kinds of environments around the world, working businesses included, so that normal operations are affected in the most minimal way.

We understand that some individuals present will not wish to participate in the program, and their request will be respected - working around these people is not an issue. Furthermore, know that no one who does not sign one of our release forms will be put on camera or included in the program.

All filming dates and details will be arranged in accordance with your prior approval, well in advance. If you prefer, signage for your establishment will be shot for inclusion in the show, in the interest of publicity.

Any help anyone out there can be, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Carly

Nice idea, unfortunately if your looking for "off the grid", you will have some logistical nightmares, and I don't envy you... there will certianly be individuals on the outskirts of towns / cities that would be living off the grid... but if you want to find communities living off the grid,,, your really gonna have to reach.. logistically

respectfully posted of course..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

We have a grid?! Why didn't anyone tell me about this?
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

we tried...... But YOUR NOT IN IT

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Your really not going to find that many people living off the grid near the road system. Also "the grid" means something different up here, because there are a lot of communities that generate there own electricity especially the coastal areas. If you are looking for cabins that are off the grid, you are going to have to take planes or boats in the summer and snowmachines in the winter.
    That's what she said...

Thumbs down

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Default play nice

We have a request for some help and nothing but BS comments. That isn't what this forum is all about and if you can help don't say anything. Try a little professionalism or some true alaskan spirit.

Carly, the show sounds interesting, but the other people who replied are right...up here, "off the grid" means very remote, places to which you can't drive a van full of equipment and people.

There are certainly people on these discussion boards who live off the grid...to varying degrees. Look up "Bushrat" on here. He's pretty off the grid, but still plugged-in.

Another option might be to find someone who's a winter caretaker of a lodge somewhere. But, while that may be comfy and accomodating for the production crew...that's still likely to be something that most "off the grid" Alaskans would consider quite "comfy". Then again, most folks outside of Alaska (and even some in Alaska) won't know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    We have a request for some help and nothing but BS comments. That isn't what this forum is all about and if you can help don't say anything. Try a little professionalism or some true alaskan spirit.
    I thought my post was fairly coherent. "offthegridliving" sounds like he/she wants to drive a van right up to an off the grid cabin and that is just not as easy as outsiders think.

In the next few years I will have an off the grid cabin that is near the road but I won't be living there. It is going to be a recreational cabin. I don't think that would be very genuine though.

Just an idea for the show. If you can find someone building a cabin, maybe shoot some of that.
    That's what she said...

I agree that "off the grid" can mean vastly different things up here; many remote hunting lodges are off the grid, yet have every luxury available. What it sounds like you're looking for are folks who live the homesteader/ subsistence lifestyle, of which there's a few on this forum. I hope you do accomplish this, because I'm sick of this negative portrayal of people who live in the sticks as ignorant hillbillies. It takes a lot of know-how to live like this, and I hope that comes across on your show. Best of luck.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

while remaining objective and without mockery.
    Yeah right...

Try a little professionalism or some true alaskan spirit.
    Rejecting outsiders is the true Alaskan spirit But seriously, after what the movie/documentry industry has done around my area, I really hope to never see them again.

What is off the grid? I have a thousand customers that live off the power grid. Many live in nice 2000 sqft houses heated with oil and use generators for power. Not much different than the rest of America, except for that generator. I have customers that live on the power grid, but have no running water and heat with wood.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Yeah right...

Exactly!

Objective and without mockery? Please.

"Saget immerses himself in different unusual cultures from the world of mail-order brides to joining a survivalist cult prepping for the end of the world to rushing a fraternity."

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article...to_AE_20091117
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

I thought Saget was a comedian? Since when is he doing "documentary" work? Sounds more like the a new try at one of those "reality" shows that we all hate so much.

Kinda like them Ice Road Truckers who are currently up on the Haul road with an entire fleet of Expeditions and an army of producers and camera dudes getting in everyone's way yet again this year.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default post the air-time for this show, here

I really want to see the part where the hueys airlift those 3 passenger vans in while maintaining so very little footprint. Its going to help reduce the footprint a lot that a couple of people stay in the vans.

Reality TV?.... meet reality.

Default watch the old movie ..

"blazing alaska".. there you find 3or4 folks living off the grid... but its been awhile and some of them are back in town.... or head up to the black river area..the whole town is off the "grid",and more than likly not want to see any outsiders......then there is a guy livin up on the eastern brooks range next to Cannda... for YEARS. ps familyman ..u got that right!!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    Your really not going to find that many people living off the grid near the road system. Also "the grid" means something different up here, because there are a lot of communities that generate there own electricity especially the coastal areas. If you are looking for cabins that are off the grid, you are going to have to take planes or boats in the summer and snowmachines in the winter.
    I disagree matjpow, I live less than 2 miles from the parks hwy and everyone in my neighborhood is off the grid...and the longer, the better...

Lots of folks in the Susitna valley who are off the grid!!

Oh, I see Doug already basically osted this...

Then again, you couldnt pay me enough to contribute to the CRAP that is passed off as entertainment these days!!! We got rid of the TV last June and GOOD RIDDANCE!! Stayed in a hotel recently and of 70 channels, there was nothing worth wasting my time watching....

Living off the grid, or more appropriately termed the subsistence lifestyle is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. I have a suspicion though, that the vast majority of people who choose to live that way do so to avoid the very sort of thing that a film crew would represent.

I wish you the best of luck finding subjects for this project, but as the others have stated - logistically it is going to be all but impossible unless you eliminate the vans and cut your crew and equipment down to what will fit in a bush plane or on a few snowmachines.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog
    We got rid of the TV last June and GOOD RIDDANCE!! Stayed in a hotel recently and of 70 channels, there was nothing worth wasting my time watching....
    We haven't had tv for over ten years. We have one - it gets used occasionally for movies and that's it. My kids in my opinion are much better off without it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I am pretty sure that the old guy that shot at us while snow machining on the back side of Murphy Dome in the winter of 1986 will fit the bill for "stange days" and "off the grid".

Don't worry they were just warning shots as we went out onto the river.

He is probably still out there .... waiting.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Living off the grid, or more appropriately termed the subsistence lifestyle is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. I have a suspicion though, that the vast majority of people who choose to live that way do so to avoid the very sort of thing that a film crew would represent.

I wish you the best of luck finding subjects for this project, but as the others have stated - logistically it is going to be all but impossible unless you eliminate the vans and cut your crew and equipment down to what will fit in a bush plane or on a few snowmachines.

We haven't had tv for over ten years. We have one - it gets used occasionally for movies and that's it. My kids in my opinion are much better off without it.
    LOL Alaska has been the end of the road for many years. there are people out there that not only don't want to be found but prolly shouldnt also.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default UH! Question here

Who is Saget?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast