Thread: custom pistol grips

Default custom pistol grips

Tried this subject last week in the gunsmith section with no replies so lets try it again here - Looking for someone that makes pistol grips - I have the wood but not the tools, time, and probably ability to make what I am after. Any references on who may do this type of work?

What are you looking for specifically? That may affect who you want to do the work.

Craig Spegel does great 1911, hi-power and S&W revolver grips.
    Keith Brown does great work on S&Ws.
    Paul Persinger for Colt and Ruger single actions.
    Roy Fishpaw for all of the above, but he is not taking new work.

There are a few others, but these are some of the major players at this time.

Thanks for the reply - looking to have grips made for a Ruger MKIII

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Thanks for the reply - looking to have grips made for a Ruger MKIII
    There may be some off the shelf target type grips available for the MKIII - check Brownells for Volquartsen grips. Nill may have them as well. Spegel does not do grips for that model. Others may, but the price of full custom grips could exceed the price of the gun.

I have a set of the Hogue thumb rest ones on my MKII and am very happy with them. I know Ruger used to offer a set of wood ones with the thumb rest as well.

I am guessing you are looking for something a bit more along the lines of competition grips?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have a set of the Hogue thumb rest ones on my MKII and am very happy with them. I know Ruger used to offer a set of wood ones with the thumb rest as well.

I am guessing you are looking for something a bit more along the lines of competition grips?
    I have a set of the Hogue thumb rest grips on another MKIII and really like them- I would like to take that pattern and make grips from my piece of wood. Volquartzen makes a grip similar to what I am looking for but they are too big for my daughters hands.

I guess I may have to get out the chisel and go to work - good thing I have lots of wood to get practice with.