Thread: Charter advice in Homer for 2010

Default Charter advice in Homer for 2010

Hello all,my name is dan my family is planning a vacation to alaska this summer and would appriciate some recomendations for charter fishing trips in the Homer area.I couldnt imagine a trip to Alaska and not getting to fish while Im there.We will end our vacation flying into Ancourage and fishing for two days july31and aug1 then flying home to Pa the following day.My 13 year old son will join me fishing and wife and daughter plan on enjoying the local sites.Our original plan was to fish halibut one day and silver salmon the next,or do you recomend a combo trip both days.I have never fished either species befor but thought these two would provide a good experiance for my son. If you could give any advice on the trip or some reputable charters or even a decent place to stay while in Homer it would be greatly appriciated.Thanks in advance Dan.

Just a thought, but if you come into Anchorage and will be leaving two days later, you might want to consider Seward over Homer. Seward is a 1 1/2 hour drive from Anchorage, Homer is a 5 hour drive from Anchorage.

I'd also suggest doing combo halibut and silver salmon trips for both days.

I agree with Paul H. No reason to drive the distance to Homer when Seward is a few hours closer and can give you a great fishing experience for multiple species of fish. Halibut and Silvers should be very plentiful while you're here.

Default Seward

I also agree Seward might be a better option. Besides the shorter drive, I like the town of Seward better too. There are a lot of little cabins just outside Seward, and if you look around, you can find one of them cheaper than the price of a hotel.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default Charter Advice for Homer - 2010

I've been to Homer twice and fished with Brian Bondioli on Captain B's Charter. I had great trips both times. The boat is nice and comfortable. We caught limits of halibut & Silvers each time we went out. Brian takes good care of his clients and makes the trip fun. I'll go with him again when I go back.
    Kiana B&B is a good place to stay while your in Homer.

If you decide on Seward, I'd avoid Aurora Charters. I had a bad experience with them. Do some research on the charter you choose. Make sure they have a decent boat and can get out if there's more than a ripple. I did see a lot of nice halibut and ling cod on the dock, so someone(not Aurora) was catching fish. Both locations have great scenery. I liked Homer much more, but either way you'll have a great time.

As Hayjax eludes to, Seward tends to have more weather problems than Homer, with halibut anyway. Lots of charters aren't willing to make the trip out to the halibut grounds when the winds pick up as it often means big seas. In homer, most days you can get out for halibut as you don't get too far outside the bay. People might disagree but my point is just that you might have names for both places. Since your window of opportunity is so limited it would be to your benefit to check into both places for charter and then you can deal with any weather problems.

Other than that, I would do as the otherw have suggested. Seward is less than half the distance, and you can get into multiple species of fish...halibut, salmon, cod, rockfish, etc.

Regardless, enjoy your trip up. You may not want to go home.

Quote Originally Posted by THECAMERONS View Post
    Hello all,my name is dan my family is planning a vacation to alaska this summer and would appriciate some recomendations for charter fishing trips in the Homer area.I couldnt imagine a trip to Alaska and not getting to fish while Im there.We will end our vacation flying into Ancourage and fishing for two days july31and aug1 then flying home to Pa the following day.My 13 year old son will join me fishing and wife and daughter plan on enjoying the local sites.Our original plan was to fish halibut one day and silver salmon the next,or do you recomend a combo trip both days.I have never fished either species befor but thought these two would provide a good experiance for my son. If you could give any advice on the trip or some reputable charters or even a decent place to stay while in Homer it would be greatly appriciated.Thanks in advance Dan.
    Dan - if I had two days to fish in Alaska and had never done so (at least not for halibut and salmon), I'd go with the Seward option and do combo trips both days. This is for several reasons: it's much closer (though it's a solid 2 hours, maybe a bit more with summertime traffic, even 'pushing' speed limits); the scenery on the water is unbeatable; you are quite likely to get several species of fish incidentally when halibut fishing; and even if it's blowing hard, you can still get to the silver salmon. If you choose Seward you can't go wrong with Crackerjackcharters.com or Profish-N-Sea.com charters...many, many folks on this site will repeat those names.

If Homer is your choice, let me reccomend Rich Baltzer at fishhomer.com. I've fished with Rich for over 7 years, pretty much year-round. Everyone I've sent his way has always told me they had a great time. It's fun to fish with someone who likes to do it as much as I do, and you will catch fish.

As far as commodations, check out vrbo.com in addition to any of the usual hotels/motels in town. There are some nice places, and the smaller ones comparably priced to the hotels.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

It really depends on what you want more. Do you want a shorter drive and scenery? Or do you want a shot at a big halibut? Do you want multiple species?

Seward is a great mixed bag option as said before. You can also do alot of fishing without having to go out on the ocean. It is very beautiful there too, but the downside is its a long boat ride to the good halibut/lingcod grounds. Almost all the respectable charters try to run out there but like any place on the ocean, as the afternoon comes the wind picks up and getting home can get pretty bumpy, if not really lumpy. Lots of salmon in Seward.

If you really want to get in on some extremely fine Halibut fishing though, it's hard to beat Homer. The boat ride out to the grounds is pretty smooth in the morning, but your almost always going back against the wind on the way home. Most days. It's a long ride out to some of the good holes, but it's not quite as far as going out of Seward unless your going to the Barren's, which most captains don't do much anymore thanks to fuel prices. You can get some silvers without too much trouble, but rockfish, yelloweye and lingcod are a hard commity unless you really get into the right areas. Not that it can't be done.

If you go the Homer route look up Capt. Tony on the Falcon. I've seen many a fish come aboard that boat in the last 5 years that tops 100# and even his derby winnner in 2006. He is a great captain and always seems to know where the big fish are.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Wink A few minutes driving

Will put you in Homer where there is ALOT more to do and see. Plenty of things for the non-fishing people in your group to do too. Art gallerys, shopping, sight seeing , bird watching tours, etc.

The two best charters here for fishing are Captain Pete's and Magic Waters.

Captaind Pete's #'s 235-2911, or 399-6001

Magic Waters #'s 866-477-3474, or 235-0175, they also have cabins to stay in.

While you are here , if you can, take a sight seeing flight with Smokey Bay air.

A few minutes more than driving to
    Seward is what I meant to say.

Default Fly to Homer

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    Will put you in Homer where there is ALOT more to do and see. Plenty of things for the non-fishing people in your group to do too. Art gallerys, shopping, sight seeing , bird watching tours, etc.

The two best charters here for fishing are Captain Pete's and Magic Waters.

Captaind Pete's #'s 235-2911, or 399-6001

Magic Waters #'s 866-477-3474, or 235-0175, they also have cabins to stay in.

While you are here , if you can, take a sight seeing flight with Smokey Bay air.

I agree with the above post. Even though the drive from Anchorage to Homer is absolutely beautiful, it is a long haul for the short time you'll be there. You may want to consider a 1 hour flight from Anchorage to Homer ($200-$300 pp) and renting a car down there. Either way, you'll have fun!

Default Thanks All

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond it was very helpful.I decided to book a trip to Seward and fish with Crackerjack.Only concern I have is that one of the 2 days will be on a 14 passenger boat.I hope that isnt a problem.I just have pictures of a large head boat with lines crossing everywere. I cant wait to get there,everyone we have dealt with in planning this trip have been top noch.

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond it was very helpful.I decided to book a trip to Seward and fish with Crackerjack.Only concern I have is that one of the 2 days will be on a 14 passenger boat.I hope that isnt a problem.I just have pictures of a large head boat with lines crossing everywere. I cant wait to get there,everyone we have dealt with in planning this trip have been top noch.
    Have no worries...that's a good-sized boat with room to fish the entire perimeter of the boat...hard to find a better captain than Andy and you'll have a deckhand. I can't conclude my comments without suggesting you choose a jigging rod if available. It's way more fun than fishing bait, and usually more productive, too. And it'll also pick up the rockfish and lings as incidental catch. Good luck!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

You will have fun, but I wouldn't go out on a boat that big in Homer. The current is so much worse there and it's a nightmare with all the tangles, but anyway have fun.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Big boats ain't bad usually half the folks are pukeing the whole time so there's lots of room to fish..
    Unfortunately i have always been one of the puker's so i have never had the pleasure of enjoying the fruits of others hardships..

Sounds like a good plan. The larger boats are in the 40' range, so even if they have all lines in the water, folks are fairly spread out. There likely will be a 2, 3 or occasionally 4 way tangle, but the deckhands are amazing adept at straighting them out and getting you back to fishing. One of the upsides of the larger boats is more lines in the water means more bait in the water, which means more scent to bring the halibut in.