Thread: Left Eye Dominant

Default Left Eye Dominant

So BOTH of my boys are right handed and left eye dominant (ages 4 and 6). Any option besides shooting left handed? Funny thing is I am left handed but right eye dominant and have always shot right handed. Got the 6 year old shooting left handed to start.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I'm left handed and left eye dominant and been shooting right handed rifles all my life. Except the time my Dad dragged home to Savage 110 in L/H one 7 mag the other 243... I shot them for awhile but, went to shootign R/H rifles after that. But if you ever get them into shooting bow buy them L/H bows nothing worse trying to shoot a bow with your weak eye you will be a fuggered up..

This has probably been more common than realized but kids have been forced into right-handedness or have adapted to use right handed equipment.

This is where a lever, pump, or autoloader might be a good option. I am left-eye dominant and somewhat ambidextrious. My hand position always stays the same; left hand is closest to my body (with a hockey stick or shovel this is right-handed, with a pool cue or guitar it's left-handed. ?) I started with a Model 94 30-30 (no cross-bolt safety) and had no problems; I have a Browning BPS shotgun (tang safety, bottom eject) and now have a couple of LH bolt actions. I never had problems with Remington pumps or autos, though, or a Mossberg 500 (no flying brass/shell distractions.)

I think the eye dominance is the more important factor. I have a friend who is right handed but left eye dominant. He was always trying to cock his chin over the stock to see with his left eye. Once he switched to left hand, it came real easy.
    Drink indigenous.

I am in the same boat as the OP. Both of my 2 boys that are shooting age are wrong eye dominant. One prefers to shoot left handed the other right. I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed using my right eye. I am no sniper but I am good enough to shoot expert consistantly durring my time in the service. So far I am letting my kids try it both ways and see what they feel most comfortable w/. One of them is going to be getting a holo sight pretty soon I think since he shoots left but cant "wink".
    One thing that they get a real kick out of is shooting pop bottles full of water w/ the 17hmr. It is moving so fast it destroys them which is the ultimate payoff for a kid hitting the target! Lots more fun than knocking holes in paper!!

Default Whatever feels right!

I owned a sporting clays course for over 10 years - worked with many many shooters and this came up often.
    In my opinion eye dominance does not neccesarily relate to hand dominance. Point is: for young shooters let them tell you what feels right and then adjust.
    All one has to do is close or cover the dominate eye if its opposite of your shooting shoulder choice. Where it gets a bit tricky is bird hunting where its beneficial to have both eyes open at all times.
    Anyway work on the shooter simply closing the off gun eye when shooting and this will do it for most hunting scenario's. I shoot both left and right and can do OK yet right is my dominant side and luckily my dominant eye.
    If your youngster wears glasses simply cover the off eye lens with a patch and see how they like and adapt before you go to the trouble of changing guns completely....

I'm the same way, Right handed, left eyed. I shot for Lathrop rifle team left handed.. but shoot all other firearms right handed. I can even use red dots and other reflex sights right handed. I have trained my eyes to pick up on either side. I used to be neutral until puberty... then I started going left eyed.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I owned a sporting clays course for over 10 years - worked with many many shooters and this came up often.
    In my opinion eye dominance does not neccesarily relate to hand dominance. Point is: for young shooters let them tell you what feels right and then adjust.
    All one has to do is close or cover the dominate eye if its opposite of your shooting shoulder choice. Where it gets a bit tricky is bird hunting where its beneficial to have both eyes open at all times.
    Anyway work on the shooter simply closing the off gun eye when shooting and this will do it for most hunting scenario's. I shoot both left and right and can do OK yet right is my dominant side and luckily my dominant eye.
    If your youngster wears glasses simply cover the off eye lens with a patch and see how they like and adapt before you go to the trouble of changing guns completely....
    Eye dominance often changes through early life and staying aware of what is going on is important... The blinder solution is the worst way to go IMO&E. Both eyes open should always be used when shooting anything other than specialized target sports. Hunting with a patch is foolish and dangerous, but I have seen it done on pheasant hunts. Poor kid was on his nose more than his feet...

Shooting a right hand bolt left handed could lead to more danger if anything happens... Pierced primers will put a lot of crap in your face if you are shooting wrong-handed.
    art

Post Hap

Let me see if I can be a little clrearer as you misunderstood my post.
    Never would I rec anyone to go hunting with a patch - the only purpose of that is to test the shooter at a range to see if they can shoot the gun OK on the off shoulder and are comfortable with the sight picture. Then they can learn to close the off eye when hunting IF NEED BE in the instant before pulling the trigger. Its a fairly easy skill to grow into and safe.
    I have trained shooters that were not able to switch shoulders and had no other choice but to learn to use the off eye approach.
    Hope this clears that up for ya!
    If you saw a kid wearing a patch while hunting pheasants that is an accident waiting to happen.....

Post I'm the same way, Right handed, left eyed.

never knew it, as the gun i grew up with has a 2.5 drop at the "comb"..I layed across it, holding the weapon tight/close...now bow hunting that is a whole differnt story..u willl end up using a left hand bow and "tirgger finger".....start'em young so they get use to it...its hard to teach a old dog new tricks. .02cents
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I am right handed and left eye dominate but I shoot right handed. My grandson is the same and we used an eye patch over his left eye until he learned to close it. He did not want to shoot left handed and neither do I.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I am right handed and left eye dominate but I shoot right handed. My grandson is the same and we used an eye patch over his left eye until he learned to close it. He did not want to shoot left handed and neither do I.
    That about sums it up!

I agree with what the others are saying. I'd think it would be easier to train the hand than the eye, but just let them naturally do whatever feels right to them, and correct problems as they become apparent.

I'm one of the lucky ones - right handed, right-eye dominant.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

An interesting point in all this that's usually overlooked,is that the dominant eye is not necissarily the strongest eye! Such is the case with myself--right handed,right eye dominant,stronger left eye...and have always shot (rifles and shotguns) left handed with great results. Now before some of you think I'm mistaken--I've done the tests to determine which eye is "dominant" many times--and there's no doubt that it's my right eye...yet when I close one eye and look at distant objects-- 50 yards,150 yards,whatever--I can see the difference in "sharpness" and clarity favors my left eye....can even read signs with the left that are just a blur with my right! So,you may want to try to determine which eye is stronger as well as "dominant". The best thing anyone ever did for my shooting was when my dad told my brother..."leave him alone--let him shoot left handed if he wants" when I was first learnig with a Daisy BB gun....I didn't know why at the time--it just felt right. I close my right eye and have never had a problem with moving game,skeet,etc. I do shoot a pistol right handed,with both eyes open. Hope this helps.

Default Oooops!

I think I have made some of my best shots with them both closed

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I think I have made some of my best shots with them both closed
    Haha! Good one!

I'm left eye dominant but do everything right handed. I think I was meant to be a lefty since my Mom is a lefty and I hold my pencil weird when I write. People say that I hold it like a lefty but with my right hand. Numerous teachers have tried to fix it but to no avail. I have recently considered trying to switch to shooting left handed but I am not sure if it is worth all the trouble trying to relearn shooting with a different hand. I am 27 and have been shooting right handed since I was a kid, and for 9 years in the Army.