Thread: Who saw the huge cap-n-ball revolver at the Wasilla gun show?

Default Who saw the huge cap-n-ball revolver at the Wasilla gun show?

That thing was huge, .75 calibers I think it was and 11 pounds of iron. One of the most unique guns I have ever seen and got me thinking about using parts from my Nave 44 to build me a .50 to play with. Maybe even make the cylinder the same length as a Walker but in .50 on a Navy type frame, could be a fun toy and conversation starter.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I saw that thing also. I thought it was a plastic fake until I looked closer. You have to admit it was an eye catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    That thing was huge, .75 calibers I think it was and 11 pounds of iron. One of the most unique guns I have ever seen and got me thinking about using parts from my Nave 44 to build me a .50 to play with. Maybe even make the cylinder the same length as a Walker but in .50 on a Navy type frame, could be a fun toy and conversation starter.
    Now you've got my brain spun up again, Andy. Take one of the walker repros and convert it to .50. Then you've got a cap and ball with some punch for backup to remain consistent while hunting with a muzzleloading rifle.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

".75 calibers I think it was and 11 pounds of iron"

In a cap and ball revolver? Sounds like a true ALASKAN lead spitter there!

Boy, in 75 caliber, I hope it was heavy! I've got a 75 cal rifle, and when you get a good load of powder behind that 598 grain .735 ball, things start to happen at both ends.

Of course, if it's bore was a true .750, that would mean using at least a .760 diameter ball in a revolver. That's 661 grains.

That pistol had a larger diameter that 3/4 inch..!!? It looked like a full inch or better when I glanced at it. But I didn't calibrate my eyeballs that morning either.

much like the last chance pistols we carry today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdah_pistol

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike1 View Post
    That pistol had a larger diameter that 3/4 inch..!!? It looked like a full inch or better when I glanced at it. But I didn't calibrate my eyeballs that morning either.
    I bet. 75 cal is actually 11 gauge, right between 12 (.72) and 10 (.775). A .775 caliber ball weighs in at 700 grains, BTW.

The barrel on mine is over 1" at the muzzle and probably up near 1.5" at the breech. I can just imagine how big the cylinder was on that revolver!

Ya it was a big hole and a huge cylinder. My calibrated finger said it was just about the size of a 12 gage and it felt like it was made of depleted uranium when empty, loaded with 6 charges, caps, and balls it would add considerable tonnage! What a cool big boy toy!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Now you've got my brain spun up again, Andy. Take one of the walker repros and convert it to .50. Then you've got a cap and ball with some punch for backup to remain consistent while hunting with a muzzleloading rifle.
    I was looking at my Navy 44 and the cylinder is not big enough to just punch it out to 50 but there is plenty of room to move the chambers in so the outer wall is no thinner. This would mean moving the barrel center down in the frame and a very slight change to the hammer also. I need to pull the barrel to see if there is room to move it down but there should be. I donít have a Walker but I bet it would be the same math moving things to the center. I want to do it on a full frame Navy and ether build a new frame or TIG in an extinction and reinforcement on to stretch it to Walker length. The heavy Walker open frame should take a conversion like I describe just fine strength wise but I like the full frame Navy better. I have always wanted a Walker type cylinder on a Navy type frame and now I want it in 50 cal!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Yup saw it too

Was a huge beast and (if I remember correctly) the owner said he was using a 689gr ball, and "bad stuff" happend when he pulled the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    ....and "bad stuff" happend when he pulled the trigger!
    I can believe it. Get all your muscles supporting that weight without reaching in front of the cylinder, then the recoil going in the same way your muscles are lifting. Uh-uh.

Can you imagine a chain fire with that thing? Puts a whole new emphasis on sealing the chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Can you imagine a chain fire with that thing? Puts a whole new emphasis on sealing the chambers.
    That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona