Thread: Golden Eagle

Default Golden Eagle

I was driving to Fairbanks today and just north of Healy I spotted a golden eagle feeding on roadkill just off the road. I was surprised to see that bird even though I had seen a few bald eagles around Anchorage when I was down there over the weekend.

I thought I saw one near the dump between Eagle River and Fort Rich. It was a pretty good ways off, but I am almost positive it was. I also see a lot of bald eagles out there. One of our land navigation courses is right near artillary road, so we spend a fair amount of time out there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

it is common to mistake young immature bald ealges for Golden eagles in the interior. the young appear larger then the adults and it takes several years for the mature BALD to come into the balck and white plumage.

Golden Eagle siteing in Alaska are extremely rare and are typically during migratory seasons.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up goldens eagles

I seen a huge golden eagle a couple weeks ago near Wasilla, theres NO MISTAKING an adult golden
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default rare??

I've seen golden eagles several times, mostly while sheep hunting. I've seen a couple around the Anchgorage area too. I don't think it's that rare to see them.
    They are the number two predator of dall sheep.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Yep. I have a buddy that guides sheep east of Healy and he's shown me some really nice pics of goldens back in there.

When I was a kid we saw golden eagles all the time back up in Hatcher's Pass.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    I've seen golden eagles several times, mostly while sheep hunting. I've seen a couple around the Anchgorage area too. I don't think it's that rare to see them.
    They are the number two predator of dall sheep.
    Yep. We see them on pretty much every sheep hunt. Never get a very close look at them, but it seems that they are around quite a bit.

I remember a September hunt in the north Wrangells that must have been timed perfectly with the raptor migration because almost everytime you looked up there was some sort of raptor cruising by. Pretty cool.

i frequently spot them in cooper landing around the time the ewes are dropping lambs, and ive seen a few in broad pass as well.

Release Lake Trout

I trekked in Denali park quite a bit the last two summers and I always saw a few Golden Eagles when I was out in the mountains. Not sure what you mean about them being rare in AK?

i have certainly confused an immature bald for a golden at first glance, and think it happens a fair amount, as Vince said. while golden sightings are rare compared to bald's, they are many times unmistakeable for anything else. pretty awesome.

i would support some limited golden predator control in sheep areas, by the way.

ak doug- there is nest i know of still in the HPMA (in a pile of rocks), i see them cruising every summer, once watched one with the binoculars and saw it dive about 2000 ft. in a matter of seconds. they are still around the hatcher pass area in decent numbers, too bad the sheep aren't. poor things have to eat ptarmies, hares and squirrels instead.

...We have 2 that I definitely know of, right here in Seward, every year...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default golden in eagle river

last week my buddy was out playing frisbie with his year old lab in ER and a big golden tried to get his 70lb lab three times....i'm not sure which park it was...but he got ahold of F&G and told them about it...hopefully no ones dog becomes eagle bait
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"