Thread: Sage Flight Series, any experience?

Default Sage Flight Series, any experience?

Was thinking of picking up a new 6wt 4pc in a Sage Flight series. Anyone have one of these that would like to share how you like it, etc... How much more or less would I be getting versus a VT-2 or a Z axis or a GLX for that matter.

Thanks

I have one in a 6wt, it's works pretty good. The only thing I can compare it to is a GL3, and I can't tell the difference in performance.
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

I was working for Sage when they came up with the FLi. It was originally called the "FLing" and was meant to be an entry rod for Sage along with the "Launch" The FLi being the faster and higher end of the 2. The Launch has been discontinued to the best of my knowledge, but the FLing is still around and getting better every year. When they released the rod they sensibly called it the "FLight" instead. I have fished this rod for all types of trout (though I don't own it) and believe it to be 1 of 2 best rods for under $300. The other being the newly rereleased St. Croix Imperial (Man, that is an incredibly sweet rod too), lot of feel on both, the actions are very similiar and both display good casting abilities with a wide range of flies and styles (Big weighted streamers, tiny little nymphs. Hi sticking or floating dry's and droppers). IMO, for the low dollars you would invest, they are the best buy of all rods. Both are made in N. America. The Sage is still made in the US and the Imperial in Mexico.

Out of all the rods I have fished and own, the GLX is one of my favorites. I like the Z-Axis too, but not as much for the amount of dollars. It reminds me of the Winston Boron II. All of those rods run about $650-700.

If you are thinking over the FLight and aren't made of money, then I sure bet you'd be happy with the Sage. Now for the disclaimer; I have a short tight casting stroke and this is how I feel about these rods. If you can, it would be best to go to some fly shops and cast them all. Unfortunately, this will give you little if any idea of how they feel on the take. For this reason among others, I love the GLX and the FLing.
    Just my .02
    Last edited by Grits Hardway; 01-23-2010 at 16:25. Reason: accuracy

Also, the VT-2 stands for Variable Taper 2nd edition. As I remember, it is an idea that Jerry Siems was toying with for varying the taper profile to get the ideal taper for a given rod wt. (i.e., 4-5 wt. would have the ideal taper for a trout rod, 7-8 would have the ideal taper for small salmon, etc.) and they produced it. If memory serves me right this is a moderate action rod and may not be the best choice for a wide range of flies or styles, although I personally like fishing it with small flies for brook trout. Again, that's my opinion as it applies to my likes and casting style.
    Last edited by Grits Hardway; 01-23-2010 at 16:28. Reason: accuracy