Thread: Yakutat wild idea

Default Yakutat wild idea

I have been doing some research and it looks like there are several registration hunts in unit 5 around Yakutat open during late Oct - Nov. They are for brown bear, goat, and moose. I am primarily after brown bear, but I am wondering about the feasibility of taking roughly 1 week to devote to bear and moose hunting, then switching gears to look for a goat for roughly another week. Is this feasible? Would the logistics be feasible, i.e. do you need a boat to bear hunt then a plane to fly in for goat? Also, I realize in the fall the bears will be on salmon streams. How crowded is the hunting on the streams in the area?

I'm not looking for any secret spots or anything, just a sanity check on whether or not this is even doable. I am an AK resident, but don't live up there due to being active duty military. As such, I don't have a boat or anything to use. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Check the maps, alot of the area is private land which is leased to guides and even for them trophy fee's are charged. Check the tread mark taylor did a while ago.

Terry

Yeah, I saw that thread--crazy. I was looking at the National Forest/Preserve areas, though. Are there any huntable/possibly productive areas within the National Forest/Preserve areas (again, not looking for secret spots)? As I mentioned in another thread, with an upcoming deployment to Afghanistan and a baby due in Sept, I'm just trying to come up with some plans for Oct/Nov, and brown bear is high on my list.

Default Combo

Here is my experience.......Anything that has to do with goat hunting requires rest. That being said....if you hunt hard for bear and try and goat hunt your goat hunt just might not get 100% of your best effort. If you do the goat hunt then your bear hunt may not get 100% of your best effort. Thats just from a pure performance based standpoint.

So I'd say focus hard on Bear as that seems to be your primary. Considering that, if you down one you'll have plenty of responsibility to care for the hide properly. If you complete this task and feel strong head into the mountains understanding that your primary has been met and a goat is just a bonus.

I've done goat followed by other species combos before. The goat hunts always leave me wanting for energy and performance. The goat followed by the bear can be ok if your not hauling the bear too far. A goat followed by a moose.....man you better have some serious training and nutritional support. Regardless it's only time, energy, and pain. You can go home and recover......good luck with a new baby around the house.

I've heard of good Brownies in the Yak... area.

I agree, we saw some deer sign on our goat hunt this past fall on Kodiak (and had tags). We all got goats and had little interest in putting together the time and energy that would have been required to try and get a deer as well. Perhaps if one had come walking down the beach but we darn sure weren't about to bust brush back up the mountain to try for em. It was three trips up and down from the salt for me to get all of the meat, gear and hides out since we lost one guy to a knee injury on the first round trip. We did have a fox sneak into camp and steal a goat rug, unfortunately for the fox he took it out into the tidal flat but didn't get out of range of the 325wsm... Goat hide recovered w/ no damage and the fox is, I imagine by now hanging comfortably on my buddies wall. (funny his knee hurt so bad after taking a tumble that I had to retrieve his gear from the high spike camp but it sure didn't stop him from running around grabbing MY rifle and drilling a fox at 200 yards...)

OK, looks like doing BOTH is probably out of the question. Not sure I'm THAT motivated. Also, cape/hide/meat care would be a major concern I guess. Looks like I'll need to beg for more kitchen passes

Default Goat/Bear Combo

What does work well a lot of times is a goat/black bear combo hunt. Many places of coastal Alaska you will be seeing black bears while heading up for the goats or while back down camping close to some salmon streams in the area.

That might be a more "doable" combo if you plan the hunt right. Although I definitely understand your goal of trying to hunt brown bears as well as goats.

There are places to do this combo(goat-brownbear) as well--(or more limited locations for goat/grizzly) but with most combo hunts you need to focus on one as your primary goal and take it in stride if the 2nd species becomes available--or be willing to refit a little bit and move to another area.

Good luck--plan ahead of time and go make the best of it.

Default fishing

The fishing can be pretty good that time of year too. If it were me Id go for bear and have my fly rod along in case I got done early.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Default Yakutat combo

hoosier. . . .as others have previously stated goat takes a lot out of you, and probably does not make a great combo with moose/bear. It is more typically a singular endeavor mixed occassionally with black bear or blacktail. However, a brown bear/moose combo definitely works in that area. We did that exact thing in 2008, and we shot a moose and multiple brown bear all on registration tags (no boat and no other people seen). PM me with specific ideas or questions and I would be happy to help in whatever way I'm able. Thank you for your service.

Default millsymojo, PM sent...

Thanks for your advice.