Thread: Hornady Flex Tip .458

Thumbs up Hornady Flex Tip .458

Started using Hornady Flex Tip 325gr in .458 dia with MMP Crushed Rib Sabot and 90gr of 777 2F in my 50 Cal MK 85.

Any recovered from game yet? I'm interested in the whole flex/poly insert idea. I've had a more problem with failure to expand at lower velocities than any other ballistic woe in both centerfire rifles and single shot handguns. It would seem to be a natural for long shots in muzzies, too.

Default 45/70

havent used them in muzzleloaders but they work in my 45/70 good penetration and expansion

Thumbs up Bullets

I have used the Barnes Expander 250gr for years with 90gr of 7772F and Select. With excellent results 100 yards and less. These new Hornady Bullets seem to be alittle air friendly BC..........should give me a extra 50 yards. Really like the accuracy of the Flex Tip 325gr. No game yet just started shooting them......would be a super 200 yard bullet in newer 150gr powder guns that I don't have.

You can tell I have not upgraded my Muzzleloaders in many years.

MK 85 Predator in 50 Cal
    T/C Big Bore 58 Cal
    Browning JB Mountain Rifles in 50 and 54 cal

That's the same bullet that Hornady loads in their factory ammo for the 45-70 and the 450 Marlin. Both of those are pushing it at 2200+fps. I would think you need to get pretty close to that for adequate expansion.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thumbs up

Most impact vel are much lower than that......at 1500 FPS under 100 yards it should do fine.

One thing that really appeals to me is the weight. I know the trend is to light bullets and high velocities to try and flatten trajectories. But I think about 99% of that trend is aimed at deer, for which light bullets are fine on broadside shots.

But angle a deer or shoot at something bigger, and I sure want heavier bullets, not lighter. We're talking about a hunkametal whistling through the air, no matter how it was launched. And experience has convinced me that for tough jobs, heavier is always better.

Keep us posted on results. The only bullets I use in sabots are the Speer 300 grain hot cores or Hawks of the same weight. If something heavier is available and worked well, that's good news.

Default hornady

My brother in law just showed me some new Hornady 350 grain 50 cal bullets that look interesting, they are full bore size (no sabots) they have a hollow base like a minnie with what looks like a flex tip. He has shot some incredible groups with his encore with them, like an inch at 100!

Now that is interesting!

I'm assuming they're jacketed. If so, I would have guessed at obturation problems even with the hollow base. Added to that would be the necessity for sub-bore diameter to aid in loading. But then you go and tell me about 1" groups!

Is this the bullet you're talking about? They're claiming only 25 pounds seating force without a sabot, so I guess my concerns are unfounded. I'm wishing $18.71 was the price for 50, but I'm betting it's 20 or less.

Default FPBs

I think Hornady introduced these last year, or at least announced their coming. I recall my buddy telling me about them last winter. I've heard mixed reviews on PowerBelts over the years, I wonder how the FPBs will stack up... $16.99 for 15 bullets from Cabelas. So they're on par with other sabots on the market, like Barnes, T/C Bonded ShockWaves, and Precise Rifle sabots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default hornady

Brownbear yes that is the bullet, I have never loaded one but I was concerned about loading too, and my brotherin law said it wasnt a problem. I saw the targets and they will shoot in his gun.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I think Hornady introduced these last year, or at least announced their coming. I recall my buddy telling me about them last winter. I've heard mixed reviews on PowerBelts over the years, I wonder how the FPBs will stack up... $16.99 for 15 bullets from Cabelas. So they're on par with other sabots on the market, like Barnes, T/C Bonded ShockWaves, and Precise Rifle sabots.
    I've got a brother-in-law in the midwest who is a longtime fan and critic of Powerbelt. He took his strong criticisms directly to the company and ended up shooting a lot of 50 cal test bullets for them and even meeting some of the folks.

In a nutshell, the old ones were inconsistent about shedding their skirts, with 2 in 10 or so not doing it and resulting in dramatic POI changes even at 100 yards. Off a deer at 150 yards. Almost as bad, they had hardness problems, with a lead alloy that was too soft for the high vel use, resulting in severe leading in the bare bullets, yet hard enough that there was failure to expand in some of the jacketed.

The current version of their bullets reportedly solved all of those issues. In my BIL's experience, they're better, but still haunted by occasional failures to lose their skirts.

In my brief experiment with all weights of the old style 54 cal bullets, they seemed especially bad about the skirts. One-in-three, and with the heaviest, one-in-two failed. I never took any game with them because I couldn't trust them. I haven't got around to trying the new ones, because I'm still a little distrusting.

These new Hornadys are interesting to me because of the lack of skirt, as well as the lack of sabot for full bore size. Unfortunately they're not made in 54 or 58 cal, which are my only guns with faster twists.

Thanks for the feedback Yukon! I'd love to hear some game reports and see some recovered bullets. Expansion is a tricky thing at muzzleloader velocities, as it always has been at handgun velocities.

I have done a lot of shooting,testing, and comparing,of muzzle loading projectiles over the last several years and have found some interesting things about them. I have shot the Powerbelts in about 6 or 7 different rifles and have only found one gun that they shot good in. That gun was a knight disc rifle and would shoot 1 1/2 inch or better groups all day at 100 yards. The Powerbelt bullet is the easiest bullet to seat on a powder charge that I have found, a gentle push and it slides down the barrel. A friend of mine owns this gun in 50 cal. and has killed a good number of deer with this combo. It has worked well for him.

I have a Knight (50 cal. # 11 cap) that will not shoot the Powerbelt at all but will shine with a 240 gr. Hornady and sabot. This gun likes 100 grains of Pyrodex, this bullet and has supplied me with winter meat several times.

I have a TC Black Dimond that shoots the TC Shockwave the best, and I have a TC Hawken that will not shoot Pyrodex or sabots but is very accurate with black powder and patched ball.

I keep a fair supply of different bullets on hand for muzzleloaders and so far have only shot one gun that I could not get to shoot well enough to hunt with. It is a TC Encore in 50 cal. and the best I could get from it was about 8 to 9 inches at 100 yards with anything I fed it. At this time it is on it's way back to TC to be repaired or replaced. I normally keep Hornady, Powerbelt, Barnes, Thompson Center, and Knight bullets and different weights in most of these bullets to try in different guns. These guns are a lot of fun to play with and can often shoot better than you would think if you find the right combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    These guns are a lot of fun to play with and can often shoot better than you would think if you find the right combination.
    Ain't that the truth! Each rifle will have its preferences, and finding it is half the fun. Right now I have four 58 caliber rifles that I'm playing with, and each is a personality unto itself.

Default New Hornady Bullets

I've shot the new Hornady bullets out of my Encore and they shot just as good as the SST/ML bullets which are my favorite, just because they are a “little” easier to load. They are heavier than the 300gr bullets I use and drop a little faster past 150 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Brownbear yes that is the bullet, I have never loaded one but I was concerned about loading too, and my brotherin law said it wasnt a problem. I saw the targets and they will shoot in his gun.
    When we tried the FPB bullets and the Thor Bullets we use the bullet starter made by spinjag. The bullet starter works great! Just set the base of the bullet in the end of the muzzle just enough to get you centered. Then slide the guide sleeve over the FPB. The guide sleeve keeps the bullets from leaning side to side. Now just push it in. www.spinjag.com/spinjag_starter.php

Oh the difference in the FPBs and Thor bullets are that the Thors are sized by running them through sizing die.

Wow.... Spendy gear. I haven't encountered the problems you describe, but then again, I'm not selling stuff. Any match shooters in the crowd? Maybe they can react.