Thread: .284

Default .284

Any .284 fans out there? Lots of 270's, 308's and 06's in these parts but I can't think of anyone in my shooting fraternity that shoots a rifle chambered for any of the many 7mm chamberings. I have been thinking about changing that. So would love to here which 7mm's you guys like and what you like about them. Right now I'm betwixt the 7mm-08 and one of the 7's in a short mag. What do you think guys?

Default 7mm

The 7mm is one of my favorite calibers ! I can't really add much more than this as I'm not sure what your intended use for the rifle is.

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

Enclosed is a pretty good run down of the 7mm family. Hope it helps ! But if your going for a short action 7 read the section about the 7 SAUM.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Savage 99 + 284= Fun

My uncle has one and its a dandy all-around gun that he used often for moose up here and presently for whitetails in SD.

It is very accurate and yet handy.
    You don't see very many of them.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Kinda depends on what you want to do and what shape the rifle will take. In something small along the lines of a Rem Mod 7, it would be hard to beat the 7-08. In the same ballistic league but requiring a longer action, I'm a sincere fan of the 7x57 with three of them in the house. I'm also a fan of the 284 (3 in the house too- Sav 99, Winnie 100 and a custom), but I don't really consider it a short action caliber unless you're willing to seat the bullets deep. Yet seat them long, and you're in the realm of the 280 and such. Those are all fine with 22 inch or so barrels, but if you want longer barrels, why not go ahead and put a belt on the case and add a little more powder?

I'm just not familiar enough with the recent short 7's to pick between them. But I'd sure be looking to see if loading one in a shorter action and a 20-22" barrel would let you build a smaller lighter gun that topped the performance of a 284 or 280. Kinda interesting to think of something along the lines of a Rem Mod 7 in size and weight pushing a bullet fast enough to compete with a 7 mag out of a heavier rifle with a 24" or longer barrel. Dunno, but food for thought.

It's just like BrownBear said... it all depends on what you want to do with it and your preference or not of lighter recoil.

You can probably guess what my choice would be.... the short mag all the way. I would just as soon shoot a 270 Win or 6.5 Norma before the 7-08, but they are longer cases. A 7WSM will be very close ballistically to the 7 RM. The usual advantages... flatter and better wind bucking and I would expect it to be able to easily dodge rain drops

The biggest vermin this gun will ever see is probably whitetail deer and maybe a black bear over bait. I'm leaning more toward the 7-08 all the time as I have several hundred new 243 brass that could be necked up.

MR: I am not a speed freak like you. However if I lived and hunted in your terrain I would have to adjust my thinking to more along those lines. Where as a 400 yard shot is common to you and is accepted practice to me thats way out yonder. Of the 150 or so deer that I have killed probably 140 of them were inside 100 yards. Trajectory and wind drift are usually not factors. I would love to find a walnut Ruger 77 ultra light in 7mm-08 but they are hard to come by.

Any pet loads for the 7-08 on deer?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I run 120 TSX's in front of RL-15 in my 7-08. I took a moose and two Sitka blacktails with that combo this year, and I hope to do it again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    MR: I am not a speed freak like you. However if I lived and hunted in your terrain I would have to adjust my thinking to more along those lines. Where as a 400 yard shot is common to you and is accepted practice to me thats way out yonder. Of the 150 or so deer that I have killed probably 140 of them were inside 100 yards. Trajectory and wind drift are usually not factors. I would love to find a walnut Ruger 77 ultra light in 7mm-08 but they are hard to come by.

Then why did ya even ask about the short mag? It sure didn't sound like you

OK, loads for the 7-08... You might try RL17. It will get you 100-200 fps more than other powders, or.... it will give equal velocity with a lot less pressure, or.... split the diff.....

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...5&cartridge=70

I am a big fan of the 7mm's. I have two 7mm Rem. Mags, and a 7-30 Waters. I get a few shots up to about 400 yds. so I use the 7mm Mag. most of the time. The 7-30 Waters I have is a TC Contender handgun and is a excelent caliber for whitetails and blackbear up to mid range shots. It would be a super good gun in a longer barelled version. A friend of mine that I hunt with some uses a 7mm-08 and it shoots good and does a good job on whitetail also. This would be a excelent gun at under 250 yards. I like a 140 gr. bullet in a 7mm. for whitetails. The bullet I shoot most is a Sierra, bullet # 1905 in the rifles, and a Nosler 120 gr. BT in the handgun. I have had very good results with the 7mm's.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

I had a Remington model 700 in 7mm mag. Accuracy was great, but I didn't like the rifle itself.

For a sub-thirty caliber round, the rifle was just too big and heavy. Perhaps it was just my expectations, but I felt the 24 inch barrel length, overall length of the rifle and weight were too much for a 7mm round. If a rifle is going to have all that, I might as well take a 30 caliber or larger rifle with me.

My preferred shooting distance is within 300 yards, the 7mm mag had excessive amounts of power and speed within that range for the medium sized game I intended to hunt.

I feel, the 7mm-08 would meet my expectations for the caliber.

The next 7mm cartridge I purchase will have these considerations in mind. Light weight, small compact size, short overall length, adequate power within 300 yards for medium sized game (under 350 pounds).

I have a .280 Rem in a Weatherby Mk V Ultra Lightweight. I don't have too much experience with it yet, but it is a shooter and carries like a charm. So far I am very fond of the .280 because it is more versatile than the .270 (in my mind at least, due to the wider range of bullet weights available) but shoots flatter than the .30-06. And that is no faint praise!

Thanks for the replies guys! I just ordered a box of the 120 grain TSX's and a set of RCBS 7mm-08 dies. I picked up a Marlin XS7 this morning for $262.00 from my local dealer! I have got 3 of the Marlins now a 243, a 270 (Jr. already latched onto this one with my blessing of course) and now the 7mm-08.

MR; No hard feelings man! I probably shouldn't have mentioned the short mags in my original post as was considering them but not strongly. My bad...I guess. The speed freak comment was not meant as a dig, insult or anything of the sort. I was just eluding to the different demands in yours vs mine as far as terrain goes. If I were where you are your choice would have been my first.

Can I make a suggestion? Let your hair down a bit my friend! You've been wound a little tight as of late. You don't need to be....there ain't no pecking order here.

EKC, there were no hard feelings at all on my end. I was just pulling your chain a little. Getting a tone across on the internet isn't always successful. And I am a self admitted speed freak... been called a lot worse things in my life, so that sure didn't bother me. But to tell ya the truth I did wonder why you even asked about the short mag cause I know you aren't a fan of them. No big deal, just a little curios.

The days are starting get longer and spring is just around the corner.

Take care and have fun with your new toy

I've shot and enjoyed the 7-08, 280AI, 7SAUM, 7WSM, and 7RM.

All good calibers... and the 120X is sweet. If it were me, I'd just buy 100 or so new pieces of 7-08 brass. I hate necking up.

7-08
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm RUM
    All of these are Remington 700s and I love them equally!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I have a 7 mag, 7mm Gibbs, 7mm-08 (wife gun) and a 284 win. The 284 is in a 99C and that thing shoots great with 160 Speer bullets. But if we all stand back and look at what the 284 was orginally designed for, a round in a levergun that shot with the 270 and winchester did it with the 150 gr bullets. But here we come handloaders stuffing that case with 160gr, 175 bullets. So with the 284 if you build it on a short action best to stay with 150 and below, if you desire to shoot 160 and higher better off building it on a std length action. Anyhow Love them 7mm-08 but I love the 284 even more and if you ever luck into a Savage 99 in a 284 for a good price buy it. You will never regret it...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I have a 7 mag, 7mm Gibbs, 7mm-08 (wife gun) and a 284 win. The 284 is in a 99C and that thing shoots great with 160 Speer bullets. But if we all stand back and look at what the 284 was orginally designed for, a round in a levergun that shot with the 270 and winchester did it with the 150 gr bullets. But here we come handloaders stuffing that case with 160gr, 175 bullets. So with the 284 if you build it on a short action best to stay with 150 and below, if you desire to shoot 160 and higher better off building it on a std length action. Anyhow Love them 7mm-08 but I love the 284 even more and if you ever luck into a Savage 99 in a 284 for a good price buy it. You will never regret it...
    I've got the 99C in 284 too, and I agree up and down the line. Longer than 150 grains kinda defeats the purpose of the case as it really eats up powder capacity.

And yeah, don't pass on a 99 in 284 in the unlikely event you run across one. Talk about a versatile gun!

And if you're a nostalgia buff like me, don't overlook the 7x57, long as you're handloader. I like the way mine shoot with 160's and 175's better than I do my 7-08. Pure prejudice, but there you have it.

If you want a really handy rifle, look at the Ruger #1 International in 7x57. Yeah, it's a single shot, but it's also shorter than a Model 94 Winnie and better balanced for offhand shooting. And easily a 300+ yard gun with the right loads. Talk about a handy gun!