Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30-06 predator hunting...

Default .30-06 predator hunting...

DONT LAUGH... just some questions.

Are there any rounds for a .30-06 that are suitable for coyote, wolf, lynx hunting? or is it way to big of a gun? Be honest.... thanks

Remington Accelorater 55 grain 4000 ft/second
    I dont know if you can find them.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    Remington Accelorater 55 grain 4000 ft/second
    I dont know if you can find them.

If you can't find those, any bullet designed for heavy game, like a partition, really doesn't do a lot of damage if you don't hit them in a shoulder. The thin bodied animals don't give the bullet the resistance to expand and create a large exit wound, but a heart/lung shot will drop them just the same. Not ideal, still more damage then a .223, but nothing that can't be sewn up.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

150 grain full metal jackets are pretty decent. and like trouthead said the accelerators work great....but very hard to find anymore....

Release Lake Trout

Default 30-06

Remington loads a 125 grn PSP in the 06', works good on whitetails and heavy varmints. I've found it to be more accurate than the accelerator rounds, just not as fast.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm not laughing, a buddy of mine hunted coyotes with a 7mm mag with heavier bullets. He owned a 243 but he didn't like the damage. Ball ammo for the smaller stuff and a 165sp for the larger (in the 06). The longer shots from the 7mm did a lot less damage than my 6mm at any range.

Tombo - how far were yall shooting with the 7? ive been laughed at for even mentioning 7mm and coyote in the same sentence. i have 115 gr bullets for my 7mm stw and ive been loading em way down but it would be nice if i didnt have to.

He was shooting at 100 plus yards and heavy bullets. The light ones are way to explosive he found. The normal outcome was a hole the size of a quarter to 50 cent piece. Broadside shots in the cage were best and they seemed to all just fall over, which was nice.

i appreciate the info. thats good to know.

Thumbs up I'd use an '06...

Give a heavier bullet like 165grs and up a try. They'll take more to open up than the lighter ones would on any of the critters you've mentioned. Even if you hit front leg bones or a scapula, that bigger bullet will punch right through it all with less damage than a fast 7mm would. And hitting it through the ribs broadside leaves about a .30 cal hole on both sides. No guarantees though if you hit a coyote headon and run the bullet stem to stern, that one's always a crap shoot. Even though I primarily use 55-60gr FMJ in my 22-250 for predators, not all of my predators have been killed with it. I've taken the majority with my 338WM shooting 250's at them because I was out hunting other critters. The damage has usually been less than with my varmint rig. Give it a try.
    Oh yah, head shot's with the '06 don't count. THAT gets ugly...

Default +1 for normal hunting weight boolets

165 to 180 grainers at big critter velocity won't tear things up bad. plus it'll give you valuable practice with your huntin gun.

FWIW - I to am guilty of smokin predators with the 338WM. 225 partitions are deadly on just about anything you poke with them. And that was the least ammount of sewing I've ever done on shot song dogs. 2nd cleanest dogs fell to head shots with a 22 mag. Ol' boy wouldn't take a shot if it wasn't in the head. bang, thump, flop.

Back on track = shoot yer huntin bullets

If I hadn't built an AR this past year my plan was to use my 270WSM with the same 140 grn accubonds that I use for everything else. My buddy center punched a fox w/ a 200 grn accubond from my 325 this past year but I haven't seen the pelt to see what kind of damage it did. I do know that the fox was DRT as you can imagine!

I've taken two predators with my 30-06 shooting 150 gr. bullets. The first was a silver fox on Kodiak at about 50 yards, and the exit hole was no bigger than 1/2". The second was a wolf at about 15 yards, maybe less. I'm not sure of the physics of it, but for some reason that one left an exit hole that is at least 10" in diameter. It was a young wolf in its summer (August) coat, so it wasn't worth much for taxidermy purposes anyhow, but that would have been one heck of a sewing job if I wanted to.

I would imagine that the bullet exploded on the close up shot due to it hitting the wolf beyond it's designed velocity. I passed on an opportunity at a fox at about 10' w/ my 325 figuring that there wouldn't be anything to even pick up if I blasted it at that distance. I have been back to the same area about 5 times w/ my 17hmr and apparently the fox can tell the difference between the 2 rifles since he has since avoided me. Oddly enough my hunting party has had several close encounters w/ fox in this area (perhaps same one). In every instance we have been carrying something that would not be suitable. The most recent sighting the only weapons in the group was a 300RUM and a 375 Ruger and again the distance was best measured in feet. I will say that if it had been a wolf rather than a fox then I would be able to tell you exactly what kind of carnage any of the above weapons would do at those ranges

Yeah, you're probably right about the bullet exploding, Jon. Like you mention in your closing sentence, though, passing up the shot was not an option. I find wolf scat with sheep hair in it every time I'm in the area, so I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity. I just wish I hadn't missed the other 6 wolves that exploded from the den that I was unknowingly sitting on.

Lujon,
    At 10' you might as well bring a 22LR handgun along just in case. That's close combat. That's odd that in the same area the Fox or Foxes have come so close to people. Do they act strange (rabid), or just come in and take off?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've taken two predators with my 30-06 shooting 150 gr. bullets. The first was a silver fox on Kodiak at about 50 yards, and the exit hole was no bigger than 1/2". The second was a wolf at about 15 yards, maybe less. I'm not sure of the physics of it, but for some reason that one left an exit hole that is at least 10" in diameter. It was a young wolf in its summer (August) coat, so it wasn't worth much for taxidermy purposes anyhow, but that would have been one heck of a sewing job if I wanted to.

The only way you would get a 10" exit wound with any any bullet at any distance is hitting bone, like a shoulder blade.
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

when i was younger living on the farm i shot a red fox with my 7 mm ....165 gn.

i picked up the tail and shook the chunks off of it.. looked pretty much like semi truck road kill
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

At close distances I'm pretty sure it's the liquid in the animal plus velocity doing the damage.

Imagine shooting a plastic water bottle with a 30-06, and then with a bow. The 30-06 transfers most of the energy to the water, which doesn't compress, so it explodes. The arrow is low energy so it just leaves a hole in and out.

I am sure someone else can explain it better than I can.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Hornady FMJ

Hornady has a 150gr FMJ BT that I use, you have to hand load for this bullet. If you could find someone to load for you they could play with the load and get it to hit real close to your favorite hunting load. I shoot 180 gr barnes for hunting and I carry 150's for thin skin animals, and the point of impact at 350 yds is the same. This way if I see something I want to keep the hide together on I swap rounds and poke pinholes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast