Thread: Student Welding Project

Default Student Welding Project

My son and his buddies are on their 2 semester of welding at King Career Center. I'm tring to think of a project for them that they could possibly sell when they are done. They have access to some nice equipment and they do a pretty nice job. I was thinking about finding some plans for a meat trailer that they could sell when completed.
    Any suggestions or plans would be greatly appriciated!!!

i have a few pics anf ideas that woul dmake a great trailer just havn't had the time or money to replace my welfer and build it. can they do aluminumn yet?

How about having them build a few sled lifts, for lifting snowmachines off the ground so a person can work on them. I've got some plans I can forward to you if your interested. I'd even buy one if the price is right should you decide to go this route. I think they would sell pretty well since Alaska has a huge riding population.

Default Aluminum roof rack for Side by sides

How about something like this for my Ranger 6X6 I say "my" Ranger in jest, because I'm not sure if your looking for a custom project or a one plan fits all mass production project. I am looking for something like this for my Ranger as I'm sure other Ranger or Sidebyside owners are too. I'd be willing to loan mine for measurements if need be and depending on price would buy a set up like this.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/1557811779.html

Iíll second that on a hard top for a Ranger. Iím not worried about losing the tilt-bedÖnot a necessity for my use, but a rear cage and hard top is exactly what Iím looking for, and I especially like that that low profile roof rack. I've not seen any aftermarket kits I like.
    Iíd be interested in seeing plans for custom meat/gear trailers as well.
    NORTH2AK...keep us posted! Good luck to your son.

Something I could use----have them weld some gas can racks that could be bolted on an existing meat wagon on the front. The material shouldn't be too expensive and I think they would sell.
    I want one, so if they decide to make any send me a PM.

Great Idea's guys, If you have plans send them to me, they have several kids looking for projects. They can weld aluminum but the school is out of wire right not, hopefully soon! Send me a PM and I'll give you my email address to make it easier.
    I saw the track lift they have at ERPAC and it looked pretty simple. I would like one as well but it would be nice if a preson could break it down for storage. I'm sure the boys would like to sell their product for material and a little end of year party money!

I wonder if Ron Ginter? still works there? He was the shop tech when I went through that program when it first started. Curt Sather was one of my instructors. It was a lot of fun and gave me a chance to hone a skill that I still use today at times.

I'd be interested in a Custom Radar Arch with rocket launchers.

Default Trailer Plans

order trailer plans from RRR Enterprise at www.wildak.net the wood box meat wagon was one of my first welding projects. Its been a great trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    I wonder if Ron Ginter? still works there? He was the shop tech when I went through that program when it first started. Curt Sather was one of my instructors. It was a lot of fun and gave me a chance to hone a skill that I still use today at times.
    His last name is Walsh (not sure about spelling)

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    order trailer plans from RRR Enterprise at www.wildak.net the wood box meat wagon was one of my first welding projects. Its been a great trailer.
    Your link didn't work!

Brian Walsh is the teacher. Great guy both myself and my brother went there around 2002/2003. We made several things from track lifts (snowmachine) to pipe racks for trucks. We also had a drift boat that we did as a class project. Try the Miller Welding website as the have several projects to make. I know one thing a couple people built while there was a atv meat trailer. Another good project would be a good freight sled for snowmachining. Lots of people use them and the good ones can be quite spendy.

Default Log skidder?

Ive been itching to build a log skidder to pull behind my wheeler or possibly my sled. Something with and arch and a boat winch to life the logs off the ground.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

You said they can weld aluminum but they are out of wire, are they learning TIG or just MIG with auminum wire?

Not real sure on the Mig/Tig?? I'll ask. I'm going to have them build me a stand to hold the front of my drift boat trailer up in the winter. Finally get away from the saw horse!!!