Thread: Organic suet

Default Organic suet

I'm ready to try grinding my own game, and I've read alot about folks who don't add any fat to their grind. I haven't decided which way to go, may try both with and without. But it seems a shame to take good organic game and potentially add some of the bad stuff that makes me shy from store-bought beef.

Anyone have a source of organic suet in/around Anchorage? Would probably prefer beef, but pork would be interesting too for making sausage.

Default pork

Pork is much better than beef fat for sausage. You don't want to add suet - you want the softer fat.

Safeway will put some aside for you if you ask a day or two before you need it.

I just made up a 100 pounds of sausages and brats yesterday. My cheapo grinder failed so I picked up another one at Sportmans - they only had the 1 hp left.....I didn't/don't need a 1 hp grinder......but I have one now. It rips through the meat really quick.

Does Safeway have the organic fat? That's what I was really asking about, but I appreciate the other inputs too.

Default Organic?

I think that their pig/cow fat is from critters that are certified and have their shots.

I didn't know that there was such a thing as organic fat - less'n you take it off a wild critter you shoot.

You can put some meat binder 414 and some high temp powdered milk into your sausage and burger to get it to hold together some if you don't want to put fat in it.

Maybe "organic" isn't the right term. I'm interested in avoiding fat from animals that have been pumped up on hormones, etc. for faster/more growth. Closer to the "all-natural" state of the animal I have just killed.

Perhaps the best solution is to just grind burger without fat, and just accept my fate for sausage that it may have those elements when using store-bought fat.

Default ground meat

the ground meat without fat added is really good for spagetti, tacos, burritos, that kind of stuff.

For sausage (breakfast or summer) you really have to put some fat in it. I have done as little as 5% and then wished I had put 10% in it...with the meat binder/powder milk and some cheese it holds together pretty good if you can stuff it tight.

Lightbulb

Mort. thats good thinkin,,,,,,,, Im going to have to check into that.

I am from cattle country. I don't personally raise them, but have been around quite a few various types of cattle operations from single 4-H pets to 80,000 head feed lots. Most farmer/rancher types I know don't qualify as "all natural", but don't pump them up either. Most cattle feeders don't use much more than a single dose of a basic antibiotic for general health when they are young and a single dose of a product to maximize nutrient uptake. To my knowledge some feedlots MAY give this later product as often as 90 day intervals. Most feedlots differ from farm/rancher outfits by limiting excercise and maxmizing feed rations. Same goes for the hog operations.
    No they are not 100% all natural, organic or what ever, but most are not far from it in all reality. They are just potentially a healthier animal with less death rates.
    How are the cattle/hogs in Alaska raised?

Default Steroids in ranch raised cattle

Most cattle ranches do use steroids in there calves. Its injected in the ear at branding time. Some times when steroids aren't used the rancher will wait until a few weeks before shipping to castrate the bull calves. This is usually harder to do because your dealing with a 600 lb calf instead of a 100 lb calf. Its usually not worth the extra work. This day in age its all about the dollar and the steroids will put on an extra 50 lbs witch generates about another $50 per calf. Pretty good return on something that only costs you a few cents per calf. My folks tried the no steroid thing for several years and the only thing that happened is that there end of the year check was smaller than everyone elses so now they use steroids on every thing except the calves that they keep for there own freezer.

I should add that I'm not from Alaska (only been here for one year and ten months). I was born and raised in Montana and my family has been raising beef since about 1910. Give or take a year or two. My advice if you want all natural beef (cannot speak for pork) is raise it your self or make friends with a rancher and cut him a deal and set aside a calf and have him feed it up for you.

I have butchered many moose over the past 35 years some were mine and some were friend's moose. I always added beef suet to the burger until this year. I only ground straight moose meat and I love it. I should have been doing this all along. By the way, the first moose I ever butchered was about a 36 inch rack size animal and it had beautiful fat on it. I added this to the burger meat and it was very strong flavored. I love the flavor of moose but that was too much for me to really enjoy. To each his own that likes it.