Thread: New brass question

Default New brass question

Kinda a lame question, but do I need to resize new brass? I ordered 100 pieces of unprimed Remington 44 spl brass from Cabelas. Can I start priming, charging and seating right away, or do I have to resize the brass first?

Dumb question, but I really don't know. Figured I could ask and by the time I'm ready to hit the garage I'd probably have an answer.

Tim

Tccak71 - I resize all my new rifle brass. The reason is sometimes the mouth of a case aren't completely round but flat on one side so seating a bullet won't be doable. Also, I don't know about pistol brass but with rifle brass I also ream the flash hole for uniformity as well. I'm sure there are some others who will have more info on pistol brass prep. Just my .02

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i do too.. size, debur the works on it first shot through.. after that clean and size is all thats needed for a few trips.

i dont trim new brass as it may shrink or grow on first fire
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Make sure a bullet will fit into the case mouth (probably won't) before you start. Most handgun brass has to be run thru the expanding die first to open up the mouth.
    Tennessee

I always resize new brass, and ream the flash hole. I am not saying my way is the right or the only way to do but I also check the length. I purchased new 6mm Rem. brass the other day and there was 4 or 5 thousands difference in length in one bag. Also if you are loading for a pistol and need to crimp you will need all brass a uniform length. Also if loading for a pistol you will need to expand inside case mouth.

I neck size and deburr new rifle brass for the reasons state, and trim if necessary. I don't see the need for full length sizing, though.

I don't resize new pistol brass. Any dings or irregularities in the case mouth will be pretty much resolved when you bell the case mouth, in most cases. In the very rare (like once in the last 20 years) occasion when a case is squished so badly it needs resizing, yeah, I'll do that one case.

I don't resize, but I do run the cases over the expander ball (rifle cases) to make sure the case mouths are round, then I'll deburr, chamfer, and load.

I've not heard of any problems using new brass as recieved, although upon measuring some for length, I would advise trimming generally. That may differ from what you see in your particular lot of brass. I myself treat new brass as an unknown and full length size, trim, deburr, before I load as I don't trust the dimensions to be consistant.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Ok, glad I asked. Seems like I need to take some measurements and see if my bullet will fit the case mouth.

Tim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I've not heard of any problems using new brass as recieved, although upon measuring some for length, I would advise trimming generally. That may differ from what you see in your particular lot of brass. I myself treat new brass as an unknown and full length size, trim, deburr, before I load as I don't trust the dimensions to be consistant.

it is interesting you mention that.. when i first started reloading last year. i was instructed that trimming new brass could lead to it being to short or too long, after the first time fired. That is should be once fired before timming to fit your chamber.

have you any experiance with that? I have made sure my COL is all the same for first time around. but did exact measures after that.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

For me it depends on what you are doing. For accuracy stuff, I will resize, trim, check the primer holes and then clean and seperate into batches by weight. For my .44mag, I will just check the primer holes and resize for the out of round mouths.

I've had a couple of punched primers that the tab had folded back over the hole a bit... don't know if it would really cause a problem, but didn't seem like a good thing.

I always size new brass and trim rifle brass. I never trim with handgun brass.

I would imagine it's possible for new, trimmed to length brass to shorten on the first firing, although Ive never experienced that myself. Had a batch of 2000 LC match 7.62 (308) that I bought new from DCM years ago, did my usual full length, trim, deburr. Each time I reused that brass, it would typically remove material during the trim stage, less with each subsequent firing, as to be expected. Finally, as the brass reached the end of its useful life, the trimmer would just barely touch the case mouth, in many instances not enough to require deburring. Just one example of many I'm sure. Other folks experiences probably differ. There are so many variables involved that I don't believe there is a "best" way. Experimentation with detailed recordkeeping is a good method.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I dont see any reason not to size new brass. It's not that difficult and IMO well worth avoiding any seating problems. I have never seen new brass that hasn't had irregularities in it, including Norma.

I too do not trim until after at least one firing. I timmed new 300 WSM brass a couple of years ago only to find that many of them shrunk after first firing, then had to chase them with more trimming.