Thread: April fishing

Default April fishing

Business trip brings me to Alaska 4/1/10... can I expect any open fresh water that early in the season on Kodiak or the southern edges? I would expect any action to be slow if available at all. Please let me know if I should try and plan on spending a few days after the business trip fishing (and where to go!) or if it just isn't a good time of the year.

Thanks.

if you are in kodiak go fish in the salt, there will be open water probably but the dollies don't really start moving till may
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for the tip - not too big on saltwater fishing, but absent an early spring I think that might be my only option that early in the year.

Here's a thought:
    Tell your boss that the only flight available returns through KTN, then book your return through there and book a couple extra days lodging on POW (because, unbeknownst to you, you are going to have a 2 day weather delay-very common in Alaska Travel), then Grab the ferry over to POW and spend 2 days fishing Steelhead and Cutt.s on the Thorne, Klawock or Karta. The Harris is not far from the Ferry landing either from what I hear. Also, the Naha is a good bet if you only go as far as KTN and will save you half a day of ferry travel (a little less?) each way. Just sayin'...

Sounds like a plan! Fortunately, I am the boss, so shouldn't be too hard to swing. If I want the best chance of fishing, should I go to POW or try the Naha?

Thanks for the info

I'll ask Kingfisher. He lives on KTN. Off the top my guess is POW because there may be more options available without an air or boat charter. If Money/Time are an issue, then Naha.
    But I'll ask because I am curious myself (I've never fished the Naha but hear it can be really good in April.

PTMPLS,
    Survey Say's - "Definately POW"!
    Thanks Kingfisher...
    Grits
    PS Don't forget to post picks after you get home!