Thread: Cabelas pack on Barneys frame??

Default Cabelas pack on Barneys frame??

Sorry you guys` but i finally got my barneys frame, the frame is well worth it, but i just can not see myself paying that much for those packs. at 270 bucks. I am looking at the Cabelas Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Pack an was wondering how well that pack will fit on the Barneys Frame. I also wanted to know what people think about the price difference and if it was worth it too them. THanks sooo much Vance

Default carry bow

Well i also wanted to put in that i am looking at the pinnacle pack of barneys. I was curious how well that pack holds a bow if annyone has used that feature of the pack. im starting to lean towards just dropping the extra money and getting that pack. Its just hard to put over 500 into a pack being a college student... oh well it will last a while. thanks once again

Default Cabelas Bag

I had a Cabelas bag (the Outfitter) on a Barney's frame and it worked well. This fall I got the Barney's Pinnacle pack. If you don't have the pack yet, I would highly recommend holding out and saving your money to get the Barney's bag. They are lighter, yet have more space and are more durable than the Cabelas bag I had. I have not used the Extreme Outfitter, but I believe you would just end up spending more in the long run when you get the Barney's later on.

if you've got the frame don't disgrace it with a cabelas bag....
    don't buy a top of the custom rifle and insult it with a tasco scope....
    don't buy an exspensive car and get tires at walmart....
    dont' find a super woman and ruin her with a tiny diamond....
    don't pay tons of money for a hunt and bring crappy gear...
    see a pattern here? you won't regret the barney bag...flat out.

brwnbr, do you mean something like a $20 saddle on a $1000 horse?...lol

I couldnt agree more. I'd wait til I can afford a good bag for the frame.

Wink Equipment

I was watching on discovery awhile back, and they were interviewing a women that was in her late 80's now.
    She had Climbed Denali back in the 1940's just after the war.
    They had wood frame packs made of canvas, they had no Goretex, no Northface, no Mountain Hardware, no Barneys, no Cabela's.
    just Wool, leather, some rubber steel and some enourmous Hearts.
    I sometimes think we get locked into the Gear head mode sometimes, and forget that 5 years ago the Gear that was the greatest then is called crap today,,, I can only imagine what some call the gear now that this women was wearing the day she hit the summit on the Great one 55 years ago.
    A very wise man told me once that the fellows that got the most wealth from the Gold rush were the people that sold Slush boxes to the miners.
    It seems the same with gear, The new fashion for the season, only the best outdoorsman wear the newest latest and greatest fashion in equipment. How did we ever capture all those Moose, Elk, Deer and Bears using those old pieces of equipment???
    I guess thats why I like those old pictures Sayak has for his avatar, The old Wool coats, the old canoes, the old lever action rifle,, etc....
    Not a bad time to be from.....
    I can't believe that they did it all without a Barneys...
    Can you imagine how grandpa would have enjoyed the Cheapest Tasco scope on his old 30-40 craig rifle back in the 1940's..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Alaskacanoe point well taken!

I bought the Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter pack and frame about four years ago. I upgraded to a Barney's Freighter Frame two years ago. That's was the best money I've spent on packs ever. I would probably have bought one of his packs as well but the Outfitter pack was still just fine. It fits just fine on the Barney's frame. The Alaskan Outfitter pack is heavier than most of Barney's packs but comes with a built in rain fly that I'm sure makes up some of the weight difference. The Alaskan Extreme Outfitter weighs the same as the comparable Barney's pack but also has a built in rain fly. I've never owned a Barney's pack so I can't compare the Cabela's pack to one but I can say I've never had a problem with my pack in four years, one moose, one caribou, two sheep, a bear hunt, and a goat hunt. All told, the pack has spent about five months in the field. That's nothing compared to what some people hunt but I'm sure it's representative of the majority of this board. Because the Cabela's pack hasn't failed on me I haven't seen the need to buy a Barney's.

Default Cabela's frame/pack

here is mine in action...spring brown bear
    Last edited by Jason in Anchorage; 02-14-2007 at 20:11.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default cabela's...

in action again...spring blackie...same trip
    Last edited by Jason in Anchorage; 02-14-2007 at 20:11.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default K-Mart tires on a Ferrarri?

Vance,

Save your money and get the Barney's bag. It's as far ahead of the Cabela's bag as Barney's frame is ahead of the Cabela's knock-off version.

My original Barney's pack is over fifteen years old and nothing on it has ever broken. I have packed literally thousands of pounds of meat in it over very rough terrain in that time. It was designed by an Alaskan for Alaska conditions. Most of the guides I know use them, and that says a lot.

Buy quality and buy it once.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

canoe, I bet if the old timers had a good pack they would be gigglin like school girls though. Comparing those times with the technology nowadays is like apples and oranges. Thats all they had. Our grandkids in 30years will think we are roughing it by the time there technology takes over.

Why go cheap, when you can save up a little longer and buy quality once and be done with it. Each to there own I guess. Oh and do you have a wooden packframe?

Default Okay, okay...

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    canoe, I bet if the old timers had a good pack they would be gigglin like school girls though. Comparing those times with the technology nowadays is like apples and oranges. Thats all they had. Our grandkids in 30years will think we are roughing it by the time there technology takes over.

Why go cheap, when you can save up a little longer and buy quality once and be done with it. Each to there own I guess. Oh and do you have a wooden packframe?
    Blink,

I had to laugh at your post... you are right of course. In the old days they made do with what they had. Sometimes I forget that people are on a tight budget. Thanks for the reminder!

I think what I would do in this situation is to forego the pack sack until you can afford to buy the Barney's bag. Just use the frame alone, and strap a waterproof day pack on it, to carry your essentials. The usual practice here is to hunt with your pack on at all times; the day pack gives you the ability to bring your stuff, but you still have the frame with you for packing meat and hides. I used to do this a long time ago, but had forgotten.

Okay, now a confession- I packed my first moose (and a black bear and possibly a caribou too) on a Coleman Peak One frame. You know, the plastic one that folds up under big loads? Yes, that one! I still have the frame for some reason, out there in the shed. I don't know why I keep it around, because I haven't used it in years. So... I know what it is to have a tight budget and to have to use what you have at hand..

Thanks for the reminder!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Michael, I probably could have worded it differently but I was just trying to say that noone hunts like the old days anymore. Its like a history lesson from school, or a B&G meeting when it is about subsistance. Technology is great when it comes to gear, might as well use the good stuff, or as good as you can afford.

I have a couple of cabellas packs upstairs, they work decently, but I wont buy another one. I'll save for a good one.

Oh well, each to there own, glad I gave you a chuckle.

Joel