Thread: Prop on little su

Default Prop on little su

Will a prop motor work on the little su without a tunnel?

Default More info needed

What kind of boat are you running? What part of the Little Su are you running?

We run props on the Little Su, but that's on freighter canoes with lifts to get over the shallow spots. I don't think you would want to run a prop without a lift or on something larger like a river boat, but others may be able to speak to that better.

Below burma theres only a couple shallow spots you got to watch out for. Above the launch there's several shallow rocky runs I'd say BAD, and clear up by houston I'd recommend not to run a prop, just IMHO. I ran a long shaft mud motor with a rock guard on it and it was VERY ABUSIVE to my equiptment. So I sold it to a duck hunter and run a small jet now and it's SOOOOOOOOOOOO nice after running the rock chopper
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

A 14-16 foot boat with a 25-40 hp jet would be perfect. I run a 14 foot 20 hp (at the nozzle) Johnson and it does the job (barely) even with three full grown men. With just 2 guys, it is pretty darn good. Can you run a prop? I used to and wrecked a bunch of them if that answers your question. It is a skinny river in a number of places. If you check CL often you will find some smaller jet pumps on occasion that are reasonable. I paid $1,200 bucks for a 1999 Johnson Jet in 2004. It needed a new impellor and sleeve, but other than that, it has run perfect.

Default Re: prop

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like a jet would workout better. Would a wooldridge ak II 18 or 20' be too big for the little su?

I think it would be pushing it...especially during days when the flow is low and clear. But, with that said, I have seen those down there during the king run. As the water gets lower and the chanel gets trickier, the less one sees of the big fellas cruising around. The honest truth is calling it a river is an overstatement in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaska View Post
    Thanks for the replys. Sounds like a jet would workout better. Would a wooldridge ak II 18 or 20' be too big for the little su?
    I've got the 20' AK II w/ a 140 Suz jet and it works great on this little stream. The lil su is not very wide or deep, and even though my boat is not big by river boat standards (if there really are any), I'd say that my boat is as big as I would want to go on a little stream such as this one. Those 16'-18' G3's with a 90 Yammy/jet (for example) are about perfect. A jet in my opinion is the only way to go. Just one less thing to worry about when running shallow water.
    Not to pick on other boaters, but- From my experience running these valley rivers for 18 years, it's when the Deshka is closed for fishing and the folks with the 20'-24' T-Jets, N-Rivers, Weldcrafts and whatnot's with the V-8 inboards hoard this little river, this is when the lil su gets hammered/dangerous and the smaller boats get thrown around. These bigger boats definitely have their place in Alaska rivers, don't get me wrong. But they are also typically the ones that get stuck more and when you come around a corner to see a hardtop inboard stuffing the tiny channel and sitting motionless while you're on step in 6 inches of water, it can get interesting. You'll also be able to get unstuck alot easier with the smaller boats. My .02... Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Valaska View Post

Will that size boat work in the lil su? Yeah, but not a safe choice. Its a narrow winding creek really. Lots of boats on it. you will need to operate a boat that big at pretty high speeds I think and you will be a hazard. That river is nuts when they close the deshka and all the big su boats come down to the little su.

if you want a little su boat, I dont think you need to go over 16 foot

I run a 17.5 Alaskan with a 115 Suzuki. I do run the Little Su a bit. I do not enjoy the runs down and up. Tight corners and you never know what is around them. A guy with a prop stuck in the channel is a hazard. So are people with stuck anchors with ropes all over the river. Too many close calls. I try to run on weekends if at all. The fishing is really either on or off and not that great when it is on.

Mike

16ft is ideal and anything bigger would just be a headache IMO. Jets do shine on that river. I tried the prop thing but didn't get far going up river. No motor lift though so couldn't tell you much about that setup. Light weight seems to be the key there encase you end up on the bottom.

So I don't mean to interrupt the conversation here, but I was given a 12' Achilles inflatable with an 18hp. outboard and I would like to use it this summer but I have very little knowledge about running Alaska's rivers in power boats. What are your feelings about what this setup is suitable for? Any recommendations for rivers to practice my boating skills on would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    BD

Not to pick on other boaters, but- From my experience running these valley rivers for 18 years, it's when the Deshka is closed for fishing and the folks with the 20'-24' T-Jets, N-Rivers, Weldcrafts and whatnot's with the V-8 inboards hoard this little river, this is when the lil su gets hammered/dangerous and the smaller boats get thrown around. These bigger boats definitely have their place in Alaska rivers, don't get me wrong. But they are also typically the ones that get stuck more and when you come around a corner to see a hardtop inboard stuffing the tiny channel and sitting motionless while you're on step in 6 inches of water, it can get interesting. You'll also be able to get unstuck alot easier with the smaller boats. My .02... Good luck...[/QUOTE]

I was with you right up till you said these bigger boats typically get stuck more. I have pulled more smaller boats off the sand bars then bigger ones. I agree on the fact that a 18' boat should be the limit on the little sue but only because of other boats and the dangers of colliding. The river it self wouldn't bother me any. I have a 21' T jet and I know I could run it from the landing to the mouth and not get stuck... as long as no other boats were around with 6" of water.