Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Lots of Eagles = No Trout??

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    151

    Default Lots of Eagles = No Trout??

    I have been noticing more and more half eaten trout on the banks of the Upper Kenai during winter. Nice sized trout too.... You think we are soon to run into a problem with the population of eagles out there? I assume most eagles take their catch and hide so I know these are just a select few of the fish that I see. I know they have hammered one of the lakes I used to fish in Kasilof. It's a private lake but a friend of mine lives on it. The larger bows go into a shallow creek every spring and he has witnessed eagles hanging in the trees picking the bows off constantly for the last few years. Theres hardly any decent fish in the lake anymore. I doubt there is a solution but I thought I'd see if anyone else had a similar story.

  2. #2
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    That is an interesting thought! I would like to hear what some of the fish and wildlife bios have to say about it
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  3. #3
    Member tjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    I wonder if some of the trout were already dead by the time the eagles got to them...perhaps from being mis-handled
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    maybe we should fence the waters so that wild animals don't interfer with the resource.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    I'm going to guess that the eagle's take is going to fall under Federal subsistence rules. Then it becomes an allocation issue and all you sport anglers are going to lose out.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  6. #6
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Hmmmmmm, maybe if we dump huge amounts of DDT into the river the problem will stop.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    maybe we should fence the waters so that wild animals don't interfer with the resource.
    Very funny Vince.... Sometimes I wish we could put wolves on zip lines too.

    My point is that the eagle population has exploded since the "homesteader" days. I don't think eagles have to many predators besides a lynx or yote once in a great while. Didn't they take eagles off the endangered species list a couple of years ago? I don't remember.... I just wanted to open some minds out there. They may be having more of an affect on the trout population than people think. I don't know, is anyone paying attention? It may be funny now but it could end up just like the moose population in some areas. SHUT DOWN until some of the predators are managed and the balance of both species is healthy again.

  8. #8
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnscd View Post
    Very funny Vince.... Sometimes I wish we could put wolves on zip lines too.

    My point is that the eagle population has exploded since the "homesteader" days. I don't think eagles have to many predators besides a lynx or yote once in a great while. Didn't they take eagles off the endangered species list a couple of years ago? I don't remember.... I just wanted to open some minds out there. They may be having more of an affect on the trout population than people think. I don't know, is anyone paying attention? It may be funny now but it could end up just like the moose population in some areas. SHUT DOWN until some of the predators are managed and the balance of both species is healthy again.

    you are, NOT GOING TO MANAGE EAGLE POPULATIONS!!!!!!!

    National Icon,

    protected under federal law

    happens to eat fish.. in fact you will loose your fishing rights LONG before they attempt to do ANY thing about the eagles... in fact they will prolly start a hatchery to keep feeding them alone when the trout are gone.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  9. #9
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you are, NOT GOING TO MANAGE EAGLE POPULATIONS!!!!!!!

    National Icon,

    protected under federal law

    happens to eat fish.. in fact you will loose your fishing rights LONG before they attempt to do ANY thing about the eagles... in fact they will prolly start a hatchery to keep feeding them alone when the trout are gone.
    There is nothing better than Bald Eagle stuffed with Spotted Owl and covered with a Whooping Crane demiglase!!!!

  10. #10
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Talking

    More 'n likely, one of the Cooper Landing eagles was visiting on of his buddies down in Homer. When the Homer eagle told him that the lady who feeds them stopped showing up and they had to start actually hunting for their own yappy dogs, the Cooper Landing eagle says, "hey, we got all kinds of stuff to eat up our way". So the Homer eagle comes up with a few buddies for some fishing. Word gets around and the next thing you know, every eagle from the Anchorage dump is lined up along the banks in Cooper Landing trying to get his "fair share" of the fish.

    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  11. #11
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    lol that sounds like some humans i know.....gotta get their fair share of fish before the other guy....i guess the troopers better start writin them birds tickets.



    Release Lake Trout

  12. #12
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    More 'n likely, one of the Cooper Landing eagles was visiting on of his buddies down in Homer. When the Homer eagle told him that the lady who feeds them stopped showing up and they had to start actually hunting for their own yappy dogs, the Cooper Landing eagle says, "hey, we got all kinds of stuff to eat up our way". So the Homer eagle comes up with a few buddies for some fishing. Word gets around and the next thing you know, every eagle from the Anchorage dump is lined up along the banks in Cooper Landing trying to get his "fair share" of the fish.


    you can see the two in Ninilchick while sitting on the tele poles.. whispering... and the ones in homer with their ear to the telephone wires trying to gleen information passed online.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  13. #13
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    The only population we need to manage is the HUMAN population. When the day comes that there's no longer enough "resource" to go around, it will not be the fault of the eagles or the wolves.

    Oops, was I not supposed to say that out loud?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla Alaska
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Earlier today I was all set to post one much like what I'm seeing here now. I refrained in an attempt to curtail my socially predachous nature. Guess I missed a chance huh.

    We really should keep this quiet for if the eagles get wind of it they may take up positions on the kenai during dipping season out of retaliation.

    After not believing any more whinning could come out of that group it looks like it might be possible yet. I can see it now Eagle takes fish away from poor, hungry, socially deprived, just trying to feed my family, dipper, who already has enough to worry about with the commercial fisherman
    Mike

  15. #15

    Default

    HMM, nothing worse than an ill-equipped fisherman that got skunked to place blame on a nature occurring instance of feeding themselves. Eagles are known to kill entire populations of fisheries, well before their human counterpart can take abuse, ruin and overuse a fishery in the name of subsistence. Funny how all this comes back to bite the so-called fisherman that is pouting because he didn’t get as many trout and/or other fish to fill his freezer. Now with spring will come the same fisherman, tossing freezer-burnt specimens’ of said fish into the waste containers to feed magpies and or ravens--thus cheating the wiley eagle out of his fair reward. Good lawd, what's this animal kingdom coming too??
    Last edited by Trapper_Rich; 01-18-2010 at 14:40. Reason: terrible spelling due to heat
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Story time’

    Me & my daughter walked in from Skilak Lake 4 to 5 years ago first week in March to do a little rainbow fishing on the middle river as dad received a new GL3 casting rod for Christmas itching to try it out, it was a beautiful day lots of sun,,, we were fish about 50 yards apart from one another when sissy hooks-up on a nice fat 13” bow as she was releasing it a huge Eagle came out of no were beating its wings against its chest in a stall just a few feet from her head ( It was loud) caught me so far off guard I froze, she dropped the fish in the water an ran, the eagle then landed in the water on top of the fish & floated with he’s wings out down river 50 to 60 ft talking $h!t not scared one bit, he managed to half fly half swim to the other side of the bank were he shard his lunch with his mate,, all the while sissy yelling bad eagle bad bad eagle. I was thankful he was after the fish. When they start eating our kids then we may want to thin a few.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you are, NOT GOING TO MANAGE EAGLE POPULATIONS!!!!!!!

    National Icon,

    protected under federal law

    happens to eat fish.. in fact you will loose your fishing rights LONG before they attempt to do ANY thing about the eagles... in fact they will prolly start a hatchery to keep feeding them alone when the trout are gone.

    The bad thing Vince is you are absolutley correct.... I already knew this and I think it's sad.....

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The only population we need to manage is the HUMAN population. When the day comes that there's no longer enough "resource" to go around, it will not be the fault of the eagles or the wolves.
    Wow..... Thats a pretty bold statement. I'm curious to know... What planet are you from?

  19. #19
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    My wife and I float the upper all the time and me year round. I see eagle with bows and dollies in their talons quite a bit. Have even seen the pluck a few punk ducks off the water too. I swear I head one of those ducks scream one day
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  20. #20
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The only population we need to manage is the HUMAN population. When the day comes that there's no longer enough "resource" to go around, it will not be the fault of the eagles or the wolves.

    Oops, was I not supposed to say that out loud?
    Humans certainly have an impact. Much of the time, it's likely the main impact...but it's not the only thing affecting fish and game populations...or anything else on the entire planet.

    Gulilty on some charges; yes, absolutely... but it's kind of frustrating to be a human and be blamed for everything "wrong" or "changing" in this world, when there is so much more in play than just "us".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •