Thread: Some bears are still out!

Default Some bears are still out!

I was out rabbit and predator hunting today. Me and a buddy rode our 4 wheelers back about 15 miles on a popular Matsu valley trail. One the way riding out I ran across a pretty fair sized grizz. It was standing on a small bluff about 120 yards away when I pulled up.

The only problem was that the only rifles I had with me where my 10/22 and T/C encore 22-250. I didn't even have my 10mm on me that I normally carry everywehre I go. Of all the days to forget it. I shortly debated trying to put a 50gr JSP behind the shoulder in the ribs, maybe it woudl take out the lungs, but decided against it.

I guess I better start throwing my 06 barrel in my pack from now on.

I really didn't expect any bears would be out right now, It was in the low 20s today and has been cold for the last few weeks. I guess it just goes to show that you just never know when a bear might turn up.

I'm kind of bummed because he would hav emake a really nice rug, his hide was perfect, but either way was still cool to see.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

easy winters like this.. bears get up and wander about.. he will soon bed back down in his den.. but as long as it stays warm... the boars will feed some during the winter...this is VERY common especially in the Mat-Su
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nice! I'd be out tracking him if I was you.

seems like a few years back one was out up near knik that guys were seeing his tracks...
    i've have shot him with what you had if it was me...a bunch of times..maybe right in his nugget too. that outa start some debate...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

There was a black and a brown spotted in Bicentennial Park (Anchorage)during a fur rondy sled dog race in February. The black even followed a couple groups of hikers around. ADF&G even armed up and went looking for it.

Last year I saw a lot of bear tracks and sign out in the middle of winter in the chugach above anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    seems like a few years back one was out up near knik that guys were seeing his tracks...
    i've have shot him with what you had if it was me...a bunch of times..maybe right in his nugget too. that outa start some debate...
    Shhh, I was thinking the same thing....

FWIW I saw bear tracks in Turnagain pass two weeks ago.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Same here on Admiralty, a bit warmer down this way though. I had to pull an entire line due to a bear eating my catch, busting boxes and cubbies and destroying every set. That was in December. After Christmas it warmed up and has stayed that way. I have seen 3 different bears in the past 2 weeks. Kinda sucks, its been warm and rain down here going on 2.5 weeks, and still highs in the middle to upper 30's. Making trapping a bit difficult to say the least. No snow and all my mink sets had to be moved due to changing water levels, now its dropping back down so I will have to move again.lol. If I didnt love trapping, I sure wouldnt be doing all the extra work.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

....I encountered some nice brownie tracks at the back of Bear Lake, here in Seward, last week....
    -not on the lake...-coming down the ridge, criss-crossing the trail-