Thread: cold weather shocks

Default cold weather shocks

so my new machine (10' rmk) already wore out the shocks in 350mi. They were ryde fx MVP shocks and after a couple weeks bled out im sure the thirty below riding doesn't help anyways no sense in getting them fixed they'll just do it again. so i was told the ryde fx gas shocks will last in the frigid cold any input on this or any other good extremely cold weather shocks? Thanks.

I'd probably look at Fox

If you are replacing then change over to Fox Shocks. The Air Foxs are great shocks, Fox Zero Pros are also real good, and the Fox Evols are making the go on the Snowcross circuit.

If looking at doing the skid shocks consider the Airwave system.

Cold weather riding should not make you shocks bleed down, no matter how cold it gets. Now they may have a stiffer ride when cold but nothing more.

The coldest I have rode in was 60 below zero. I rode over 100 miles at 25 below here a week ago and was pounding them hard on the river without an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    so my new machine (10' rmk) already wore out the shocks in 350mi. They were ryde fx MVP shocks and after a couple weeks bled out im sure the thirty below riding doesn't help anyways no sense in getting them fixed they'll just do it again. so i was told the ryde fx gas shocks will last in the frigid cold any input on this or any other good extremely cold weather shocks? Thanks.
    Ryde makes good models and mediocre models. The name Ryde doesn't assure you have good shocks or even rebuildable shocks. In any event I'd be looking at Polaris for warranty coverage since the sled is new. If they determine the shocks aren't suitable for your temps then they should replace them with shocks that are suitable. There are several excellent shock manufacturers in the market. You'd be smart to contact a suspension specialty shop that works on Polaris sleds for advice. You'll get better info that what you'll get here.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    Under warrantee, get free new shocks.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

thanks for the info, im going to call the dealer and see what can be done but i definately don't want the same kind of shocks that were on there. Ive talked to multiple people up here and they've had the same prob. with these shocks and just recommended getting a different kind.

my fox shocks on the '06 m7 wore out after 3 months of riding, gotta love it!

My stock non-rebuildables got over 5000 miles, 1000 miles of that not so easy miles to nome and still have plenty to go in them. If I only got 350 miles on new shocks I would definetly raise a stink with the dealer and manufacturer. If they didn't help out I would let everyone I know hear about thier bad customer service, ps. just not on these forums apparently. I would want to know if someone doesn't standby thier products.

Default 2010 rmk-600

Not sure what RMK you have, curious.. as it seems to be a manufacture defect.... Urggggggggg....I just got a 2010 RMK 600 and have bene having the same issue and thought I was nutz.. I am pretty sure my rear shock is gone and or not working properly.. Ohh, and the kicker is, I have 119 miles on the sled.. and no BSing, trashing, riding hard.. . all just driving leisurly, spotting bunnies and critters to hunt.. At first the shock just collapsed.. I figured it froze.. then it did it again.. so i adjusted the torsion spring to medium.. later, again.. so before I went this wekeend I adjusted it to Hard.. on the spring.. Same crap.. So it has to be the shock... I am going to HPP tomorrow and see whats up..

hoyt...curious to see what you found out. My sled is also a 2010 600 rmk 144". the front shocks are pretty much gone and the back seems to collapse like you are describing when you pick it up it seems to go ALL the way down. the front i can bottom out just by leaning to one side or the other.