Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 798 Remington

Default Model 798 Remington

Anyone have any reviews? I got screaming deal on one still have not been able to touch it yet. It's a.375 H&H, any problems I should be on the look out for?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Remington 798...

You know, of course, that they are a Zastava 98.
    Prior to their incarnation as the Remington 798, they were brought in by Charles Daly, and before that, they were the Interarms Mk X.
    Solid rifles, if a bit rough here and there, but every one of the half dozen of the Mk X's and Daly's I've had functioned without a hitch, and were accurate beyond what I expected out of a rifle at that price point.
    The only eyebrow raiser I had with the .375 rifle was that they didn't use a full length magnum action, and to get the length needed for the H&H round, they took the material out of the back of the bottom recoil lug in the action, and moved the front of the magazine box forward. They also didn't open up the distance between the front and rear bridge, so it took a bit of manipulation to load the thing. Had to push the bottom of the cartridge in first, the roll the round in. Couldn't do it really fast, but if four rounds of .375 won't do what you need, well,......Both of the ones I've had functioned just fine, and I never had an issue concerning strength of the action, just bothered me a bit that the bottom lug didn't have as much steel behind it.....
    I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pick one up, especially in .375, and more especially if it was at the "Super Friendly" price!

These are solid rifles at a good price- at least in all their prior incarnations. Same rifle- different importer. All the samples I've seen functioned well and one of the Daly actions was in a full up custom job a friend in TN had built up.

These are good rifles but slightly rough- they benefit greatly from some judicious gunsmithing and can really be turned into a fantastic rifle.

I had heard they had a reputation for splitting stocks in heavier calibers but the last one I handled was stocked in a generous piece of laminated wood. I simply can't imagine splitting that with anything shootable from the shoulder.

I'd certainly take one at a good price and never look back.

As others have said these are Zastava model 98's. They do have the inner ring cut on both sides unlike the originals but are other wise much like a military model 98 but drilled and tapped for a scope with turned down bolt handle.

I got a used one of the older ones imported by Interarms as the Mark X in 30-06. I would not hesitate to by the Remington inport if the price is right. Mine shots about 2" groups with the right factory loads or handloads, but the barrel is very pitted and I am sure a better condition barrel would do much better.

For the money I think the 798 is very hard to beat if yo want a CRF type action. I looked at them very hard before I got mine used.

Remington does not show them on there web page any more so I do not know if they still import them.

Does anyone have a picture of one of these? I have had several 788's but can not remember seeing a 798.

Cast Iron - I saw some 798's in the Midway catalog - they are just the barreled action but you get a pretty good picture of what they look like.

CDNN is blowing these rifles out at $499 each, including calibers .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag. The flyer I seen had them wearing laminate stocks and they were all blued steel. Thought about buying one for my son but heard a lot of negative press about fit and roughness so passed.
    Tennessee

Default Of the Bunch...

the Remington's had the 'crispest' lines on the metal. The Daly's and Mk X's seemed like they were over-buffed, with rounded lines that could've looked a lot better.
    The Remington laminated stock has perhaps the nicest lines, again, to my eyes, but the used ones I've seen needed to have the finish redone.
    As to the roughness, they'll wear in, or, you can spend a bit of time with fine stones and speed up the process.
    Wouldn't hesitate for a second if I could pick one up at a great price.

Just received another email about these and here are the prices:
    CDNN Sports, Inc.
    CALL 800-588-9500 TO ORDER TODAY!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    REMINGTON EUROPEAN MAUSER
    LIQUIDATION!
    ZASTAVA FACTORY, AMERICAN PRICE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remington 798 · 243 · 22" Barrel ·Brown Laminate Stock · New
    #REM89831 $389.99

Remington 798 · 30-06 · 22" Barrel ·Green Laminate Stock · New
    #REM89830G $399.99

Remington 798 · 30-06 · 22" barrel · Black Synthetic Stock ·New
    #REM89807 $329.99

Remington 798 · 308 · 22" Barrel · Green Laminate Stock · New
    #REM89832 $389.99

Remington 798 · 308 · 22" Barrel · Brown Laminate Stock · New
    #REM89832B $389.99

Remington 798 · 308· 22" Barrel · Walnut Stock · New
    #REM89843 $399.99

Remington 798 · 7mmRem Mag· 24" Barrel · Walnut Stock · New
    #REM89844 $399.99

Remington 798 Express ·375 H&H· 26" Barrel ·Deluxe Walnut Stock · New
    #REM89847 $599.99

Remington 798 Express · 375 H&H ·26" Barrel ·Green Laminate Stock · New
    #REM89826 $499.99

Remington 798 Express ·375H&H· 26" Barrel ·Brown Laminate Stock · New
    #REM89836 $499.99

Remington 798 Express · 458 Win Mag· 26" Barrel ·Brown Laminate Stock · New
    #REM89837 $499.99

Remington 798 Express · 458 Win Mag· 26" Barrel ·Green Laminate Stock · New
    #REM89827 $499.99

Remington 798 · 300Win Mag · 24" Barrel ·Walnut Stock ·New
    #REM89845 $399.99

Remington 799 ·22 Hornet · 20" Barrel ·Brown Laminate Stock · Mini Mauser Style · New
    #REM89852 $389.99

Remington 799 · 223 · 20" Barrel ·Brown Laminate Stock ·Mini Mauser Style New
    #REM89850 $389.99

Remington 799 ·792x39 · 20" Barrel ·Brown Laminate Stock ·Mini Mauser Style · New
    #REM89853 $389.99
    Tennessee

My Brother in Kentucky just pulled my 798 out of the box and is quite impressed. Some type of Duracoat and a Scope are next for it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I wonder where you could obtain warranty service for one, if needed?
    Tennessee

Default 798

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I wonder where you could obtain warranty service for one, if needed?
    I would ASSUME that Remington would provide service for these rifles with their name on it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

$18 for shipping, $500 for the .458 in the brown laminate stock, guess I'll be a guinea pig Rifle should be here some time next week.
    Cheers
    Tennessee

The one I shot in 375 had a laminate stock with strips of carbon fiber added for strength. It was a sweet shooting gun and looked nice.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I have to LH actions with the Chuck Daly label on them that I'll get around to having get built into something shootable one of these days. The biggest disappointment with the Remigton versions was they were never offered in LH.

EAA is the importer of Zastava guns and actions now and the last time I e-mailed them LH versions weren't even being considered.

Here's a distributor where they can be ordered from.

http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/catalogpg6.pdf
    Now what ?

Wow! The .458 came in today. Adjustable irons, pretty laminated stock with dual cross pins. Very nice bluing. Controlled round feed. For $520 this rifle is a steal, order one if you can.
    Now I have to find a use for mine as it is a righty and I'm a lefty, lol. If nothing else it will make a great trading stock

Seriously though, this has to be one of the best buys on the market today for the sell out price.
    Tennessee

Thanks to this board, I heard about the CDNN Rem 798 deal and ended up getting a 375 H&H. I've never had one in my hands before. I'm assuming they're not bedded. Has anyone bedded one of these? Just curious if they really need it out of the box.

The 458 I purchased is glass bedded from the factory. The recoil lug is bedded against a metal block inletted in the stock. It also has dual stock cross pins. Looks plenty sturdy to me for a stock rifle.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    The 458 I purchased is glass bedded from the factory. The recoil lug is bedded against a metal block inletted in the stock. It also has dual stock cross pins. Looks plenty sturdy to me for a stock rifle.
    Wow, didn't expect that. Good news.

Default Rem

I bought one of the Rem 799 in 223 laminate stock, have not shot it yet but am impressed with it. Came with a steel recoil lug in lamiated stock behind reg. recoil lug. Bedded in front of lug also, both bolt lugs bear evenly, (which is more than I can say for my new Ruger LH 7-08 Hawkeye with only one lug touching) trigger easily adjusted to 3#. Hope it shoots well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast