Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T/C Encore

Default T/C Encore

Hi, looking for a little help on what model Encore to get. We got drawn for a black powder deer hunt on Lanai. Also, we're going to spend a day hunting on private land, at which we can use high-power rifles.

I'm ready to buy a T/C Encore so I can accomodate both hunts with basically one firearm, inter-changeable barrels.

Thinking of going with a .50 cal black powder barrel and a 30-06 barrel.

Was on the T/C website and was a little confused about the different models; I'm wanting one that is stainless steel and synthetic stock.

Any help, comments, recommendations greatly appreciated!

I can't comment on the individual models, but I can certainly recommend your caliber choices. I have several hunting friends in Hawaii, and their three standard calibers are 06, 30-30 and 223. I don't know anything about Hawaii game laws, but I know the 223 is very popular for head shooting pigs and goats.

On the muzzleloading barrel, if you plan to hunt with it in Alaska's special primitive weapon seasons, be sure it has sights, even if you plan to mount a scope for Hawaii (again, check the legality of that). You can use a scope in the regular season if you hunt with the ML here in Alaska, but you have to use open sights in the special seasons.

Good choice of arms and strategies for your hunt!

Brown Bear, thanks for your comments; I'm completely new at this and need all the help, tips, advice I can get. Seems the '06 comes highly recommended (HomerDave and yourself I believe chimed in on this subject in the past).

I'll check on the scope situation.

The hunters I met on Molokai and Kauai were more or less split between the 06, 30-30 and 223, with most of the 223-users compartive youngsters and the 30 cals in the hands of older types who had been doing it all their lives. Probably not a lot of difference there than here in recent trends toward so called "black" guns. No big dif to me either way, but unless you're a varmint hunter I'm betting you'd get more use out of the 06 when you got back home.

One thing to clear up on the muzzleloading barrel. You'll hear a whole lot of balonie (actually a stronger word) about what will and won't work in inlines versus traditionals, difficulty and ease of cleaning, etc. I'll see if I can clear the air a little based on my actual hands-on experience rather than politics.

Number One- Find out what kind of black powder or substitute you'll have access to in Hawaii, and use that to develop your hunting and practice loads here beforehand. You WON'T be flying with powder and will be reliant on what's available once you arrive, so it makes sense to get acquainted and regulated with the same thing beforehand.

Number Two- Sabots, jacketed bullets and powder pellets get darned expensive, and you'll need to do lots of offhand shooting practice before the trip. You simply will not get a rested shot anywhere I saw hunting going on in Hawaii. It's going to be offhand or not at all, so you'll need to practice lots. Round balls and patches are waaaaaay cheaper (as in 1/5 the cost) of sabots and jacketed bullets, and loose powder is way cheaper than pellets. Do most of your practicing with them. I recommend something like a 60 grain charge of 3f, whether it's real black, Pyrodex P, Triple 7 or something else. In my experience inlines are terrifically accurate with round balls till you move up somewhere past 60 or 80 grains of powder. They'll also shoot 30 grains into one hole at 25 yards, making them ideal for small game head shooting, even with a 50. And that's going to give you the kind of offhand field practice that will do you the most good in Hawaii. You'll need to do some shooting with full power hunting loads too, but you can learn a whole lot of mechanics and shoot a lot more if you mix in a bunch of shooting with the cheaper stuff.

Number Three- Clean your gun after each use, and I don't care what the advertising says. Yeah, American Pioneer and Shockey's powders are cleaner, but it's just a good idea to keep that breech plug cleaned and lubed. Cleaning real black or Pyrodex is easy with water and a little soap, so don't let the marketing guru's scare you away from using it. Their only motive is sales of their own product.

Number Four- Come back online once you have the muzzleloading barrel any time you need advice. Getting going is a little more fiddly than simply buying a box of ammo for a centerfire, and advice will help. Once you get a load going, the work is over and shooting is pretty straight forward. And a whole lot cheaper than shooting a centerfire.

Palmer Ak

Default Encore

Jim don't know where your located but if your around the valley I have an Encore and a few barrels and know a few people that have them here. Mine is the original Encore ,I love it ,but some of the newer models have a few changes, like the swing hammer that gives clearance for cocking the hammer with a scope mounted. If your in the area and would like to try it out let me know.

I was just ordering some stuff and took a few moments to compare prices of round balls w/ patches with the range of prices for sabots.

A box of 100 Hornady .490 round balls was going for $9.80 and a bag of 100 prelubed .150 patches was $4.25. That works out to 14 cents a shot.

The cheapest sabots with bullets from this source were $10.72 for 30, or 36 cents each, and the highest were $20.86 for 15, or $1.39 each.

Call it anywhere from 3 to 10 times as expensive to shoot sabots.

Math on the loose powder versus pellets gets a little more sketchy, just because of the greater range of charge possibilities.

Pellets were listed at $21 per 100, or 21 cents a shot if you're only loading one for practice. Up to 63 cents for high powered hunting loads.

Loose powder was $14 a pound for Pyrodex P or 7,000 grains per can. Using 30 grain loads for practice and small game with round balls translates into 233 loads per can or 6 cents a shot. Full power 80 grain charges for large game gives you 87 shots per can or 16 cents a shot.

In a nutshell, using the cheapest sabots and only a single pellet costs you 57 cents a shot. The most expensive sabots plus three pellets runs you $2.02 per shot.

Shooting round balls and patches with 30 grain charges for practice costs you 20 cents a shot. Shooting full power loads for big game costs you 30 cents a shot.

That's just pure math, and it's up to you what you hunt with. But for practice and small game, 20 cents a shot is hard to beat. Cast your own balls like I do and cut your own patches, and you're down in the realm of the cost of some 22 rimfire ammo.

Don't consider this a sales pitch for one over the other. What I'm aiming at is encouraging you to practice lots, and point out that it doesn't have to be expensive.

Default Wow!

Thanks for the advice/tips! I live on Kauai (we have a place in Sterling) so I won't be able to take you guys up on visiting locally but thank you for the invite.
    Okay, so the math/ecomomics on shooting balls vs. sabots is pretty obvious, since I've never been down this road before, I'm assuming (or not) that the Encore will accomodate either?

My fishing buddy Mike (who invited me to go on the hunt) is pretty into guns, ammo, etc. I think he's got 30 or so rifles, most of which are of the not-so-common calibers and 2 or 3 muzzleloaders. He handloads all of his high power ammo and has hunted here his whole life.
    (He was born here when Hawaii was a territory!)

He would be the one who knows about turkey hunting so I'll ask and maybe get him to check out the forums.

Man, I can see this could be another expensive hobby (just add it to my infatuation with welding right now...)

Thanks again for all the help, I really do appreciate it. Any you guys wanna get over here and fish or whatever, yell.

Thanks, Jim

The Encore will do just fine with either, at least up to around 80 grains of powder behind the round ball. Groups will start to open up somewhere around that charge level, but it should be a tack driver below that.

Your bud sounds like the kind of friend to have!

First off, sounds like a cool hunt. I want to make it out that way sometime for a hunt. Second, an Encore in .50 and .30-06 sounds about perfect. IMO the Encore is the best muzzleloader going. Very easy to use even compared to other in-lines. As for the models, I think I may be able to elaborate a bit, focusing on stainless/synthetic. The Encore Endeavour is the top of the line model that Jim Shockey uses. It has all the features such as the recoil reducing rubber stock inserts, the T-handle on the ramrod, the quick removeable breech plug, the turn down extractor for easy breech plug removal, and the crooked hammer to avoid the scope. It also has a "stylized" receiver. The Pro Hunter is just a small step down from there and has most of the same features of the Endeavour. The plain Encore can still be had in stainless/synthetic, but does not have any of the features listed above. It is obviously cheaper, but won't be as "fancy." I believe all models can be had with open sights, and all are drilled for scope mounts. You can also get synthetic thumbhole stocks if you wish. Hopefully that helps clear up some of the confusion. Either that, or I just added to it.

That's a really useful comparison of the features of the various Encores! I've been so distracted with traditional guns lately that I haven't stayed on top of it.

One question on behalf of my creaky old eyes. Does TC or anyone else make a receiver sight suitable for the ML barrel on the Encore? I sure see and shoot better with a peep sight, and they're legal in our special hunts.

Hey Jim,

Not sure I can offer any additional advice to what has been said. One nice benefit to having a .30-06 barrel is it'll set you up well in the event you take a hunting trip to any other state, including Alaska.

My wife and I made a trip to Kauai in Dec. '08. I hunted for a few days along the NaPali Coast. Those goats are a blast Will be back in Dec. '10 to chase them again, can't wait! Gorgeous island ya got there.

Default T/C Encore

Jim, I have an Encore with a 50 cal muzzleloader barrel. It is the original Encore and is in stainless/synthetic. I just bought a Pro Hunter stainless barrel in .270. It is 28" compared to the regular Encore which is 26". A new forearm for the regular barrel was needed also. I had the idea of taking both barrels also and I am trying out the idea of using one scope for the multiple barrels. (I plan on more barrels) I have a Leupold QR(quick release) #52325 scope base on each barrel. On the scope I am using medium rings #49974. I had the muzzleloader sighted in and switched to the 270 barrel. It was off quite a ways but able to adjust the scope and sight in the 270. Not sure if it is worth the hassle but I also like the idea of taking off the scope for cleaning if I want to with the .50, among other options. Just one way to skin a cat!!! Good luck in Hawaii, I was there on vacation with my wife on another couple so I didn't get to go hunting on that trip, but did see a road killed hog-a whopper. Mark

I have a stainless Encore in 7mm Rem. mag and 50 cal. with synthetic stock. I like these guns. One thing to mention you will need a different fore end for the muzzle loader, and one for the rifle. A hammer extention can be added to the hammer on a Encore and it will work with scopes for left or right hand shooters. These are not expensive and work well. I have 3 inlines in my vault and none of them will shoot a round patched ball but will shoot sabots. This makes me wonder if I was trying to push the round ball to fast, As best as I can remember about 90 grains is the least charge I have tried with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I have a stainless Encore in 7mm Rem. mag and 50 cal. with synthetic stock. I like these guns. One thing to mention you will need a different fore end for the muzzle loader, and one for the rifle. A hammer extention can be added to the hammer on a Encore and it will work with scopes for left or right hand shooters. These are not expensive and work well. I have 3 inlines in my vault and none of them will shoot a round patched ball but will shoot sabots. This makes me wonder if I was trying to push the round ball to fast, As best as I can remember about 90 grains is the least charge I have tried with them.
    With inlines (assuming 1:24" or 1:28" twist barrel) and round balls, you were likely pushing them with too much powder at 90 grains. Try starting out at 50 grains or so and slowly working up.

I agree that 90 was probably too much. By the time I hit 80 or so, groups really start opening up.

But the lower you go below that, the tighter they shoot, too. At 50-60 grains you've got a tack driver in any I've tried. I use my 54 cal Knight all the time with 30 grains of 3f as a head musher for snowshoe hares. It cuts a ragged hole at 25 yards with that load and not much bigger at 50 yards. Talk about an ideal small game load! And cheap practice too, whether at 30 or 60 grains of 3f. 30 grains translates into 233 shots and 60 grains is 116 shots per can of powder. Collecting mindless snowshoe hares adds up to a bunch of field shooting with my muzzleloaders, and it's sure a lot more fun than trips to the range.

Default Hmmmmmmm...

Sheesh, learning as we go! Really getting exciting now! Okay, I know it's another question but since the thread is going so well, gonna stay with it: relating to the '06 and 7mm mag options, which would be a more "go to" round or are they similar (to a guy who's never shot any 4 legged animals)? Bullet weights similar over the counter? Not wanting to start a whole new thread here, just basics for a guy like me (a forum member has a 7mm barrel they might let go, so just trying to get informed).
    Thanks, Jim

I've got both, and much as I love my 7 mag and use it more than the 06, the 06 is the more versatile round in terms of available bullet weights and wider distribution of ammo. Part of my own use of the 7 over the 06 is the fact of life about where I hunt and the fact that I have a deep gun rack. The 7 is, in my experience, the better of the two as a long range round. I'm not saying that the 06 won't reach out there and tag them, but that I just like the way it does so better than the 06. And I'm talking over 400 yards here.

Closer than that the 7 will work just fine, but so will a whole bunch of other stuff that also happens to be in my rack. Basically when I'm doing average hunting, I've got a lot to pick from and I move among them. But when there's the chance for really long shots, the 7 is about my favorite.

For all-around use, and especially for a guy just starting out, I feel like you'd be better served by the 06. Now I just have to go make up with my favorite 7 for being so disloyal by saying such a thing. ;-)

Not sure the cost of new barrels and a lot depends on whether or not I can get my buddy's brother to let go of his Encore, but that 7mm may be the better buy for me, although hey, why not just get more guns/barrels in the future???

I think I get the gist of what BrownBear's saying; no such thing as too many guns!

Anyone know what the biggest/heaviest caliber Encore offers in barrels?

Gotta go by KPD to get my yearly firearms permit today as it takes 2 weeks to get everything cleared.

Thanks again for all the help guys, this is fun!

Default Encore

416 rigby factory barrel
    416 remmag or 416 rigby custom shop
    cal. chooses are many for the encore.

Big Jim what are your future hunting plans. I would look at what I might want to hunt in the future before picking out a caliber for this hunt. I have several guns in different calibers, but the 7mm Rem. Mag leaves the house with me over 90% of the time. I have a Lepould 3.5X10X50mm with Boone and Crockett recticle and leupold rings and bases on it. It has served me well over the past few years. I hunt several places that a shot of 400 yards is not uncommon. If I was not planning on having a chance at a shot at this disstance I would be just as happy with several other calibers and the 30-06 would be one of them.

I am by know means saying that the 7mm Mag is the only caliber that will shoot this far. What I am saying is it is the one that I have shot and practiced with enough to feel comfortable taking a shot at that distance.

There is some mighty fine calibers offered for the Encore riffle. Would it not be nice to have at least one of each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast