Thread: 22-250 Problems

Default 22-250 Problems

I have a Remington ADL 22-250. I had a gunsmisth cut the barrel down to 16 inches and make it into a ultra light carbine. I shot it for the first time today. I was shooting Remington 50 gr JHP I was getting just over 1in groups at 100 yards.

Next I shot Winchester Supream 55gr balistic tips. they didnt ever get on the paper. I found their exit holes and it looks like the bullet was hitting sideways or tumbling.

I'm assuming I wont be able to shoot anything over 55 grs out of this gun because of the 16 in barrel. I dont know the twist rate. I'm going to start handloading. Would a 40 or 45gr shoot better?

Any advice would be great.

Barrel length shouldn't effect bullet stabilization. I would beet you have a bur in your crown, it can cause bullets to tumble.

Why such a short barrel on a 22/250? Seems a 223 would be a better candidate for a short barreled carbine.

Speed will affect stabilization, as you won't get the same RPM's at a lower speed. So, if 55's were right on the bubble, shortening the barrel could have caused enough decrease in speed to make them not stabilize. That's what I'd suspect if you were getting round holes with the 50's, and it'd be hard to shoot a 1" group otherwise.

I'd start reloading with 50's if it were me.

You lost velocity and that means the bullet is not doing as many rpms. The bullet is not stabalizing. that is going to get worse as the bullet weight goes up. You have a gun that has slower twist rifling. Thats why the M16 went to a 1:7 twist from 1:12 when they went to the .62grn bullet. the previous bullet was 55grns.

Whacking off the barrel of a rifle / cartridge combo that relies on velocity,,,is like putting coveralls on a Playboy model. You toss out all the obvious advantages.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

As much as I like that analogy... I'd just pick a bullet that works go on shooting stuff.

You lose a little BC between say the 50 Vmax and 55 Vmax, but not much. (not really a fair comparison, as they are different designs). You wouldn't have been able to stabilize anything much heavier than that with a 26" 1-14 twist barrel anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Whacking off the barrel of a rifle / cartridge combo that relies on velocity,,,is like putting coveralls on a Playboy model. You toss out all the obvious advantages.
    Beautiful mental image....note to self: Keep barrel as long as possible!

Post what he said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have a ruger 22-250 that only likes 1 bullet..40 gr vmax....(4050 fps at 20 feet! )I went out a got an box of EVERYthing i could fine.....shot'em and the smallest group won ,then sold the rest off on tradie'o......that was AFTER I sent the m-77 to ruger cause i thought some thing was wrong .....they sent it back ,having changed the front screw in the reciver/that holds it to the stock ..and stated that they shot a 2 3/4 shot group at 25 yds on there bench w/ fed 55 gr sp rounds......oh boy <3 inch groups with a 22-250
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by cwh View Post
    As much as I like that analogy... I'd just pick a bullet that works go on shooting stuff.

You lose a little BC between say the 50 Vmax and 55 Vmax, but not much. (not really a fair comparison, as they are different designs). You wouldn't have been able to stabilize anything much heavier than that with a 26" 1-14 twist barrel anyway.
    I think sometimes bearing surface can have an effect when twist is marginal too.

In 222 Rem., 1-14" twist, 55 grain Sierra, the Flat Base bullets weren't great, but the BTs usually weren't even on the target at 100 yards. Bullets were the same length, and weight, but one had a BT and so a shorter bearing surface.

That's what I attributed it too, anyways. I didn't see any other possibilities. ???

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.