Thread: Kodiak

Default Kodiak

looking for suggestions on fishing charters out of Kodiak

Default community website

Try http://www.kodiak.org and navigate your way through to fishing charters. There are plenty of them. Although they all easily reach excellent fishing grounds, they are not created equal.

Buyer beware. Ask for references and check them out. Most are fine, but I've heard customer complaints about some of them.

There already is a thread going that lists some specific references.

Feel free to contact me for suggestions if you desire more information...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Here's a link that'll jump you right to the listing since the site isn't the best to search sometimes.

http://www.kodiak.org/component/sobi2/?catid=48

Definitely check them out. Before I got my boat, I went out on a few, and most were fun and good captn's. A couple weren't. It's possible the bad ones may have changed their attitudes, but I can tell you that first hand I'd recommend Runnamuck, Chazman, and Kodiak Island Charters. There are others that I'm sure are great because I know the Captains, but I've never gone out with them. There are two for sure that I would avoid (one isn't listed on the website ), but I won't post their names for various reasons.

Make sure you can tell them specifically what you want to target and what kind of fishing experience you want. That can make a big difference in which one you choose. Good luck!! Kodiak fishing is a blast and a beautiful experience.

Default Good Advice!

Well said.

I enjoy the benefits of Kodiak immensely, and I've met my share of fine skippers. Checking anyone out is always advised, and the best references come from prior customers.

I've witnessed vistors who have not taken the advice of their land-based rental hosts and have returned home greatly dissapointed.

Kodiak is not mainland AK and word gets around fast of the have and have-nots. Times change, and so do services. Research counts in this one...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Looking into this myself for a Sept trip. Chaz & Runamuck keep coming up from those I have spoken to as good choices. Also John Parker with KingBusters has been suggested.
    Prices seemed to be from $250-300, does that seem correct to those who have fished Kodiak before? Usually don't look for the cheapest, but want a value trip with a knowledgeable captain that will work hard.

Those prices aren't abnormal. A few years back I paid around $200 a day, but keep in mind that today's price of gas here in Kodiak is $3.55/gal. Consequently, charter overhead costs have gone up.

Default Stay with pros

From observation as a fellow mariner, I'm a commercial fisherman walking past some of these guys everyday in the harbor,etc. I would say stick with the Professionals. The boat they operate and how clean and dialed in it seems to even the untrained eye means a lot as well as attitude.

Don't spend your money for a day with someone whining about fish politics all day, nobody will enjoy that.

I would say Chazman is way tops on the list of the guys I see day in and day out, very nice vessel, just put in a new engine last year, boat is immaculately clean always, you'll see what i'm talking about on attitude and excellence the minute you see him or his boat. Tight operation and Cool guy to hang with all day.

His customers are always hanging out around the boat as he cleans up just to tell stories a little while longer and it seems they are always smiling and laughing with him.

I don't know this guy either other than "how's it goin'" on the dock

There's one other guy, can't remember the name but he has a big wide catamaran rig that is very well cared for and he is always upbeat and cool to hang with. Might be a better boat if you anticipate seasickness issues, wider and more stable probably.

Chaz is a Good Fisherman as well, I can tell from a distance

Default Kodiak Fishing

We normally go to Homer to fish, been doing that trip for the past 16yrs, but the wives have always wanted to go to Kodiak so we will be driving down from North Pole and taking the Ferry. We are going to do some fishing and bear viewing. The B&B we are staying at recommended Chazman Charters. We are using Sea Hawk air for our Bear viewing, I used Roland for a Goat hunt a couple years ago and really like him. So any first hand suggestions would be great

Lightbulb

I would suggest getting a hold of Alaska Premier Sportfishing, in Homer. He has his boat closer to Kodiak all summer. You would need a float plane to get there, but the fishing is awesome. He might have avalibility! Live aboard fishing all inclusive except license, booze, flight service, very reasonable!

Default Ultimate Island Adventures

I've fished with Cap. Sean the last three years and have nothing but good times and many, many fish to show for it. He also has ATV's which is great if it gets blown out on the water. As a matter of fact I would suggest a trip to the Saltry no matter who you decide on. Jeff

Yes, Shawn Gornall at Ultimate Island Adventures is a real stand up guy. I've never been out fishing with him, but I was stationed with him here in Kodiak. He loves the outdoors, and I'm sure he does all he can for his clients. I'm sure he'd be an excellent choice for a charter.