Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1.00 a pound

Default $1.00 a pound

Going to be going fishing and was told the packing and freezing was a dollar a pound. Thought that seemed high. Anyone know of better pricing than that?

I don't know what kind of volume you are talking, but my wife and 2 kids and I used the facilities at our cabin. We cut and vac packed ourselves and used his blast freezer. Cost us .25 cents per bag is all.

catch fewer fish...

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Going to be going fishing and was told the packing and freezing was a dollar a pound. Thought that seemed high. Anyone know of better pricing than that?
    That's about right. It's well worth the $1 a pound to have fresh fish professionally vacuum packed. Way better than what you get from using a food saver, IMO..

If you think about it, if you get 200lbs of fillets, it'll only cost you $200 to have some of the best fish to eat for the next year.

Just to help you feel better about the dollar a pound search the forum for the numerous post about the people who are unhappy with the processors.(fish stealing and different cuts) I bought a real nice Vacuum processor and do it myself.

Six of us went to Alaska fishing in July, 2006. We caught several fish including at least three species of salmon, ling cod, and halibut. We had them cleaned and packaged at Ed's Kasilof Seafoods in Soldotna. I still have a couple packs of halibut and salmon left. I have been saving a few packs and enjoying them over time. The last pack I eat was about three months ago and they were as good as they were when we caught them. I do not remember what it cost to have them packaged but it was worth every penny. I have two different vaccum packers at home that I package fish and meat in them and they will not keep food edible near this long. I wish I had enough of that fish to fill a new chest freezer with. It was some mighty good eating.

Default Homer

Obviously we are traveling and won't have a way to do it ourselves. I don't know how many commerial businesses there are in Homer. Is there any recommendations of one operation over another.

Per forum rules if you know of any bad ones please PM me with that info.

thanks for the help

Coal point in Homer is outstanding! We got back what we brought in and they did a great job!

A group of six of us went out of Seward last year and ended up with 360 pounds of halibut, ling cod, rockfish, and yellow eye. One of the guys in the group took it all to a place over on International here in Anchorage to have processed and vacuum sealed. It was the first time I've ever taken fish anywhere, but it may not be the last. I was very impressed with the quality of seal, but more importantly, the quality of the bag material. Much thicker, heavier duty than than the bags I usually get at Sams Club. We split it six ways, so it ended up costing me about $50 to get done (I think it was about 90 cents per pound). Well worth it.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

A couple of years ago I fished with Big Bear Halibut, Homer. They did a great job of cutting the fish up and getting it ready to go. My wife goes on and on about how good the Halibut is. The very few packs we have left look as good as when we first got them. They are located on the spit. I have no idea what they charge for walk ins.

If you've got time and $ (did I mention $?), there's a place called Smoked Alaska in Wasilla. The owner is really nice and gave me some wonderful samples of his product. He adds spices, smokes the fish and then puts them into "retorts" like MREs.

If you will be in Seward go to the Army or Air-force camps they both have very nice facilities. I think they charge $5.00 to use them, they charge ten cents per bag,and have real nice commercial vac sealers and also have freezers..
    When we are in Homer we just wrap all of our fish in cling wrap cellophane and get them in a freezer, Then when we get back to Anchorage we take them to Glens meats and he vac seals em for us, nice guy and does a great job, he will even deliver them to the airport for you day or night... Some times we just take em home and seal them ourselves..
    The cling wrap+vac bag seems to keep for alot longer, If the bag looses its seal then you have the cling wrap to back it up..

How bout this? I'll do it for .99 cents /lb. Of course there IS a .01 cent /lb cleaning fee.

Nah but seriously, buy a cheap vacuum packer, its definitely a good investment. 1.00 does seem a bit high, not really sure. I've always fillet and packed mine myself.

Default Think about it

You buy a vacuum sealer up here to do it yourself $, then buy a bunch bags that are not cheap to buy, $. Then spend half your trip baggin fish! My time is not worth it. So we just dump it off at coal point! They are over a $1 a pound though! You could go cheap and just have it sealed, $.85, or do the smart thing and pay $1.15 or whatever it is get it flash froze too. GET IT SKINNED TOO! When halibut turns yellow, that is the urine coming out of the skin into the meat!!! Trying to freeze a load of fish is not easy. Try and do it yourself, you'll be disapointed! I have a vacuum sealer, and pay to have my fish done! Doing a couple salmon is different, will do that myself. But a load of halibut or something, NO WAY!!

My wife and I taken fish to two places in Alaska. When we fished the Kenai, Kasilof, & ocean at Deep Creek we used CUSTOM PROCESSING in Soldotna. When we fished the ocean out of Seward we used J DOCK. Both did a great job of vacuum packing and freezing. I had others tell me the other processor in Seward (on the docks) was better. Average price was between $0.85 to $1.15 per pound depending on how much the processor has to do.
    This year we will be back to do more sightseeing, but especially do some fishing. Plan to use CUSTOM again. The last week we will be in Cooper Landing. Not sure if there is a fish processing place there or not (does anyone know of one??). If not, we will definitely be taking it the 45 miles back to CUSTOM.

Default the going price

That is the going price for custom fileting and vacumn packing here in Kodiak

I always do my own but one thing is worth mentioning, those fileters are Really good at it, they do it twelve plus hours a day and I am pretty sure they do a better job, more meat per fish, than I can.
    I know of a few locals who are long term fisherman who always take their fish to the local place, Island Seafoods, mostly for the quality filet job and the packing is top notch also.
    If I was on a limited time vacation, pretty good use of dollars vs. DIY I think.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Echo lake meat

For the last 6 years I have been using Echo Lake Meat packing on K-beach road. I have had them do up to 1400 lbs of fish for myself and friends, when 10 of us get our fish we are all satisfied with the quality of the finished product. If you skin and chunk the fish first it is a little cheaper. Do as much prep work as you know how to do. Reds cut to size and put in plastic bags, Halibut skin and chunk to the size you want, Kings, Filet and chunk to the size you want. Think about how many times you will be using a full side of filet, if you are only cooking for two, chunk the fish in smaller packages. Kings, do you want steak cuts or filets A little work will save you some money, always keep your fish clean and cold. In June this year we had them do some Halibut, and it is great again, this year they will be selling styrofoam lined boxes, they cost a little more but they will keep your fish frozen hard for 2 to 3 days.
    Have Fun Gerberman

Default Well worth it

I did my dipnett fish last year with a foodsaver. Too most of the evening and did a good job - LOTS OF WORK! Moved them around in the freezer a couple times this winter and lost close to 30% of the fillets due to freezerburn. I took 94lbs of fillets to the custom shop this year. Well worth the money! The bags are much thicker and the fillets were flash frozen flat. Stacked in the freezer like cord wood! I have a good feeling that I wont loose as much this year.

Default Processing Fish and Freezer Space

When you clean your fish just head and gut them and freeze them whole. The skin is a nature barrier for the freezer burning. I finished last years fish off a few weeks ago. When I finished flaying the fish out I lost about a 1/2 inch on either end. The rest of the fish was fine. The only problem is that they take up a little more space in your freezer but the price is right for processing.

We use a store bought vac packer. OK results.
    Can a guy buy better quality/commercial vac. packers? Would seem so. Where do you get them?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I bought mine at Alaska Butcher Supply in Anchorage located on Mt. View Dr.
    www.alaskabutcherequip.com/

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    We use a store bought vac packer. OK results.
    Can a guy buy better quality/commercial vac. packers? Would seem so. Where do you get them?
    I'll 2nd Dean's suggestion of ABS. My brother, father, and I went in together on a commercial grade sealer. The up-front cost was steep, but the bags are much cheaper than Foodsaver bags and much higher quality. It'll more than pay for itself over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast