Thread: Who carries BIG BORE AR's afield???

Question Who carries BIG BORE AR's afield???

Whether it be the .50 Beowulf, Socom, you name it, who carries these big bore AR's afield for bear protection and large game up close? Accuracy? Dependability in field conditions, rain, snow, freezing temps? How does it stack up against a Marlin Guide Gun or the Copilot? I have a Bushmaster .223 that would be prime for conversion. Thanks!

Good post. I haven't searched it, and don't intend to, but I was wondering about that the other day. I've been interested in buying a .450 bushmaster upper for my bushmaster AR-M4. The round seems like it should be able to compete with .450 marlin, or most loads for 45-70. I am sure that you could handload some really hot stuff for the .450 bushmaster too. As far as I know the only company making ammo for it is Hornady. I'm not even sure if there are dies available for it. Bushmaster claims that the round will bring down any game animal in North America. I realize that a .22 will take down anything in North America given the right circumstances...... I'd like to hear how it does on moose, and big bear.

I got a 50 beowolf last year and have yet to shoot it. No one locally carries ammuntion for it. If you get one of these big bore AR's, I would recommend looking into ammo availability first. I have seen the 450 bushmaster ammo on store shelves.

Ballistically, my 457 wild west magnum copilot is in a different league that the AR rounds can't even come close to approaching.

This was discussed about a year ago in this thread...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...626#post424626
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Awesome info!! Thanks! I was just thinking a lever gun can be downloaded way down for small game. Ditto on the AR elephant gun....