Thread: Phantom Sport Jon - Wheel Kit Question

Default Phantom Sport Jon - Wheel Kit Question

Has the Phantom Sport Jon's always had a wheel kit option or did it begin with a specific year? If its a new option, can older boats be modified to use the kit? The question came up today and I have not found any specific information one way or the other in the forums.

Thanks in advance.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I don't know when the Phantom's started with them but any boat can be modified to take a wheel kit....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I have the wheel kit. I would rate it as fair. If you're stuck in fine gravel or muck, they tend to sink down in it. However the swimdeck jack is a life saver. I would'nt own a boat of this type without it. I carry about six pieces of 4 to six foot plastic drain pipe. Simply jack up the boat and slide the pipe crossways underneath the keel. Lower and push the boat any direction you like, including sideways. Repeat as necessary.

Default Thanks for your post..

Question though; is the swim deck jack only available from Phantom or is it available elsewhere? I've been looking around the net and have yet to find a jack that size/shape. If possible, I'd prefer to buy one locally.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Question though; is the swim deck jack only available from Phantom or is it available elsewhere? I've been looking around the net and have yet to find a jack that size/shape. If possible, I'd prefer to buy one locally.
    I don't know if there is a kit available but it would be a very simple job for a welding shop to make for you. You can purchase a trailer jack and take it to the welding shop and have them weld a bracket onto your swim deck to pin it in. Heck, if you wanted to do it really cheap just bolt the thing onto your deck. Just make sure your deck is strong enough to lift the boat, I know the deck on my last boat wasn't up to the task...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I have a 2007 Phantom Sport Jon so I don't expect the rear deck to need support but its best to check. I'll call Phantom tomorrow and see what they say.

I considered this for my SportJon, but instead opted for the old reliable HandyMan Jack. I found in past experiences it's nice to be able to jack up the rear, place logs, etc underneath then roll the boat forward with the jack still lifting the rear end...letting it fall over with the boat. With the permanently mounted jack, you would have to place the logs, etc, let the jack down then try to move the boat to not damage the jack/mount.

Also found that sometimes you need to jack up the front to get logs/etc underneath and the handyman can be used on the front as well...

I bought a mount for my handyman so that it's stored on the gunnel out of the way.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dimrod View Post
    I have the wheel kit. I would rate it as fair. If you're stuck in fine gravel or muck, they tend to sink down in it. However the swimdeck jack is a life saver. I would'nt own a boat of this type without it. I carry about six pieces of 4 to six foot plastic drain pipe. Simply jack up the boat and slide the pipe crossways underneath the keel. Lower and push the boat any direction you like, including sideways. Repeat as necessary.

PVC Pipe works wonders. Cheap and light weight too.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Karolds Welding & Fabrication in Fairbanks builds and installs the wheel kits.

Where can I get schedule 80 3or4" pvc pipe(in Alaska)? my boat is to heavy for sched 40.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Where can I get schedule 80 3or4" pvc pipe(in Alaska)?
    Any plumbing supply store should carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Any plumbing supply store should carry it.
    Schedule 40 is easy to come by...schedule 80 not so much. I had to order it.

Default still looking

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    Schedule 40 is easy to come by...schedule 80 not so much. I had to order it.
    Who did you order it with?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I was told Ferguson could order it but have not talked to them yet so I can't comment on prices, minimum orders, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I was told Ferguson could order it but have not talked to them yet so I can't comment on prices, minimum orders, etc.
    Yes, Ferguson.

Default Jack

I have an 04' Phantom with the wheel kit. I would rate the wheel kit as useless unless you are on a very hard surface. I just take a highlift jack along and jack up the rear of the boat and let it fall forward.