Thread: Old High Standard is a Beauty

Default Old High Standard is a Beauty

My wife's Grandpa (89 yr WWII vet, former, gunsmith, etc.)hands me one of his old Target Pistols, says try this...

Never heard of High Standard 'Supermatic' so in my ignorance I think cheap, old... Have an hour of daylight left so in wind and rain I rush out to the range and running Rem Golden's (cheap brick stuff) thru it I fire through 140 rounds and MAN that thing is a SHOOTER. Amazing accuracy @ 10 and 25 yds

So I jump online and find a High Standard compared to Beretta's Best in an old gun mag review. So much to learn...

I wonder if anyone can help me id this model, all it has is "Supermatic" on the side New Haven Conn, and the serial no. 349528. It is probably thirty years old maybe more.

Any ideas what I should try shooting with, I ran down and bought what we had in town here, Ely Target Rifle, CCI Pistol Match, and Federal Gold Medal Target to try.

Also can someone give me advice on how the Barrel Weight (not sure what it is called) is used? two screws on bottom and apparently slides in or out underneath the barrel. It is closest to the breech now but has screw marks from being tightened down out at the muzzle end. How does that work?

Thanks, exciting being surprised by Grandpa Ross again, this is one nice handgun

In its day the High Standards were some of the best built pistols out there

There were several different Supermatic models. I have a Citation. My dad and a friend of mine each have a Victor with the barrel weights. There was also a Trophy and a Olympic model, as well. They are all wickedly accurate and well made .22's.

Here's my Citation with my Smith 41:

As far as ammo is concerned, try a bunch of different brands/styles. Don't overlook the "cheap" stuff, as some of it is surprisingly accurate. CCI Blasers have impressed me on more than one occasion with its good accuracy in my various rimfires. CCI SGB's are another good choice that doesn't cost as much as many of the "match" varieties.

Back in the 70's the High Standard was in the top few 22 cal. pistols. My guess is that gun may have been produced a few years before then. I took my first full time job in 1976 at 18 years of age. Before this time some friends and myself were hunting, fishing, trapping, calling, after school year round and the High Standard auto and double nine were by our sides quite a lot. We could not afford the Smith, Colt, or Brownings that were out at that time. I also can not remember any of us having a new High Standard. All our pistols were used but I can not remember any of us having any problems with any of them. Those pistols were responsible for the main course for many of our meals back then too. A few years later we all bought Rugger mark I pistols because we had jobs and could afford them at this time. I still have my first Rugger Mark I with a 6 7/8 inch barell. Times change and we went to the Ruggers because they were new, not because the High Standard was not a well made gun. Thanks for bringing back some good old memories!

Default The barrel weights

are for adjusting the gun's balance to suit the shooter. usually, some muzzle heaviness adds to the steadiness of the gun, so the weights were set further towards the muzzle for that reason.

Default Barrel weight adjust

So on barrel weight adjust, do you just move it out a bit at a time and fire a few rounds then adjust more to feel it out I suppose? Or should it be something you feel just aiming it?

Asking if it is a recoil related to help steady coming back down after firing?

Can you tell I'm a novice? Not sure you call it recoil but I'm thinking of when the barrel comes up off target after firing and you are settling in for the next shot

Or is the weight something you feel out just holding steady on a target?

Thanks for advice, shot it a bunch today also, my son loves that pistol more than his new T-Bolt Browning rifle, figures, eh?

The weight is just for what feels best to you while aiming.

My 1967 106 Model is a tack driver. I just had it redone by the 90 year old former head gunsmith at High Standard.

I only use std veloctiy ammo

Default redone details?

Do you mind if I ask what that cost and how you found that old gunsmith, on High Standard website or something? Have an address or phone # ?

This one has just been lent to me but it is well used and could use a rebluing at least, functions real well with a minor feeding problem now and then. Thinking it may be clip wearing out, spring is weak or something?
    Maybe I can find a replacement clip somewhere, any ideas?

I'll post a pic sometime when I figure out how but on Gunbroker it looks most like a supermatic target auto S-101

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Brownells has some High Standard magazines:

Link

This pistol was made between 1951-53 according to the sieral number range..

I would try to keep the round count down in that beauty and as Wild states, use std vel ammo in her. Check with someone who is High Standard collector savvy to see if a new blue will be beneficial or detrimental to the value of it.

There's a few sites that breakdown all the models, some are rare, and provide good info.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what that cost and how you found that old gunsmith, on High Standard website or something? Have an address or phone # ?

This one has just been lent to me but it is well used and could use a rebluing at least, functions real well with a minor feeding problem now and then. Thinking it may be clip wearing out, spring is weak or something?

I'll post a pic sometime when I figure out how but on Gunbroker it looks most like a supermatic target auto S-101
    Bob Shea, 381 Quinnipiac Avenue, North Haven, CT 06473. Tel: 203-239-1012. Mr Shea is the HS go to person.

Recommend standard velocity ammo.

If you take the grips off, you will probably lose the little latch spring that lives under the grip into the shag carpet.
    I have not had much luck with after market magazines or the new "High Standard Company" made mags. Bob can get mags working though. Ask him about magazines.

Hope that helps.