Thread: Placer Area

Default Placer Area

I have read that the Placer area is open! Is there a specific area to ride or do you just unload on the Seward Hwy and try to find a place????

Yesterday the only place to park was at the pullouts by the bottom of the pass. The snow was VERY deep back towards the glacier. We were the first in very far. Lots of people stuck on the way back out. Only got 37 miles on my tank of gas.....Great ride.

We stopped at Ingram Creek on Saturday and there was a lot of snow. Has it settled down any to where they are starting to pack down some trails? I saw a post on Snowest where Alaska Safari has been breaking some trails.

They might have been putting in trail somewhere but we didn't see anyone all day way back in. We were on the right side of the valley heading in and that is usually where the trail is. Way back in the snow was bottomless. There is a fairly hard layer about 2 feet down...good riding unitl you break through. As long as you have a long track and like full throttle you should be good to go. I would also imagine that more people would have followed our tracks and packed the trail down.

A good destination in the Placer area is the Skookum glacier. If you look at a topo map you will see the glacier on the S/E side of the valley just after you cross the rail road tracks. There is some great riding near the face of the glacier as well as on top of it. I haven't found much crevasse sign there, but be careful anyway. There is a great ice cave on the right side of the glacier face as you look at the glacier. The opening usually isn't very big, but inside it is huge.

If the light goes flat, watch out for those 10' deep creek beds as you come back out to the road. We about lost a machine in one once!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Placer area

AKmud, can you give me a little more exact directions to this area. Do you park your rig there by the creek just before you head up towards the pass? I see the glacier on my mapsource but wanted to be sure we are in the right place. There are several of us headed that way in the morning. Anymore info you can give me would be great!! Thanks! EricL

P.S. Does anyone have any snow reports from Petersville??

When I go, we usually park at the small parking lot on the Turnagain pass side of the last Placer river bridge (only room for 3-4 trucks/trailers at best usually) and then run up the river, cross the tracks then head toward the Skookum glacier. Just watch out for open water on the river. Usually it isn't a problem, but you never know.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....