Thread: Truck vs. Snow Machine Success Rates

Default Truck vs. Snow Machine Success Rates

Just curious what mode of travel you guys use in between stands and how do you fare. I'm guessing the snow machine is the way to go, but for now I will have to make do with the ol Chevy.

You've got to use whatever works in the areas you hunt, I use my pickup,4 wheeler,snowmachine,boat,canoe,snow shoes,mtn bike, my mode of transportation is dictated by where i plan on hunting that day, my canoe i use primarily when i hunt a certain river, i can slip in quietly to farms i have permission along that waterway & dont have to worry about critters slipping in behind me, my boat is the best means of transport when i hunt corps engineer ground ( public land ) on the big river i can cover alot of ground fast, get in make a setup collect the critter & get out move up / down the shoreline about 1/2-3/4 mile do it again, its fast & quiet & the coyotes there are used to hearing boats along the waterways, my 4wheeler gets the nod when theres no or little snow, park it then walk into the area you plan on calling dont be afraid to walk at least a 1/2 mile from the wheeler as sound travels well in the cold & if they hear you comming in the jig is up even before you get in position, you want to be stealthy while hunting the road system, try using a mtn bike, easy to hide it no motor no noise, dont want to carry animals stash them close to the road & drive along after your done & toss them in your truck, If a pickup is your only means of transport then get a good pair of boots & get away from the truck & road the farther the better if snows deep don the snowshoes but GET AWAY FROM THE ROAD, use whatever your area dictates & always be ready to improvise,adapt & overcome, by being versatile in mode of transport you only tip the odds in your favor.

Default I tried my canoe today... but

The water was all white and hard. It was the hardest predator calling Ive ever done!!! Just messing with you predatorhunter01.

Quiet is good, if they aren't used to hearing what you coming in. I mostly walk and ski this time of the year and use my Snow machine to get where I want to go.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Thanks for the advice Predatorhuntr01. I am making do with what I have now, been going out every weekend atleast one day. Usually travel 2-300 miles round trip and make 3-4 stands in 12-16 hours. The problem I am running into with a truck, is just finding a place to park it. Most roads have a 3 foot snow bank on them as do the small side roads. It's still getting out and doing something, which is better than sitting on the couch anyday. But driving an hour or two in between parking spots, hiking in an hour or so, calling, hiking back, repeat has it's disadvantages. I was just curious if anybody is making it work for them up here.

Meadow Lakes

I tried it out of a truck for a couple seasons and it's hard. To get any real fur numbers you need a sled and to get off the road. There's just too much snow to use a vehicle to trap from
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

That's the plan eventually Ironartist, until then though, just avoiding cabin fever will have to do.
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default Either Mode

I have better luck from the truck than snowmachine, but either will work. As mentioned though, you need to get away from the vehicle (usually). I say that because I've driven into areas where there is nowhere to really park and I don't want to hike off the road because they're on steep hills. I've called right in the road with the truck less than 30 yards behind me and killed animals. The trick to doing that though is making sure you set up your e-caller right and you're ready to shoot right away if something pops out on the road. I don't even wait to start calling, I fire it up as soon as possible. The Coyote I shot like that was trying to come through the woods and I saw him before he even knew the truck was there. You're better off trying to call your way into an area, rather than driving through it and calling your way out. The area you're in will dictate how you setup (wind, trees, light...etc), but use it all to your advantage if you can and it'll help. Use the road or trail you're on to call if you can, animals will usually use it (path of least resistance). Of course, you're better off hiking a little bit if you can, but if you can't, just make do with what's available and be ready for a really quick shot. I got two Coyotes yesterday truck hunting. I hiked in off the road from the truck about 200 yards on the first one and about 1/4mile on the second one. The first came in at 8 minutes and the second in under 2 minutes. All in all a good day for up here.

If you need to hunt close to your snowmachine, get a white cover for it or make one out of white bed-sheets. A good friend had a nice Red Fox come running down his trail this year, saw his machine and hit Mach-10 the other direction before he could even get the rifle ready.
    Last edited by snowcamoman; 01-19-2010 at 11:04. Reason: spelling

Way to go snowman.....that is an epic day in AK this late in the winter. Both came from the same stand just hiking a little farther? Also, could you tell if they were this years pups or adults? Nice job, got any pics?

There is a segment of the coyote population that run along the highways for what they produce, i.e., roadkill, easy navigation, etc. They get very comfortable with vehicles as merely background noise.

Thanks snocamoman. It's good to hear that it can be done. I have only been doing long hikes in due to the limited spots that I have found to park and the activity at them which really takes up time. There are several places though where I could probably just pull over and call for a few minutes which I din't think about. I will definetly have to give it a try this weekend.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default Twins

I didn't think I'd ever get two Coyotes in a single day up here, but it finally happened. Now I almost feel Here's a picture of the two 32 pound males. I'm not a pro at aging Coyotes, but they definitely weren't pups by any means. Their teeth were wore down a bit on the canines and rear molars had moderate discoloration. They were shot at different stands, one at around 10AM and the other around 2:30PM. I've shot them at various hours this time of year. I actually have had pretty decent luck with Coyotes in January for some reason. Don't be afraid to hike into a spot that looks totally worthless and call, it might surprise you. The area the first one came into is less than 50 yards long by 20 yards across right in the middle of some thick willows and spruce. I killed one at the exact spot last year. It's now my "Honey-Hole" stand as I like to call it. Again, if I didn't have my rifle pointed exactly where that speaker was aimed, I would've never been able to pull the shot off. He came in on a dead run determined to get that Snowshoe hare screaming right beside me.

Nice job!!!!