Thread: whats the latest news on Caribou out of Kotzebue

Default whats the latest news on Caribou out of Kotzebue

Hi Guys,

Im planning a trip for Caribou out of Kotzebue and wondered if you would be willing to share in latest news or experiences you might have on Transporters, Areas, cost, gear weather Caribou movement

Most of the WACH herd is onthe Seward pennesula area, south on to the Nulato hills.

Recently, theres quite a few hundred in the Kobuk delta lakes and trees and a few down the pennensula, but who knows where thell be tomarrow.

Shed antler are everywhere.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

stranger's info is on the current locations of the caribou, but I'm assuming that you're planning a trip for next fall. If that is the case, use the search function and look for past threads about Kotzebue caribou. Much has been written in the past few years by hunters who have done what you're planning, and there is a wealth of information in those posts.

Default transporter already?

do you have dates and a transporter already?? they have implemented a quota system on the guides and transporters out of Kotz... if you dont have that locked up already you may have a problem as most guys will be booked by now...

If you need a transporter give Jim Kincaid at northwestern aviation a shout... he's probably booked but you could try him... just google northwestern aviation. I have used them numerous times and they are FANTASTIC...

feel free to drop me a PM if you want more detailed info about the area and caribou hunting in general.

Greg

I believe the quota out of Kotz is only on Park Service lands. Quite a few spots to get dropped that are not Park.
    Whatever anyone says on bou movement in past won't be relative next year. Their movements are not predictable.
    If you book with a good trahsporter you will do as well as can be expected.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I figured location would be tough to predict so far in advance, my tentative date is first week of september 2010. what do you guys think of that time. dont have a transporter yet so I'll PM you later this week Greg. I hear they raised the limit back to 2 bous for the coming season, have you guys heard anything on this? Are they out of velvet that time of year? what kind of weather can I expect up there. Ive hunted PWS for goat and bear and its nasty. I also hunted kodiak and its was nice. however I dont know what to expect for so far north.

In general, let me emphasize "general" the later in the fall it gets, the closer to Kotz the bou get. First week of Sept is a commen hunt date. Might be fine with that. Might be early.
    Again, a good transporter will make the difference.
    Here's a secret. ADF&G has a bunch of GPS collars on WACH bou. They have had bou with collars for maybe 20 years now. The years of data have provided migration patterns. You can pick a spot on the map, a date for that spot, and if F&G is helpful that day, you can see if that spot and date have seen bou regularly. Of course, that isn't a guarantee bou will be there again this fall. Once again, a good transporter will likely make all the difference.
    Jim Kincaid is supposed to be good.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default he's good

Jim Kincaid took me and a buddy out this last September, pretty much the end of the season, it actually snowed on us, white out conditions. We got three bou between us, but could have shot many more. Just after we were done with one of my partners, we were hiking back to camp and a small band maybe 25 or so, walked within 10 yards of us. They knew we were there and just looked at us. Most important to me on the trip was that Jim and his crew were safe and while he made no guarantees of where the bou were, he put us in an interesting spot. on the 21st of September I saw the biggest moose that I have ever seen, too bad it was on the 21st. Saw hundreds of caribou, maybe upwards of 300, and while we kept an eye out for bear, didn't see any. I think one of the posters here actually was in the same spot just before us and took a brownie. I think the herd is in good shape, judging from what I saw. Great area, and a nice adventure to add to the list.

Default hey there

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    Jim Kincaid took me and a buddy out this last September, pretty much the end of the season, it actually snowed on us, white out conditions. We got three bou between us, but could have shot many more. Just after we were done with one of my partners, we were hiking back to camp and a small band maybe 25 or so, walked within 10 yards of us. They knew we were there and just looked at us. Most important to me on the trip was that Jim and his crew were safe and while he made no guarantees of where the bou were, he put us in an interesting spot. on the 21st of September I saw the biggest moose that I have ever seen, too bad it was on the 21st. Saw hundreds of caribou, maybe upwards of 300, and while we kept an eye out for bear, didn't see any. I think one of the posters here actually was in the same spot just before us and took a brownie. I think the herd is in good shape, judging from what I saw. Great area, and a nice adventure to add to the list.
    yup, that was me.... check out my avatar pic, you'll recognize the "area" :-) I have a thread on here with pics of that moose that your talking about... the thread is called guess the size glad to hear you guys did well!!!

Greg

Default KOTZ weather

Depending on what time of Sept you go, here's the "typical" weather for Kotzebue:
    High's from 40 to 55F (obviously warmer the beginning of the month)
    Lows from 30 to 45F
    "Normal" precip for the month is 1.7 inches, which makes it the 2nd wettest month of the year, historically (Aug is the wettest). Most of this precip is in the form of rain, but freezing rain and snow can also be expected.
    Usually just over 1 inch of snow falls.
    http://paot.arh.noaa.gov/climate.php...ue&precip=true
    The 1st of Sept will have almost 15 hours of daylight, the 30th will have just over 11 hours:
    http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php
    The National Weather Service operates out of Kotzebue and broadcasts a zone forecast over the VHF on channel 68 at 9:40am and 3:30pm daily.

This here map, MT's a talkin';
    http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=game.wah

As for Jim Kincaid, he bought Northwest aviation from my good friend, Jim Rood, and Im fairly sure I remember Jim K flying for Jim R back in the 80's.....and I have yet to hear a complain about 'em, though Jim K dosent fly on Saturdays.
    Ive flown with 'em a few times, nice guy.

If Jim Rood feels confident in him, in both buying his business and flying for and after 'em, Id venture to say hes among the "Best" around here.

Kotzebue, PM me, I might be commin' yer way inna couple days , as I may have the parts I need. You Got yer Parts?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks to all for the info. I'll be giving Jim a call shortly. Good Hunting.

You should give him a call ASAP, I contacted him in September to book our float hunt up there and again in December to see if he got the permit to transport into the Noatak preserve. In December he was filling up his book for the 2010 season. Good Luck