Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage quality?

Default Savage quality?

I've been looking for another 30.06 and have seen a few Savage's on AKlist. What is the reputation of Savage regarding their long guns (new and used firearms)?

I've also have seen them new (not sure what model as I am not familiar with their nomenclature) for around $400 +/- . Are they worth it? Are they reasonable quality & reliable? Are Savages Made in USA--or a USA company that is made in Japan or somewhere else?

Thanks for any insight.

Tim

Have owned about a half dozen and currently have a 6mm Norma BR and a .223. Never shot the 6mm yet but the .223 with it's light sporter barrel is the only rifle I've ever owned that will routinely shoot under 1/2 inch every time it's hit the range.
    The 300 Win Mag that I owned was the most accurate 300 I ever shot.

They are ugly, they are reasonably smooth and function good. Had to send the .223 back because it would not feed correctly and Savage repaired it quickly and for free. Their accutrigger is first rate. They are starting to cost more and are not the bargin they once were but in my experience (on average) are the most accurate over the counter centerfire rifles made today. The bolt and barrel attachment allow you to change calibers easily.
    As far as I know they are all made in America.
    Tennessee

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey tim.. worked up loads for the .243 savage, and can cover 3 100gn nosler pt's with a nickle now.. usually all three are touching.

the .308 i am still working on the percise load but it is very close to the .243 now i think. they may not have the fit and finish of some models.. but can sure out shoot some... and HUNT_AK... can take care of some of that finish work for ya..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My experiences coincide with Snowwolfe's. Their finish isn't fancy, but they're really solid. Reliable and accurate, too. I've always felt I got a great buy for the money. I've got a sporterweight lefty stainless 223 (don't remember the model) that's downright spooky. It's never seen a factory load or handload that it couldn't shoot into less than an inch at 100. I've never seen another rifle do that. By actual count I can document over 10,000 rounds through it, and only now is it starting to creep up on the wrong side of an inch. How can you beat that? I've paid more than twice as much for rifles that were sure perty, but neither shot as well nor lasted as long.

Way back when (1970's) I had one of their singlshot target models in 22-250. I put a whale of a lot of handloads through it for rockchucks and groundsquirrels in the west. Sold it to a friend when I moved up here, and he's STILL using it a lot and proud of the accuracy. Again, how can you beat that?

hap

Plan on replacing the recoil pad on a 30-06 class Savage. The stock shape is not the best for mitigating recoil and the pad is a must.

The old Savage triggers are completely adjustable and outstanding triggers. the Accu-Trigger is the answer to the question only bean-counters were asking.

And they are ugly...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Have owned about a half dozen and currently have a 6mm Norma BR and a .223. Never shot the 6mm yet but the .223 with it's light sporter barrel is the only rifle I've ever owned that will routinely shoot under 1/2 inch every time it's hit the range.
    The 300 Win Mag that I owned was the most accurate 300 I ever shot.

They are ugly, they are reasonably smooth and function good. Had to send the .223 back because it would not feed correctly and Savage repaired it quickly and for free. Their accutrigger is first rate. They are starting to cost more and are not the bargin they once were but in my experience (on average) are the most accurate over the counter centerfire rifles made today. The bolt and barrel attachment allow you to change calibers easily.
    As far as I know they are all made in America.
    Yes the days of picking up Savage rifles for next to nothing are done I remember 6 or 7 years ago you could pick up a good used savage for 225 buck sure no accu-trigger but still, if you were asking more the 275 for one people thought you were nuts now it seems pretty common to see them around 325 and higher... Now days it seems the rifle to get would be the new marlin's looks like a Savage and have a very similiar trigger as well. From what I read they shoot very well... I think wildwest guns has a smoking deal on them right now... Also all Savages rifle are made in America I think Browning and the Weatherby vangaurdsds are the only ones made in Japan along with Howa the remington 798 are made in Europe...

Default Savage

While the Savage rifles aren't usually fancy they have produced over 4,000,000 of the 110 models. The price to performance ratio has sold many of these I'm sure.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have a few of them and they are shooters out of the box. Some of the none accutrigger have rough trigger, but a basix trigger will fix that. I wish that they would bring back the model 99

Hey Brian, did I see you at Alaska Custom Firearms the other day? Looked like you pulled out and went into Wiggys afterward...maybe it wasn't you, though...

Default Savage

I just picked up a Savage 111 in a .300 WM and shot it for the first time yesterday. I am no expert but I was pretty impressed with it. Nice and light too.

I got the package deal with a scope for $419. The scope is nothing special and will probably bee replaced before hunting season.

But all in all a great deal.

Default Thumbs up for the Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Here's to Life! View Post
    I just picked up a Savage 111 in a .300 WM and shot it for the first time yesterday. I am no expert but I was pretty impressed with it. Nice and light too.

I got the package deal with a scope for $419. The scope is nothing special and will probably bee replaced before hunting season.

But all in all a great deal.

That's what I was thinking of doing too. The Savage website says they weigh 6.5 lbs out of the box, compared to 7.5+ for the Rem. 700SPS/Ruger Hawkeye/etc...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Also all Savages rifle are made in America I think Browning and the Weatherby vangaurdsds are the only ones made in Japan along with Howa the remington 798 are made in Europe...

Until recently I didn't know Weatherby's were made in Japan, I knew about Browning though. I found an '06 at the gun show for $300; nice stock and the bluing was in great shape. It was an Interarms (which I thought were made in Virgina, at least I thought my dad's .44 Dragoon was) and it says Alexandria, VA on one side and Made in Japan for Howa on the other. Guess it doesn't matter for just a range gun, but I was wanting an American gun, hence the Savage question.

Seems like most have given a thumbs up to the Savage.

Tim

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

Until recently I didn't know Weatherby's were made in Japan,
    Tim
    Since when?
    IIRC, in 1994 they started making them in the USA.
    I have a MK V that says "Made in USA", right on the receiver.

Has there been a change since that time?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty, the Vanguards (Howa's) are made in Japan. That being siad, It's hard to beat a howa for a solid accurate action.

To the OP, 20 years ago Savages were crap. Now I have read lots of good stuff about them. Very accurate and they have been developing very good stocks lately. I think Savage is the most serious large manufactures of rifles in the business today. That being said, their actions may not be quite as good as a REM 700 which is not asd good as a Howa... IMO

Mark

Default sold on savage

TccAK71

I have a 30-06 savage 111 model. Nothing special to it, but it shoots really well. The accutrigger is very nice and mine came from the box with a 3-4 lb pull! It is not picky about ammo, about 1" with anything but significantly less with fedral blue box stuff, not the premiums! I hate the accustock, just feels cheap....but am hesitant to change something on the gun that has more potential for accuracy than I do. But yes, definately get one, if you don't like it you can sell it for about what you paid for it and then spend a little more on the Sub MOA Vanguards! I personally do not like a super light weight rifle since I don't hunt in gnarly mountains. A little more weight helps take the slap that savages put on ya!

But for the money they are great! I am looking into getting another smaller caliber for longer range shots on smaller vermon, 22-250 or 25-06! Descions descions! Have fun making your pick!

They are a bit ugly but they are shooters!! in the under 1,000.00 range i dont think there is a gun out there that will out shoot them!

Savage probably has enough praise going in this thread, but I'll keep it going and say they are great guns. Ive had about 6 and they have all been great. I like that they are lightweight and you can still get iron sights on them.

I wouldnt hesitate to pick up one if your in the market.

I currently own 3. Model 110 in 30.06 and .270 Model 116 in 7 rem mag.
    Never had a bit of trouble with any of them. All of mine are pre accu trigger. I have seen very few older Savages at gun shows. A couple of the guys I hunt with bought the accu trigger models.....both say they like them, but both also bought older Savages in the past year also...

Had a conversation with a friend yesterday worth passing along. The other guy likes Savages as much as I do.

I said something about my impulse to carve a stock out of a nice piece of wood, polish the metal to a high gloss and reblue. Just fancy it up some.

He scratched his head and said, yeah he liked his enough to have the same impulse. "But it would be kinda like repainting a claw hammer."

And that's it. They're not fancy or highly finished. They're tools. Ones that work really well.

I've only owned one Savage - a 112BVSS in .308 and it was about a 3/4 MOA rifle out of the box. Savage puts a good barrel on their rifles, but they are cosmetically a little weak. I like them for a range gun, but prefer a Model 70, Mauser, or Springfield for a hunting bolt action.

Default One more praise:

I've heard a lot of people talk about their one hole groups. For years and years, I'd just about thought it was a lie, that either it wasn't possible, or I'd just never get that good on the bench. My buddy's Savage Tactical .30-06 is the only gun I've ever shot a one hole five round group with, period. You could barely tell that it wasn't just one shot. Stunning accuracy for the money.

Now, If I could shoot that well all the time. I'm tempted to buy four Canon image stabilized binoculars, gut 'em, and bolt the innards to my guns! That should stop the targets from movin' around eh?!

Aside from weight, I wonder why stabilization hasn't been brought to rifles or handguns?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast