Thread: Gun Show finds?

Default Gun Show finds?

Boredom got the better of me today so decided to warm up my truck and drive out to Wasilla. My quest was to find a Beretta 21 Bobcat. Seen a couple and they had price tags ranging from $300 (used) to $350 new. Sellers were not in the mood to dicker so I passed. Managed to find a vendor with a huge supply of powder and picked up a can of V135 that I've been searching for about two months.
    Drove into Anchorage and went to Sportsman Warehouse and picked up the Beretta for $285. Seen VERY few left handed rifles and managed to see a couple of people that I havent talked to in awhile.
    Seemed to be more gun tables instead of nonrelated crap so would concede the show had improved since the last time we visited. Worst thing was seing a vendor (who is at all the shows) bragging he will order any gun I wanted for "only" 15 %commision! Seen some very nice custom knives at one table in the main lobby.
    Overall would have to say the show was worth the price of admission even though I didnt find anything other than the powder.

By the way, been using a local Eagle River guy for FFL transfers recently. If you are AD or retired military he charges $10 per transfer and will research his sources to find the best prices as well. Non military fee is $25. A huge savings on new guns over Buds Guns, Gunbrokers, etc. He has done about 6 transfers for me in the last few months and comes with a thumbs up. His name is Tim Shaw and his phone number is in the ER book.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Boredom got the better of me today so decided to warm up my truck and drive out to Wasilla. My quest was to find a Beretta 21 Bobcat. Seen a couple and they had price tags ranging from $300 (used) to $350 new.

Drove into Anchorage and went to Sportsman Warehouse and picked up the Beretta for $285. Seen VERY few left handed rifles and managed to see a couple of people that I havent talked to in awhile.

By the way, been using a local Eagle River guy for FFL transfers recently. If you are AD or retired military he charges $10 per transfer and will research his sources to find the best prices as well. Non military fee is $25. A huge savings on new guns over Buds Guns, Gunbrokers, etc. He has done about 6 transfers for me in the last few months and comes with a thumbs up. His name is Tim Shaw and his phone number is in the ER book.
    Really? Buds' Guns is the best internet prices I've seen. He can beat 'em though, huh? Good deal.

Lotta people at the show today! I picked up a Hornady case trimmer for $30 in like-new condition. Gun prices weren't that great, like Snowwolfe said. I've seen better prices on Alaska's List and Great Northern.

Love the show, its one of my favorites.

Btw, what is an "AD"?

Tim

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Worst thing was seing a vendor (who is at all the shows) bragging he will order any gun I wanted for "only" 15 %commision!
    Just out of curiosty, why was seeing that guy the "Worst thing".

And, how is promising to order any gun and sell it for 15% over his price, bragging?

I've done business with him. He's a good guy to do business with IME.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

AD= Active duty

Got some .308 surplus for a decent price. The place was PACKED around 11:30. Shoulder-to-shoulder. Now that I've been shopping more I noticed how much higher the prices were in general than online or new
    Try Arctic Ammo for your transfers $9.95.

Pretty darn crowded, but worth the $5. Did see some NIB M77 MKII's at good prices along with some nice 7X57's. Had to think real hard about that 6.5X55 Fwt, but out of fun money, oh well. Good show.

I picked up a few boxes of bullets at pretty good prices. I went home with another .22 pistol, because it was too of a deal to pass up. A friend left with a Remington 700 in .222 and a chronograph. There were other deals I had to leave behind.

Yep, it was a good show.

I just wish more dealers would show up with some new guns and the Wasilla show has just about outgrown Wasilla High.

Default Sad I wasn't there

I was taking with a buddy who was there--wishing I had made the drive up--but then reading, I think differently. It always surprises me, that with the extra competition in Anchortown, the prices for guns and transfers are not better. I can go up and find better sources for powder and primers, but when I see the prices, they are higher than here on the Kenai. One of our local shops has only charged $20 for transfers--ever since I have used him. Thats not his buddy deal or a special for LE ot AD--which he might have a better price for--never asked since it doesn't apply to me. But any regular Joe pays $20. And, his new gun prices are quite reasonable--way cheaper than I have seen in the ANC shops. His $800-$1000 range guns seem a full $80-$100 less than some of the popular shops in ANC. **one rub is we have sales tax down here though.

It really seems to work in this particular dealer's favor--if I am buying new, I go to him since I can likely get it cheaper through him than Gunbroker with shipping and $20 transfer, and support local dealer. If its used--which is what I am usually looking for--he is more than happy to receive for me at teh $20 fee.

What kind of knives did the one table have? I thought about trying to share a table to part with some Ingrams, Halfrich, Dozier etc.--need to trade/sell some sharp steel for steel that goes boom.

Anybody see anyone with Reloader 7? IMR 4227?

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Not a Show Find,

But found a nice old, and well used, Ruger 3-screw 41 mag at Brown Bear Guns in Kenai today with dies, bullets, some brass, holster and ammo belt for $349 out the door. Has fair amount of bluing wear, but couldn't leave it behind.

Will try it out on Sunday. Figured, if it shot poorly, it may have to go off to Clements for a 44spl. conversion.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I picked up a nice, older Thompson Contender cabrine with an 18" bull barrel. Couldn't find any 223 dies for it.

I thought it was a really good show this year. Kevin and Margaret who were running it have committed to keep on running it. This was their first time, so it should be even better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    What kind of knives did the one table have? I thought about trying to share a table to part with some Ingrams, Halfrich, Dozier etc.--need to trade/sell some sharp steel for steel that goes boom.

Anybody see anyone with Reloader 7? IMR 4227?

Will
    The knives were all customs made by ( I assume) the vendor trying to sell them. Very nice quality. Nice leather as well.
    Seemed the vendor selling the powder had about every brand made except the 8 pound jug of IMR 4831 I was looking for, lol. Seriously though, he was really well stocked.
    Northland Guns, 907 232-2509.
    Tennessee

The knives were all customs made by ( I assume) the vendor trying to sell them. Very nice quality. Nice leather as well.
    Robert Ball was the knife guy. He does make a nice looking knife.