Thread: bait stealing

Default bait stealing

Alright last week I made a set,caught a bobcat. This week made four sets and each day I checked them they stole my bait, I even tied the bait to a tree,thinking if they pull on the bait they would put more pressure on the trap and set it off, didn't work stole my bait. Is there any mods to make a hair trigger or I'm using to big of traps. I'm using duke #2 and 3s any info would be great. Thanks

try filing down your dogs a little to fine tune your traps.

Is it possible that its birds stealing your bait or are you seeing the bobcat tracks on the trap.

I don't think its birds, the bait is in a hole with rocks or wood on it, in there in cubbys. The last bait was wired to a chain. But who knows

My guess would be its a weasel thats stealing your bait. One of two things will determine the situation. 1. trailcam or 2. make another cubby, but smaller near your set, use a #1LS or a 1.5 coilspring, or a 110 at the mouth of the cubby. Make it small enough to no matter what the critter does, it steps on the pan to access the cubby. While trapping in WA for bobcats, I always had a couple small cage traps near my cat sets, to catch all the weasels that would steal all my bait, daily. I would asume your using a LDC (long distance call) lure at your sets. Weasels love it, as they do like the bobcat cubby sets, with cat gland or urine, and a cubby built with food, to the weasel, he thinks it just another cat that hid his food for later date, free meal and weasels are notorious for finding free meals.

I used to run 100 cages for cats in WA, its a pain in the butt having 100 sets to rebait, so I know your pain. I would take a small vegetable can and clean it after it was used, then drill a hole in the bottom of it. Wire your bait and put the wire through the hole. put a piece of hardware cloth thats just a bit bigger than the opening of the can and force it into can. Wire the can upside down to a nail on the tree in your cubby. This keeps them from getting to your bait but still allows for the smell to escape. With bobcats, the shiny can is just another attractor in my opinion. I bait all my mink cubbies like this, voles in my area eat a whole herring in a night, with the can and wire, it last until I need to change it out with a fresh one. Just my thoughts. Good luck with it. I sure miss chasing bobtails, my best year was 61 in a season cage trapping Arizona desert country.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Thanks all for the info! Checked my traps today and caught two foxes,I'm guessing there the bait grabers. For two of the sets,the other set I walked up on in seen a pack rat with my bait running off to his den right next to my set,talk about feeling dumb! So I fixed that deal,for the other sets I found I was setting the traps to close to the bait whole,at least I think? Moved the traps back and caught the foxes. Who knows I'm a newbie

You adjust the pan weight by loosening (or tightening) the screw/nut that holds the pan on. Easy to do and can measure it by putting a weight on the pan to see where it fires at. You probably dont want a true "hair trigger" though, you want a full pad catch if possible...