Thread: 40mm or 50mm Scope?

Default 40mm or 50mm Scope?

Ok, I'm looking for a scope for my new predator rifle. Remington 22-250... I can't make up my mind.... I don't know if I'd like to spend the money for a Leupold VX-3 4.5 X 14 50mm with B&C reticle or be a little more conservative with my $muhlaa$ and get a VX-3 4.5 X 14 40mm B&C reticle. I want to hunt at night, is the 50mm a must? I've never had or used a scope that big so I'm curious as to how much better it is. Is it a pain having to buy taller scope mounts? How bout lugging it around the field? If the 40mm is ok then I may just go with a VX-2, 4 X 12. Any suggestions on sizing would be great but I'm sticking to a Leupold. I don't want the VX-3L either, their a little out of my price range. Thanks

I wouldn't say the 50mm is a must but when making the decision I wanted every advantage I could get. Nearly all predator hunting is in low light so I opted for the 50mm. The higher rings are not a big issue to find in most places.

Default Tube

If you intend to do a lot of night hunting ! I would suggest that you increase the tube size of your scope to 30mm or larger. This coupled with a larger objective lens allows the light to transfer thru and gives a better illumination. At night magnification may be/is less critical, than seeing the cross hairs or their location on the target.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Get the VX-3 in 50mm and be done with it. The VX-3 has better glass then the VX-2 plus the 3 has a raised notch on the power ring making it easier to adjust while wearing gloves.I have an older VX-2 50mm and I also have the VX-L in 50mm it is nice but nothing special. It is alot nicer than the older VX-2 ,but the extra 100 for covers sucked. Next one will be a VX-3 or might look at the new VX-7 after I win the lotery

Either one you pick, I would go with the 50mm. Good Hunting!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Objective

I have the VX3 3.5x14x50mm with 30mm tube and lit reticle and also the 4.5x14x40mm scope with B&C. If you want a better night scope, get the 30mm tube with the lit reticle, it'll help. In comparing my scopes though, my Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 is clearer and I can see better than either of the Leupys. Another great option is the Bushnell Elite 6500 with 30mm tubes, those things gather light better than all of the above mentioned scopes. If you're set on Leopold, get the 3.5x14x50 w/ 30mm tube and you'll be happy.

Thanks guys... Looks like another purchase that will make the wife love me even more. 50MM it is....

Thumbs up Go 50mm..

Quote Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
    I wouldn't say the 50mm is a must but when making the decision I wanted every advantage I could get. Nearly all predator hunting is in low light so I opted for the 50mm. The higher rings are not a big issue to find in most places.
    I agree, I use a 6x20x50 on my 22-250 and couldn't be more happy. It has worked flawlessly for all of my predator hunts.