Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pheasants in Wasilla

Default Pheasants in Wasilla

this morning (Sat, Jan 16) I was driving to drop the kid off for the ski shuttle in Palmer, as I was driving on Fireweed (between the Parks HWY and Fairview loop) my son and I saw a lone Mature Male Ring neck Pheasant crossing fireweed near the Frito Lay distributer bldg, we watched it for a brief moment, I had no camera to take a pic, Do you think this bird might have escaped a captive breeder nearby or do we have them here in the fields. Just wondering how it's surviving. I thought it was neat to see one.
    Last edited by kahahawai; 01-16-2010 at 09:28. Reason: mispelling

Escaped pheasants have set up residence on the lower Kenai peninsula for many years now. Nests with eggs have been found in the wilderness around Ninilchik in the spring, so the formerly captive birds have reconnected with their natural survival instincts and are making a go of it.

The same could be happening in Palmer, but chances are that you saw an escapee. As long as they can find stuff to eat, they will survive.

By the way, the season is "open".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I saw a few in my subdivion a few years back between palmer and wasilla. There is a farmer at Pt McKenzie area a few years ago that I talked to that has hunts for pheasant on his property. He raises them and you pay a fee 20 bucks a bird if I recall properly with a minimum of 5 birds, and he lets them go. You hunt them and if you find strays that others missed they were like a bonus. Could be some have migrated and made it.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...nting/9021.htm

We've had 2 of them escape from our coupe they are real crazy birds in the pen. Luckily I can poke them in the eye with my little ruger before they get too far. MMMMMMMMMM phesant for dinner maybe I ought to go out to the pen?????????????
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default how it survives

some one at the frito lay place threw a bunch of corn out for the ducks i'm sure thats what the pheasant has been eating...where it came from is anybodies guess
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Same deal inEagle River valley. A fella down in the Riverview subdivision had a small scale Noah's Ark fenced in his yard/garage and had animals escape different times of the year. I too have spotted pheasants in the woods there.

The wolf pack loved stoppin by his place.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Cocks in AK

Yep, I've seen them down near Homer. I had to blink a couple of times, but sure enough....just like the ditch parrots we jumped down home in Montana.

Next to ptarmigan, they are a beautiful creation of nature.

Default Used to be a guy...

That raised them out by mile 49 parks. He also let them go, trying to get a little hunting stock going. The foxes ran around with big grins on their snouts for three years running. No more cocks now
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I just saw one fly across the Parks hwy and land in the ditch in Wasilla on Thurs morn. I couldn't believe it at first

We had one sitting on our porch stoop for about an hour earlier this winter. He left rather quickly when we came home and started looking for the bow 'n' arrow

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default My 12 gauge catches more birds than your nets will do

Any day of the week. Sorry to say
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I like a clean headshot with a 22 cal of some sort I don't like biting into lead shot.
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I like a clean headshot with a 22 cal of some sort I don't like biting into lead shot.
    And how often have you hunted pheasants down in prarie land? Good luck with the 22 method.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    And how often have you hunted pheasants down in prarie land? Good luck with the 22 method.
    PRAIRE LAND
    Joat I live in the valley and the 22 cal is for my escapees, **** their good tasteing birds
    Μολών λαβέ

There could be more to come in valley. I seen a hen cross fairview loop last week. About a half mile from the Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    ...I live in the valley and the 22 cal is for my escapees...
    Tagging escapees from the tower doesn't count as "hunting". You can't "hunt" for wild pheasants with a 22 in their normal habitat. You'll need a shotgun and a dog or you'll go hungry (they are the BEST eating birds though!).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

i ran one over last saturday near main street in wasilla
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i ran one over last saturday near main street in wasilla
    You're confused. That was a politician. When they're all puffed up, they look similar.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

the pheasant population down here is thriving, only problem is that they are 95% on the homer bench, w/in city limits or on private land.
    i have a friend that lives out east road and he has a simple box-propped-with-a-stick that he can trigger from his shop.. i think he got nearly 30 birds last year.
    i have permission to hunt on about 10 acres, but i've only been once with my bow and we didn't see any.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    You're confused. That was a politician. When they're all puffed up, they look similar.

watch out your gonna get this thread closed down! its turning political!
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast