Thread: Grand Canyon Pics

Default Grand Canyon Pics

Some pics of my trip in the Grand our in my albums for those interested.

Default The pics

Where are you hiding them ??

Sid, click on his username and it will link you to his page. The pics are located their...

Default Chris, do you have a paddle by paddle

story on your Grand Canyon trip??
    who went?
    just you?
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Hey Max

Not much for long stories. It was such a nice trip.

Day one: Flying sucks, delayed airplanes, get to vegas late, find a screw in my brothers tire, get it fixed, grab 8 30 packs tecate, and 4 gallons hard liquor and go to flagstaff to get our shuttle driver, off to lees ferry (put in). Sleep. Wake up to find my brothers raft has a broken valve, replace. Get aquainted with group of misfits, One PHD in environmental sciences, one cop, one seasonal forest service employee, one seasonal biologist/ski bum, my brother, his girlfriend, and I. Doctor (permit holder), Cop, and Forest service employee were kayakers. Rowing an 18 foot gear barge was surprisingly easy once I figured out you have to be three strokes ahead of whatever you want to do with it.

Day two through eighteen -
    Group dynamics were pretty good, no meltdowns, very few arguments. The permit holder didn't want any drinkers on the trip, but he seemed ok with it once we proved we could row boats. No flips, two kayaker swims due to wicked eddy lines. I screwed up twice, once in house rock (wasn't worried about it while it was happening, just didn't mean to run the hole on the left). Also ran the right side of the hole in crystal, this one did worry me, even as it was going on, I got spun 180 on the foam pile and released though, so it was all good. My raft princess (the biologist) left my boat immediately after this mistake, said she wanted to ride with my brother and his girlfriend the rest of the day, so I played a beer per rapid in the gems, ran big lines, avoided big holes and had a blast!.
    Lava Falls, scouting this rapid sucks, the longer you stare at it the more likely it is you will pee in your drysuit. Looks like a five, runs like a big four(with the possibility of epic failures) fairly easy right to left move, only made it to center and took a beating in cheese grater, but I got far enough over not to be on the rocks.

Well, I gotta do some work around here.

Peace,
    Chris

Default Thanks Chris

sounds like a great trip..
    I grew up on the Green river upstream from your location about 500 miles.
    we had a raft livery at flaming george and started rafting down as far as Moab back in the late 1960,s
    I miss that country sometimes terrible bad..
    in the 1960,s there were few that floated rivers so it was an amazing time,
    did you see alot of other permit holder groups on your trip?

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default We saw a few.

We hopscotched with four different groups, all fun loving rafters. One solo guy hooked up with another group after he flipped the first day, one huge group of partying raft guides from Idaho, a pair of older gentlemen running fourteen foot cats, and another group that consisted of a cat, raft, and a dory. AMAZING TRIP. I have never rafted flaming gorge, but I've done the moab daily, the green river daily near green river, westwater, and a few others in the area. It's a sport I will do until death I'm sure.

Chris

Default Nice!

VERY nice!
    I'm jealous!!!

So, Where's the Bighorn? (OLD eyes, you understand)