Thread: Grand Canyon Pics

Default Grand Canyon Pics

The pics I promised our in my albums.

Chris

Cool photos- thanks for sharing.

Default Nice and Enjoy

The Rep point for sharing. Great Photo's and again thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures.

Moose-O

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Very Nice Shots

That had to have been a way cool trip.How big a party went down?How many days?Most definitely some pretty country.

Default Party

Seven of us, three kayakers, two boatmen, and two passengers. Eighteen days on the river covering 226 miles of pure bliss.

Wow! So, did both rafters go straight through Crystal? And what was the result of that? I chickened out and went right. Not sure I'd do any different next time. Must have been fun though; that is one big sucker.

What you call Cheese Grater I recognize as the bottom of Lava. I've not heard it called that before, but I got close enough to that rock on the right I about got scraped off. I remember staring at it a long time before running it.

What a blast of a trip you must of had! All the pics brought back such great memories. I NEED to go back.

So how did you guys dress for this? Morning temps right around freezing, and highs in the 60's some days; I'm wondering what was required. Did you wear drysuits most days? Stuff them with fleece? Not an issue?

Default Jim

I actually really screwed up in crystal, but came out smelling like a rose. I entered, started moving right, and it went so nicely as I plowed the lateral wave that I thought I had it made (and relaxed!!), but it sucked me back in about 20 feet from the hole and I couldn't do anything about it so I squared up and pushed, entered the hole, spun a complete 180 on the foam pile and pulled hard through the second hole and was released. It sent me right to the gravel bar below it though and I had a hell of a time getting right of it, but I made it. My brother kept pulling and went right easy enough. I think if I ever row an 18 footer through there again I'll just go left and take the holes over there, there not too bad.

Lava looked and scouted like a class V rapid, but felt more like a big 4 when I was in it, it is still the only rapid I have approached and instead of the calming adrenaline surge I usually get, my mouth went void of all moisture and I though OH @#&*!!. Once through the V wave my plan was to pull left to avoid the rock (I WAS SCARED OF THAT ROCK AND DEVILISHLY SWIRLING EDDY), but I got spit from the V wave facing foreward so I pushed hard to get over to the hole and used the extra time sideways to make sure I made it, then a hard hi-side was all it took to complete the run, it worked out well. My brother was in a 16 foot Maravia and he had time to square up and punch it straight on, and made it. I still think sockdologer was the best ride on the river though, as it was a huge maw in the center of the river with no way to scout, just look for the horizon, hope it is a tounge and stay straight.

Dry suits every day, rafters were using a two peice usually (nrs pants and top), with baselayers and pile underneath. Kayakers used a one peice. Proved to be a little cool unless you were rowing, so me and my passenger would switch off to stay at a comfortable temperature, as one person would get hot rowing, the other would be cold and need to move a bit. Worked really well. It seemed we would launch about 10:45 to 11:30 A.M. and that would get put us past the coldest part of the morning (meaning the frost was water on our footwear), and once moving it was nice. NRS stormhoods or 3 fleece hats would be a good recommendation so that you have a dry (or warm) hat when you wanted one. Zero degree sleeping bag is a must, a fleece liner to go inside is a HUGE bonus for comfort, and if you sleep under the stars put a rainfly or tarp over your sleeping bag to keep the condensation down (the exterior of my bag was soaked in the AM quite a few times, but at least it wasn't frosted over.

Day after the trip: New years eve in Vegas at a 4 star hotel, was fun walking up to the counter smelling of river funk in long johns around all those nice suits and dresses.

Very Nice Pictures. Thanks for sharing. And it looked like a lot of fun, but that is a little (l0t) too much white water for my ability.

Looks like you all have a great time.

Default Crystal

Has sure changed over the years, not too long ago it was not so forgiving. Can't wait till November, it'll be #5 for me. What a magical place.